Coilovers or lowering springs - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Coilovers or lowering springs within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; You might mean springs now and strut cartridges later. If so, and provided your existing struts are OK plus your ...

I Support ClubWRX

Coilovers or lowering springs

You might mean springs now and strut cartridges later. If so, and provided your existing struts are OK plus your new springs are reasonable, yes it can work OK. Ask the spring maker.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubiEj255 View Post
    Ok I'm not familiar with suspension at all. This is all new to me. I guess my main question is if I were to only get shocks now and struts and such later would the money before wasted on getting the shocks solely now and not bundling up and getting them both at once.
    Your car doesn't have shocks and I have no idea what you are asking. List what mileage is on the car. Do you need to pay for installation of the suspension parts? You generally seem to lack details.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd only run the stock struts for about 60k miles, after that they're pretty worn out.

For what it's worth, I did just springs (Eibach Pro-Kit) on my first WRX at around 30k miles and by 45k miles one of my front struts was completely blown out and I had to do the install all over again. Those springs are really mild without much drop and they still made quick work of my stock struts. If I had it to do over again I would just save the money for springs AND good struts and do them at once.

Ok ok. Let me clear this up. I meant springs. I will not be installing them as I never did them before. I was asking will it be more money to install the springs and struts at one time than if I install the springs, then later down the line install struts.

The car has < 2000 miles on it. It's a baby still.
    A car is only as good as its driver

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok ok. Let me clear this up. I meant springs. I will not be installing them as I never did them before. I was asking will it be more money to install the springs and struts at one time than if I install the springs, then later down the line install struts.

If you do them both at the same time you would only be paying to do it once.. if you do the springs now, then the struts later you would be paying to do it twice, so I would expect double the labor charges. Plus you would have to pay for two alignments instead of just one.

When I changed the springs on mine in 2003 I had never done them before either, and I found it pretty easy.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

It is good practice to match spring rate with proper damping (struts). Therefore, I would not recommend keeping the stock struts with any spring upgrade except the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey
    Unless your stock struts have high mileage on them there is no real reason to upgrade them along with the springs if you are just doing a mild drop. Most of those springs are designed to be used with the stock struts. You might have to just trim the bump stops or get different ones. I would use the money left over for larger rear sway,rear camber bolts and a custom alignment. -1.5 camber all around will transform the car.
    As Ron says if you just go with a mild drop/mild spring rate increase. However, this is mostly for looks alone. If you want handling improvements, seek proper ultra-performance tires, stiffer spring rate matched with proper damping, a good set of sway bars, and most importantly A GOOD ALIGNMENT. The sway bars will greatly improve the body roll characteristics and are integral in lessening understeer. If you need more info, I would contact Turn-in Concepts (TiC) as Matty has mentioned. I think this topic has now been beat to death.
    \_(ツ)_/
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I think this topic has now been beat to death.

There comes a point where it is difficult to tell if if people really don't get it, or if you're just being trolled..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    As Ron says if you just go with a mild drop/mild spring rate increase. However, this is mostly for looks alone.
    The problem is there really isn't a market offering for that with the '08+ cars like there is for '02-'07.

Quote Originally Posted by SubiEj255

The strut assembly is completely apart, so there's basically no additional labor involved with doing both. If you want better handling, the springs you install will wear out your struts fairly quickly, and you'll be paying for another full install / alignment again. Personally, like Robin mentioned, I feel you're best off waiting until you can do both.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    +1. I installed just the epic springs at first. although I didn't blow my struts, it felt like crap until I added the koni struts.
    Last edited by lokey; 01-08-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

based on your question. springs are a no brainer, coilovers are a waste of money for a street car.
    although if you want stiffer, some stiffer shocks are probably more what your after. id say get some struts, sways and endlinks and see what you think.
    just some basic advice on coilovers

if you pay less than about 2k for them(at the absolute minimum). there probably not worth having
    if you dont track the car, there probably not worth having
    if its your DD, there def not worth having

if your still thinking you want coilovers. here is an example of a decent set. just so you know how much to save
    http://www.speedelement.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=38

Yea I read that somewhere. Thanks for the info!
    A car is only as good as its driver

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123