sorry but another suspension question

This is a discussion on sorry but another suspension question within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i have been on many forums and i know the first answer is usually "use the search bar". i ...

So i have been on many forums and i know the first answer is usually "use the search bar". i have searched and didnt find really what i was looking for. Now i just bought a 2004 wrx wagon. the first thing im doing is suspension. now it should be fairly easy because I want coilovers. i have modded many vehicles and have always found coilovers to be best. I have never like getting just lowering springs (they just never seem to sit right). unless someone can post a picture of their wagon with a decent drop that sits right with some lowering springs as of now im interested in coilovers. now the next question you will ask is budget. as i look at it, you get what you pay for so budget is not a factor here. Im new to the subaru world and do not know much about them so have no idea whats a good coilover/spring height/rate if i also need camber kits etc. so if i was to go coilovers what brands are good with these cars. it will be daily driven by the way. and im not afraid of stiff rides. everything i have owned is stiff as crap. So id like to be low, stiff, still somewhat smooth. also i have everyday access to an alignment machine so that can be done anytime as much as i want. so. coilovers?

thanks for any and all help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bcis good ive hears. on sale for 999 usually 1299 or so. those are the ones im going for when i have the money

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't run cheap coilovers (<$1600) on my worst enemy's car. Personally, I'm saving up for TiC SST coilovers for my own car. At one time I had Tein Flex coilovers but I was not happy with them, so I swapped them out for my original spring/strut combo (Eibach Pro-kit on KYB AGX gas adjustable struts).

I feel that if your budget is less than about $2000, and you don't absolutely need adjustable ride height, then a good spring/strut combo will be better for 90% of people.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by ScuubydooWag View Post
    as i look at it, you get what you pay for so budget is not a factor here.
    Excellent. Contact Ohlins, KW, and Bilstein directly and discuss your needs. Ask for specific valving based on your uses.

For the money you are paying insist on components that are road legal in DE.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i have heard people like kw and i have personal experience with bilstein on my mustang. i love bilstein. also not sure but the tic coilovers sound like they are not meant to go low. i like to go low. maybe around 3" or so. yes thats bad in most cases but can be done without the use of bags.

Subaru suspension is not designed to go low. Anything over an inch to inch and a half drop and the geometry is all thrown off, which ruins the handling characteristics of the car. If you're just concerned with looks and don't care about performance, then to each their own I guess.. but ruining the cornering performance of you car to attain a certain look is frowned upon by many, myself included.

as i apreciate the input i do have to say i did state going that low isnt good and i fully understand. no car is meant to go that low let alone awd subarus. and im also aware it decreases the handling performance as we dont see people like ken block driving his sub slammed to the ground. i however do not go to the track. and frown apon it as you may. everyone has their own opinions and i respect it. so putting aside the drop amount and focusing on which brand is good i gather i should be looking at brands that run in the $2000 range for decent quality

Yea.. although there are some new ones hitting the market recently that have had good reports and are a little more inexpensive, like Feal. I forget who on here is running them, but there are a few members who seem to like them.

Also, there are measures you can take it retain good handling if you're interested. For one, I'm running MSI tubular rear trailing arms that have corrected geometry to work with 1" drop (I think they also make a 2" version).. although they're not cheap. If you really just don't care you could probably get away with some aftermarket camber bolts for the rear.

For what it's worth, my Tein Flex would go pretty low. My main complaint is that they were harsh as hell, and there was hardly any travel to the suspension, aside from giving me a serious pain in my lower back, the car would skip sideways when cornering on uneven surface.

This was about the highest I could get it on the Flex coilovers.. which still scraped on speedbumps and driveways, so depending on your roads, bags might be the best option.

ok. also was reading and some coilovers require a wheel spacer in the rear. i read this one bilsteins website directly. and yes personally i have never been a fan of tein. what are you running now if you dont mind me asking