summer tires in the snow - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on summer tires in the snow within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Scooby_newbie 2011 wrx. I ran the stock summer tires yesterday (location south central PA) Got the wrx ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_newbie
    2011 wrx. I ran the stock summer tires yesterday (location south central PA) Got the wrx STUCK in the middle of a damn road. Car was spinning and sliding, literally, directly sideways to the left. Summer tires in the winter= WORTHLESS!!!! My gf said she would help me pay for winter tires for my b-day. I am online researching at the moment. I would like to go with studded tires so that i can have some fun up in the PA/MD mountains! Prob going to get a set of black steelies with the tire i choose. Any thoughts on winter tires? I am in need ASAP!
    If you want studded tires, go with either the General Altimax Arctics or Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7s. I run the Nokians on my car.

Just make note of local laws in regards to them; they often are only allowed within a certain timeframe.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_newbie View Post
    2011 wrx. I ran the stock summer tires yesterday (location south central PA) Got the wrx STUCK in the middle of a damn road. Car was spinning and sliding, literally, directly sideways to the left. Summer tires in the winter= WORTHLESS!!!! My gf said she would help me pay for winter tires for my b-day. I am online researching at the moment. I would like to go with studded tires so that i can have some fun up in the PA/MD mountains! Prob going to get a set of black steelies with the tire i choose. Any thoughts on winter tires? I am in need ASAP!
    I vote against studded tires. They create a very loud hum in the cabin and have been told from my good friends at a tire store that they absolutely are AWFUL for our public roads. They tear them up costing us tax payers more money . Non studded tires work just fine IMO. Loving mine (General Altimax Arctics with steelies)
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    Yeah, for as many comparisons of car stuff as I have read/watched over the years, it'd be cool to actually make one.

Either of you have any good locations you can think of to stage something like this?

i have General Altimax Arctic
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Researching these Altimax Arctics now. I have All-Season Yokohamas and just found out they're basically **** in medium to heavy snow. Even in some slush, I was sliding. Well, it's an investment for a few years for sure.
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01
    I vote against studded tires. They create a very loud hum in the cabin and have been told from my good friends at a tire store that they absolutely are AWFUL for our public roads. They tear them up costing us tax payers more money . Non studded tires work just fine IMO. Loving mine (General Altimax Arctics with steelies)
    The noise from studded tires will be unnoticeable with an aftermarket exhaust and the radio on. I barely hear mine unless my windows are open.

Whether or not you want studded tires should depend on your driving conditions. For me, my driveway somewhat necessitates it; public roads be damned.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Got my blizzaks. Only took a day. Not a moment too soon either. Today is a beautiful day to put them on and were supposed to get hit tomorrow.

I was out in my all seasons Wednesday and they pretty much suck. Fortunately it wasn't that bad out and I only had to go to the store which was about a mile away.
    Any recommendations on where to get cheap wheels for a 09 Sti?

I Support ClubWRX
    check craigslist and forums first
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by OakFF252 View Post
    Got my blizzaks. Only took a day. Not a moment too soon either. Today is a beautiful day to put them on and were supposed to get hit tomorrow.
    I haven't been this excited for snow since I was like 10 years old haha. It's only supposed to be 2-4 inches, last I looked at the forecast, but when I saw that I was like:

- Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    HAHAHAHA
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Picked up a set of Michilen Pilot Alpin PA4's. These things are absolutely amazing.

Changing over from my OEM Dunlops (which I'd love to sell-no takers) was almost seamless. They handle snow and ice with ease and the handling on these things are unreal!
    Last edited by ea126405; 12-28-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

I Support ClubWRX
    they are calling for more snow ( ) but they keep revising it to be less and less.....I hope they are wrong and we get like 8"
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

i want some studded just for the ice. hopefully help stop so i dont run into another snow bank. it just doesnt seem like not studded would be able to help because theres nothing digging into the ice

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    i want some studded just for the ice. hopefully help stop so i dont run into another snow bank. it just doesnt seem like not studded would be able to help because theres nothing digging into the ice
    You'd be surprised. Tire Rack did a lab test where they were surprised that certain stud-less winter tires out performed some of their studded counterparts on ice.

I've dealt with a good amount of ice with my winter tires(frozen mountain roads). I never had any issues. Studdless winter tires are leagues away from your summers on ice performance. The only way I'd consider a high-end studded winter tires if my driveway was very steep and frozen ice over 50% of the time.
    Last edited by KHP; 12-28-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

wow. thats awesome...go figure

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.