summer tires in the snow - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on summer tires in the snow within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by nsibanez What are we looking at? They look fine and at least 6/32 of tread The General ...

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    What are we looking at? They look fine and at least 6/32 of tread
    The General Altimax Arctics. Apparently less than 1K miles.
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If my tires looked that good after a season I would be ecstatic. I, however, am hard on my snow tires so I deal with my snows only getting one season.

Quote Originally Posted by Front Kick View Post
    The General Altimax Arctics. Apparently less than 1K miles.
    They look pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    OK guys.....Brandon, Dave....snow is here.....where are you?

ahh sorry Just saw this. I was out of town at a wedding all day yesterday. It would have been a great day for tire testing too. I'll keep hoping for more snow in the near future.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Quote Originally Posted by raceoholic330 View Post
    Nobody should be driving their wrx in the snow on those stock tires...nobody.

i couldn't agree more bro. i had a bad experience this past wednesday with those stock summer tires. i was on my way home from work and took the sidestreets instead of the highway and i was going downhill on 3 inches of snow and lost traction, nearly hit the cars that were stuck at the bottom of the hill. good thing my winter tires and wheels arrived on friday and i put them on yesterday before another snow storm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrxwintermode.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	110692
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

I Support ClubWRX

Re: summer tires in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    OK guys.....Brandon, Dave....snow is here.....where are you?

Chicago for New years eve
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Just for the sake of an update. I got the altimax arctics put on. Couldn't be more impressed with the difference. 600 bucks I didn't want to spend. But 600 bucks well spent. My car hasn't been found roaming around my front yard since.

It doesn't matter what kind of machine you're driving, there are only 4 parts of that machine tiuching the road. That'd be your tires.

Moral: Don't skimp on buying tires!

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    If my tires looked that good after a season I would be ecstatic. I, however, am hard on my snow tires so I deal with my snows only getting one season.
    What?!?!?! I thought I was hard on tires! Even with running snow tires for 7-8 months a year since I'm in the mountains of CO, I still get 2 seasons out of them. And I run the super high performance ones that have lower treadwear ratings than most. How many miles are you getting out of a set, and what brand/model are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLOdeAGUA View Post
    It doesn't matter what kind of machine you're driving, there are only 4 parts of that machine tiuching the road. That'd be your tires.

It amazes me how many people don't think about this and spend lots of money on so many other things and then skimp on tires...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I drove a little more than 15,000 miles on the last set of Blizzak WS70's. That set was low enough on tread by summer I decided that they would no longer perform how I desired in the snow and drove another 3,000 miles over the summer until I put the set that is currently on the car.

My parents' house is in Evergreen, I live in Boulder, and ski over 100 days a year, not all day trips but all over the state. Last season the tires saw a lot of dry highway miles and not that much snow, and during the big storm in February I was in Japan with the car parked.

I'm up near Evergreen (<10 minutes to the old main street). Where is your parent's house?

Are you getting even wear on the tires? Or could a bad alignment be partly/mostly to blame for the poor wear?

Regardless of whether you're driving on dry pavement a lot, you should still be getting a lot more than 15k miles out of them. The only exception would be if you're doing a lot of driving on them in warmer temps since they'll wear extremely quickly as you approach and exceed 50 degrees.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

About 3 minutes off Evergreen Parkway heading west on Stagecoach Blvd.

Wear is dead even on all 4 tires except for the very outer shoulder from hard cornering on dry, warm pavement.

The tires also see occasional rally cross use. Like I said I am hard on them haha. Also, they cold probably be used again but they would not perform how I desire. I do most of my driving during the winter and enjoy driving in "bad" road conditions much more than good conditions so It is important to me that my snow tires perform consistently.

Sitting at my house waiting for my winter set-up to get here. It better blizzard so that I get my 720$ worth! Ill.be taking the old wheels off for a good cleaning and waxing until summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLOdeAGUA View Post
    Just for the sake of an update. I got the altimax arctics put on. Couldn't be more impressed with the difference. 600 bucks I didn't want to spend. But 600 bucks well spent. My car hasn't been found roaming around my front yard since.

Glad to hear that you hooked your ride up with some winter treads!

I Support ClubWRX
    Unless this winter is like last year (which I doubt) you should get some snow to play in.....and that will confirm you made a wise purchase
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Okay everyone. I have been waiting for my winter set-up since the 31st. Everything came today and i was super excited. I put everything on myself and decided to drive to my gf's work (star bucks) where i could bum the internet. In completing this 13 mile trip with the winter set-up, i figured i could post my reactions to the drive-ability of the Firestone winterforce tires in a 16" format with steelies (dry pavement/highway driving) Like reading a lot of other posts about the drive-ability of others winter set-ups, i figured i would do the same. I also have picture comparisons of the winter tires vs my stock 2011 wrx dunlop summer tires (pretty scary that i actually drove on those things in the snow!!!) The tires feel spongy when driving and you can def feel the body roll of the car when turning side to side. Car feels a bit loose and the steering def feels delayed. This is the general opinion of most threads i have read on this particular tire, so yes, i agree. I dont hear any road noise difference (some say they are very loud, i dont hear that?) in comparison to the stock summer tires. These tires are for W I N T E R driving, NOT long distance road travel on completely dry pavement, one can not complain about this tire for its price and for what it is, on dry pavement. I have not gotten to try this set-up in snowy conditions, therefore i can not comment. HOWEVER, judging by the tread difference in the photos below, i am pretty SURE, i wont be complaining lol.

The delivery guy placed two on each side for me lol

Name:	022.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	110776

Just a LITTLE better than stock tread for winter driving.

Name:	023.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	110777

Stock summer tire (dunlop) VS Firestone Winterforce

Name:	024.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	110778

Name:	027.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	110779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	026.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	110780

Few photos of the winter set-up on the car!

Name:	032.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	110781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	033.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	110782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	034.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	110783
    Last edited by Scooby_newbie; 01-03-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast