summer tires in the snow
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on summer tires in the snow within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well it took the firs snow here in western pennsylvania for me to learn my lesson on the importance of ...

summer tires in the snow

well it took the firs snow here in western pennsylvania for me to learn my lesson on the importance of winter tires. This is my brand new 2013 wrx with stock tires (summer performance tires). I parked it in front of my garage when it started snowing. Maybe an inch or two had fallen. About an hour and a half later i opened my garage to take some garbage out and as you can see, my car is no longer in front of the garage, but slid down and off the driveway and into the grass that is known as my front yard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	110623

I know what youre thinking, and yes, the parking brake was on. if it wasnt it wouldve either rolled away before i got out of it or it wouldve kept going down the hill and into the river that is just out of sight. i learned my lesson and will be investing in winter tires immediately. take it from me; BUY WINTER TIRES FOR YOUR WRX! (if you havent already)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

woww winter tires next year

if you couldnt tell, i took the picture from in my garage. This is what I saw when I opened the garage door. The winter storm warning didnt help as you can see. Looks like we've gotten about a foot of snow in a matter of a couple hours. real deal.

winter tires next WEEK!

Re: summer tires in the snow

I couldn't agree more with this thread. I also got caught with my pants down Christmas eve. Was coming out of my parents subdivision with about 2 inches of powder on the road. Very slowly crawled up to an intersection an hit the brakes...nothing. Slid about 30 feet and the car finally stopped when the front tires hit the bare pavement of the main road I was going to turn on. I'd call it a near miss at best.

Got home and immediately mounted my winter setup. Nobody should be driving their wrx in the snow on those stock tires...nobody.

Ha wow that's incredible!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Could have ended worse! Nice non-destructive way of learning.

Spare wheels with winters are the way to go around here. Lets you keep some nice summer tires on for the nice months of the year as well =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I don't see how the snow would have got under the tires that were on dry pavement and caused that. PA did see some freezing rain today. I lived in Omaha and did fine with summers with 2-4 inches of snow. I also lived on a very steep hill and nothing like that ever happen but I had trouble going up it with a little snow.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Just ordered my Blizzaks. Was going to wait for my tax return but looks like this winter is going to be rough.

i just ordered altimax arctics actually.
    done and done.

I drove through 6+ inches of snow today with no problem on my all season tires.

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol. Never seen that happen before. Its a good thing you have a big front yard & that you don't live on top of a hill.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry. I'm dropping the BS bomb on this one. This simply could not have happened. Unless, of course, there were 100mph headwinds, then there might be a 1% chance that it would happen. Other than that, I ain't buyin' it.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

If the car was on ice it could have slid as stated. If the car was fitted with snow tires, it would have slid the same. The car was not being driven.

Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    Sorry. I'm dropping the BS bomb on this one. This simply could not have happened. Unless, of course, there were 100mph headwinds, then there might be a 1% chance that it would happen. Other than that, I ain't buyin' it.
    I have to agree with this, I bet the car wasn't in gear and the E brake wasn't pulled tight so it slowly drifted down the hill.
    Never heard of tires not giving good traction on a parked car.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast