summer tires in the snow - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on summer tires in the snow within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by nsibanez wow. thats awesome...go figure Ok just to throw in a word caution. Studded or studless tires, ...

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    wow. thats awesome...go figure
    Ok just to throw in a word caution. Studded or studless tires, if you race your car around on ice then you'll end up in the snow bank. No such tire exist will cure that level of dumbness lol.
    Last edited by KHP; 12-28-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Unless you are on ice studs do little to improve traction. In packed snow they will give a little more traction but I was just in an Xterra a few days ago that slid right through a snow packed turn and almost down an embankment. Granted he should have been going slower for conditions but my point is don't get cocky because you have studs. They actually help in a relatively narrow range of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Ok just to throw in caution. Studded or studless tires, if you race your car around on ice then you'll end up in the snow bank. No such tire will cure that level of dumbness lol.
    lol trust me i know this. doesnt matter how slow you're going unless you're crawling, you hit ice at the right angle while turning, that's it. i was doing maybe 15 if that, coming out of a turn the car just didnt respond

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    Unless you are on ice studs do little to improve traction. In packed snow they will give a little more traction but I was just in an Xterra a few days ago that slid right through a snow packed turn and almost down an embankment. Granted he should have been going slower for conditions but my point is don't get cocky because you have studs. They actually help in a relatively narrow range of conditions.
    They're almost a waste of moneu then it looks like. I just want winter tires for easier manueverability, not to race around in. Especially when there's other drivers around me, that's when i get nervous driving in snow. If I lose control alone, then whatever. I just dont want to rear end someone

For me I don't encounter actual ice covered roads very often at all. Maybe a few patches but if It seems like it could be icy I simply slow down and allow more space so studs are a waste for me. Colorado roads are bad enough without a ton of studs chewing them up.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    They're almost a waste of moneu then it looks like. I just want winter tires for easier manueverability, not to race around in. Especially when there's other drivers around me, that's when i get nervous driving in snow. If I lose control alone, then whatever. I just dont want to rear end someone
    If used in the conditions that call for studded tires. They are very good. Just be realistic and ask yourself how much of the time you drive on ice. Who knows maybe your conditions call for studded tires. I was just alarmed that you're going from summer tires to studded winter tires lol. They are on two extreme ends of tire spectrum lol.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

lol we dont really get too much ice most of the time unless its a straight up ice storm. we had a few inches of snow, the plows cleared it up pretty nice, but it rained in the morningso it all turned to slush. Then it starts freezing...kinda like if you were driving on a slushie. That's about the worst it gets here. In just the snow my car still isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. But I'd like to be on the safe side regardless

I Support ClubWRX
    Driving in a slurpee....normal snow tires will handle that with no problem.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    OK guys.....Brandon, Dave....snow is here.....where are you?

Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Well, I HAD ordered all parts for stg 2 yesterday VS snow set-up BUT there is more snow now. I have cancelled the parts list and must now order snow set-up bored with stg1plus.... DEpressing. Not ad depressing as slamming into a guard rail totaling my car do to my ignorance of not ordering winter set-up when needed I guess.

summer tires in the snow

I learned my lesson last year. I didnt think I would need winter tires and that the AWD would be fine. I was driving to my mechanic's in about 2 inches of snow. I was going down a hill and the wheels completely lost traction. Luckily I was able to work the gas/clutch/e-brake and steer into a nearby side street. I bought a pair of '03 wrx wheels with Dunlop Winter Sports the next day...

Fast forward to this year: I drove up to Big Boulder during the most recent storm to go boarding. Didnt lose traction once. The car felt solid and pulled up snow covered hills while other cars were getting stuck.

Winning! Just sucks spending 700$ on tire set-up vs zoom zoom goodies

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I haven't been this excited for snow since I was like 10 years old haha. It's only supposed to be 2-4 inches, last I looked at the forecast, but when I saw that I was like:

I know what you mean. I was kinda excited to see snow in the forecast.

Judge this visually? Used for 1 winter they say.

To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Front Kick View Post
    Judge this visually? Used for 1 winter they say.

What are we looking at? They look fine and at least 6/32 of tread

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast