snow tire size?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on snow tire size? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Everyone, Just picked up my new '13 wrx this past weekend. This is the first Subaru I have owned ...

snow tire size?

Hey Everyone,
    Just picked up my new '13 wrx this past weekend. This is the first Subaru I have owned and so far I am really enjoying it (other than the 1,000 mile break in period). Got our first snow in Michigan and did not realize how terrible the performance tires would be - is there a big difference between 16" and 17" tires for winter driving? I am looking at purchasing a winter wheel/tire set and wanted to see if you all had some input as this was listed as an option for tire sizes.
    Thanks and looking forward to being a part of this forum!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum.

Like you noticed,it would be a good idea to get winter tires ASAP. 16"s are significantly cheaper than 17"s. I run a 16" like most of us.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Yes, get 'em quick! I had a nasty experience driving in the freak October storm out east here with summer performance tyres! To be honest, I'm still a bit spooked snow driving in the car even though I have the new wheels - was a Jeep driver for 20 years. Welcome!

I Support ClubWRX
    As said, 16s are cheaper and can fit over your brakes. Personally, I'd go that route.

As for the tire size, I'm not exactly sure, but I want to say 215/55/16 is what you want to match OE size. Plug numbers into a tire calculator (link) to see which one's closest.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I have 16" steel wheels with general altimax arctics. They were both pretty cheap on tire rack and I'm very happy with them. I run 205/55/16 (225/45/17 OEM), but people with the 11+ seem to run 215/55/16 like what EJ257 said.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Running 215/55/16 on 05 WRX wheels.
    2013 WRX Hatch
    2002 4runner

Quote Originally Posted by Stuk View Post
    Running 215/55/16 on 05 WRX wheels.
    Same.
    2013 DGM Hatch WRX - STI STS currently only mod

thanks for the quick replies! I ordered up the 16" wheel & tire combo..getting installed tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by sourkraut007 View Post
    thanks for the quick replies! I ordered up the 16" wheel & tire combo..getting installed tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see the difference!
    What tire did you choose? I don't see the generals in a 215/55/16 size option anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_newbie View Post
    What tire did you choose? I don't see the generals in a 215/55/16 size option anywhere?
    I ended up going with the Firestone Winterforce - it is a 215/55/16. Seemed to be a good price and good tire.

Quote Originally Posted by sourkraut007 View Post
    I ended up going with the Firestone Winterforce - it is a 215/55/16. Seemed to be a good price and good tire.
    Ordered the same set-up two hours ago. Hopefully that tire does well in the snow for what it is.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Took car out in snow today after getting spooked in summer tyres during bad october storm - car is fabby in the snow with snow tyres!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	110688

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	110689

I just put these on yesterday just in time for the mini snow storm, they are pretty good IMO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

^^ looks good ^^
    2013 WRX Hatch
    2002 4runner

Blizzacks are beats. I had them.on my 2007 VW gti for winter and ha no problems at all. Short on money at the moment which is why I went with FIRESTONE and a set of steelies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.