Where to buy brakes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Where to buy brakes? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need brakes for my 05 wrx wagon and someone a while back posted a site that had some nice ...

Where to buy brakes?

I need brakes for my 05 wrx wagon and someone a while back posted a site that had some nice kits with front and rear pads and rotors with stoptech, dba, and something else that you could mix and match. There were also packages that included stainless lines with the pads and rotors. Anybody know what website I may be thinking of because I can't find it again?

Also how do you know when you need to replace the struts (shocks)? Car has 108k with stock struts and rotors.

Thanks
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

your struts are probably shot. really bouncy?

i ordered my brakes from KNS brakes. com for daily driving i just went with centric premium rotors, stoptech pads.

That is definitely the website that I was looking for! I wasn't even close to thinking of that name. They don't seem bouncy like a truck or van would. When I hit small stuff like potholes and such it seems much more jarring and loud than I remember it being.

It's just a daily driver so I don't need anything special. Are the Centric Premium rotors worth the cost over the C-tek and the Hawk HPS over the Stoptech Street Performance pads? I REALLY need to change the fluid too. I see a lot of people recommend the ATE Super Blue. Is that a good choice for daily driver in Indiana or is there cheaper "generic" fluid that will do what I need?
    Last edited by auceny; 01-14-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by auceny View Post
    That is definitely the website that I was looking for! I wasn't even close to thinking of that name. They don't seem bouncy like a truck or van would. When I hit small stuff like potholes and such it seems much more jarring and loud than I remember it being.

It's just a daily driver so I don't need anything special. Are the Centric Premium rotors worth the cost over the C-tek and the Hawk HPS over the Stoptech Street Performance pads? I REALLY need to change the fluid too. I see a lot of people recommend the ATE Super Blue. Is that a good choice for daily driver in Indiana or is there cheaper "generic" fluid that will do what I need?
    i believe the hawk pads were more expensive then the ones i have and not sure. i was recommended the premiums. for the small price more i bought them and they work well. for fluid i just run generic DOT 3 from the auto parts store.

Knsbrakes.com is it...great site there.

Centric Premium rotors are great for the price. I recommend them. Stoptech pads aren't bad. I have them on my STI. But the Hawk HPS pads will have a little better bite on them. Stoptechs will be fine just for daily driving. The Hawks are good to have if you like doing some spirited sprints and some canyon/curve runs.

Struts are a wear item. Over time, they are gonna wear out. And especially at 108k miles, they are probably doneski. Look for KYB GR2s as a good OEM replacement if you are just DDing.
    Struts are a wear item
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Knsbrakes.com is it...great site there.

Centric Premium rotors are great for the price. I recommend them. Stoptech pads aren't bad. I have them on my STI. But the Hawk HPS pads will have a little better bite on them. Stoptechs will be fine just for daily driving. The Hawks are good to have if you like doing some spirited sprints and some canyon/curve runs.

Struts are a wear item. Over time, they are gonna wear out. And especially at 108k miles, they are probably doneski. Look for KYB GR2s as a good OEM replacement if you are just DDing.
    Struts are a wear item

this^^

i havent had a problem with spirited driving and these stoptech pads. they still stop fine when i want them to

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Struts are a wear item
    Couple questions about the struts. Is there an awesome "how to" on here for an 05 wrx wagon? Do I need to buy boots and mounts along with the struts? Is it something a person with limited knowledge can do? I've replaced plugs, pads, headlights on this car and shocks and stuff on trucks.

there is a few how too's around just search here on on google. i just had mine off last weekend . you minus well get some lowering springs while your at it and taking them apart anyway. id say the install is pretty straight forward and just by looking at it you can see what needs to be taken off. for your rear struts youll need to remove your rear seats which i think is only a few bolts so you can reach your struts mounts. if your having trouble fitting the struts back up undo the top bolt on the sway bars so you get more flex and room to work with

Couple questions about the struts. Is there an awesome "how to" on here for an 05 wrx wagon? Do I need to buy boots and mounts along with the struts? Is it something a person with limited knowledge can do? I've replaced plugs, pads, headlights on this car and shocks and stuff on trucks.
    Yeah there are some how-tos around. Just google them or check Youtube. Even if you find a car that isn't yours and similar, the basics are the same. Biggest thing is you'll need a spring compressor (buy at harbor freight for cheap, or rent from Autozone/Advanced for cheap).

It'd be wise to replace the top-hats to something like Group-N top hats. They are kind of like a large bushing in a sense and can also wear down over time.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

just make sure it is your struts. sway bar bushings being bad can make a loud popping noise.
    usually when struts go bad they have more jounce and play then before. usually 1-1.5 jounces is good and 3 or more is shot

Ok I ordered the Centric Premium rotors and the Stoptech pads. While changing, or shortly after, I will need to completely change my brake fluid. Any advice on how to do this? I'm sure it's stock fluid so it ALL needs to go.

I use a Motive Bleeder. Love it!
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    I use a Motive Bleeder. Love it!
    I had one in my online cart but didn't get it. Can you easily/cheaply buy other connectors for different vehicles?

I had one in my online cart but didn't get it. Can you easily/cheaply buy other connectors for different vehicles?
    I don't know for sure, but you could always make one out of a spare reservoir cap.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

just get a friend to sit in the car and pump brakes when i bleed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast