summer tires in the snow - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on summer tires in the snow within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Scooby_newbie Okay everyone. I have been waiting for my winter set-up since the 31st. Everything came today ...

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_newbie View Post
    Okay everyone. I have been waiting for my winter set-up since the 31st. Everything came today and i was super excited. I put everything on myself and decided to drive to my gf's work (star bucks) where i could bum the internet. In completing this 13 mile trip with the winter set-up, i figured i could post my reactions to the drive-ability of the Firestone winterforce tires in a 16" format with steelies (dry pavement/highway driving) Like reading a lot of other posts about the drive-ability of others winter set-ups, i figured i would do the same. I also have picture comparisons of the winter tires vs my stock 2011 wrx dunlop summer tires (pretty scary that i actually drove on those things in the snow!!!) The tires feel spongy when driving and you can def feel the body roll of the car when turning side to side. Car feels a bit loose and the steering def feels delayed. This is the general opinion of most threads i have read on this particular tire, so yes, i agree. I dont hear any road noise difference (some say they are very loud, i dont hear that?) in comparison to the stock summer tires. These tires are for W I N T E R driving, NOT long distance road travel on completely dry pavement, one can not complain about this tire for its price and for what it is, on dry pavement. I have not gotten to try this set-up in snowy conditions, therefore i can not comment. HOWEVER, judging by the tread difference in the photos below, i am pretty SURE, i wont be complaining lol.

The delivery guy placed two on each side for me lol
    Attachment 110776

Just a LITTLE better than stock tread for winter driving.
    Attachment 110777

Stock summer tire (dunlop) VS Firestone Winterforce
    Attachment 110778

Attachment 110779Attachment 110780

Few photos of the winter set-up on the car!
    Attachment 110781Attachment 110782Attachment 110783

hey bro those look pretty good man. hows the drive?
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos1082 View Post
    hey bro those look pretty good man. hows the drive?
    The description of the driveability is explained above.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Unless this winter is like last year (which I doubt) you should get some snow to play in.....and that will confirm you made a wise purchase
    Not sure who this was directed to since there are East and West coast folks right above your post, but I have to assume the East. We got a good amount of snow in CO last winter. This year has been WEAK, which of course I should have figured since after a 10 year layoff from snowmobiling I bought a new sled this summer. Murphy's Law has been in full force and I haven't seen a storm with more than 6" yet at my house. In a normal winter I should have had at least 2-3 storms with 2-3 feet of snow by this time.

Stock summer tire (dunlop) VS Firestone Winterforce
    Attachment 110778
    That really gives you a great view of why winter tires are night and day different from summer tires. You've got several aspects of the winter tires that make the difference (this info is old hat to some people but maybe a few of you could use a tutorial):
    1. The tread block spacing is much wider so snow will fall off of the tire much easier.
    2. The depth between tread blocks is much deeper to accommodate snow so the tread blocks are still in contact with the road instead of snow that's stuck between the tread blocks.
    3. The spacing is concentrated across the tire perpendicularly rather than with the tire longitudinally. Longitudinal grooves are designed to evacuate water (a lot of people think tires mostly shed water out the sides, but they shed the vast majority of water out the front and back). Since narrow grooves hold snow much easier than wide grooves, having wide grooves across the tire that snow can fall out of easily means you have much better grip when accelerating, braking, and turning because the front and rear edges of the tread blocks are much more likely to be open and available to grip.
    4. The sipes (the little cuts in the tread blocks) vastly increase the number of gripping edges the tire has. Again, these are concentrated laterally across the tire to aid in particular in braking, but also in turning.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Not sure who this was directed to since there are East and West coast folks right above your post, but I have to assume the East. We got a good amount of snow in CO last winter. This year has been WEAK, which of course I should have figured since after a 10 year layoff from snowmobiling I bought a new sled this summer. Murphy's Law has been in full force and I haven't seen a storm with more than 6" yet at my house. In a normal winter I should have had at least 2-3 storms with 2-3 feet of snow by this time.
    Damn... Maybe we stole all your snow this year(Reno Tahoe, NV/CA). We have gotten about 6ft of snow from the last couple of storms that passed through. Last winter blew we got about a 1/3 of what we this year so far. Anyway I'm loving all the snow . Ski and Snowboarding FTW!
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

The description of the driveability is explained above.

Sorry dude, I forgot I read your description yesterday. I was distracted by the pictures of ur car lol!
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

^thats ok.
    I am located in south central pa. E better get more snow! I want my moneys worth out of this set-up that I really did not have 720$ to just blow on wheels and tires. Kind of pissed off at the weather. BUT I guess its better to have them than not for that ONE or TWO days of heavy snow....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Yeah, I was meaning us eastern folks. Here in Pittsburgh, we average about 43 inches a year. Last year was less than 10 inches....some parts of the city less than 5 inches. That is for the whole winter (Oct.-Mar.). Back in 2010 we got about 40 inches over 36 hours and the city almost shut down for about a week as the crap road crews out here could not clear the streets. We had 3 feet of snow in the middle of the street that I lived on for like 8 to 10 days.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

^thats ok.
    I am located in south central pa. E better get more snow! I want my moneys worth out of this set-up that I really did not have 720$ to just blow on wheels and tires. Kind of pissed off at the weather. BUT I guess its better to have them than not for that ONE or TWO days of heavy snow....
    Winter tires aren't just meant for snow, they're also meant for cold temps. The summer tires on the WRX will provide very poor grip and can wear poorly too in the winter months. Winter tires will give you far superior grip in any temps below 50.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Well, took the winter tires off and put the stock summer tires back on the car. Like, no more snow.

I Support ClubWRX

seriously though, this next few days is supposed to be rather warm around these parts....for winter atleast.

I do find it funny that the Rockies are currently being hit by a white storm named Gandolf
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

White storm would be nice around these parts!

i have yet to resolve my winter tire issue, and we got about 3-4 inches in CT today and the summers did get me up my unplowed driveway with no loss of traction. Given they only have 2500 miles on them, but i was surprised. Stopping was a whole different issue. Next stop is tirerack for some winter ties. Can't wait to see how it handles with the right equipment!

Hello everyone, AGAIN. Thought i would post this 1 minute video of me having some awd fun in the snow First time on this set-up. Video is below photo.

This picture was the deciding factor to do this Its a big glass of "iced tea"

http://youtu.be/gr1MjbMj-98
    ^using the 16" winter wheel set-up. Firestone winterforce and steelies
    Last edited by Scooby_newbie; 01-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    so...you are bragging about drinking before doing 'nuts in the snow? cool brah
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Re: summer tires in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    i have.......... Stopping was a whole different issue. Next stop is tirerack for some winter ties. Can't wait to see how it handles with the right equipment!
    +1 lol.....stopping was "interesting" ..... :banghead:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast