summer tires in the snow - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on summer tires in the snow within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; These are the tires I have....this first vid is on ice in a Forester....

I Support ClubWRX
    These are the tires I have....this first vid is on ice in a Forester.

Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This second vid explains and demonstrate why we need winter tires....just good information I figured would benefit the group

Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    I've got a general altimax setup on my car if you guys would be interested in a 3 tire comparison. Even if you're already familiar with it, it'd be cool to at least meet up with some other people on here and put that Subaru AWD to the test.
    That would actually be awesome....the three of us meet up and video compare the three popular names for the boards
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

KHP
    Found another video that shows how the dense sipping of winter tires works while the vehicle is in motion.

2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Is there any means of locking the center diff in the wrx? I believe it is a 50/50 open diff, correct?
    Unless it's a GD. They have viscous couplers in the center which is an LSD. It will lock up if you heat it up enough haha.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've got a general altimax setup on my car if you guys would be interested in a 3 tire comparison. Even if you're already familiar with it, it'd be cool to at least meet up with some other people on here and put that Subaru AWD to the test.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    That would actually be awesome....the three of us meet up and video compare the three popular names for the boards
    Sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    Unless it's a GD. They have viscous couplers in the center which is an LSD. It will lock up if you heat it up enough haha.
    Ha, well played. I didn't even know they changed the differentials in the WRXs going from GD to GR. I never looked into that stuff in much detail personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Yeah, for as many comparisons of car stuff as I have read/watched over the years, it'd be cool to actually make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Sounds good to me
    Either of you have any good locations you can think of to stage something like this?
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Either of you have any good locations you can think of to stage something like this?
    Not really. All of the places around me those fancy "suburban parking lot dividers"... eliminating the traditional romp & roll fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2011 wrx. I ran the stock summer tires yesterday (location south central PA) Got the wrx STUCK in the middle of a damn road. Car was spinning and sliding, literally, directly sideways to the left. Summer tires in the winter= WORTHLESS!!!! My gf said she would help me pay for winter tires for my b-day. I am online researching at the moment. I would like to go with studded tires so that i can have some fun up in the PA/MD mountains! Prob going to get a set of black steelies with the tire i choose. Any thoughts on winter tires? I am in need ASAP!

lol funny. We just had a storm last night and ended up turning into rain this morning so there was a ton of slush on my way to work. Told my fiancee we need snow tires last ngiht. On my way to work I slid off the road into a snow bank. Got stuck, couldn't rock it back and forth cause my front right wheel was on ice so it was the only one spinning.
    GET SNOW TIRES!!! with studs

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    When I got caught with the summers in the Oct blizzard out east, I slid down a hill as I was sitting in traffic and only simultaneously puling the hand brake and turning the wheel saved me. I had to feather the brake to get enough traction to get going again.

I believe that could happen.

was that this yearsw storm or last years? ^
    scary to think that without moving, one second you are sitting still, the next you're halfway down a hill

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    This year's storm! I was better off than the poor mustang with his summers and RWD and I got home ok - as long as I didn't have to sit on a hill I was "ok" and for some reason, there were't too many people on the palisades parkway, but this was before I got to the parkway in local traffic. And boy, no one seems to know how to drive or get in a lower gear (you can do it in an automatic - cripes even my Mum knew that, but she had Daddy who taught her). This particular hill was very steep and this eejit going down the hill rolled down her window to ask me, golly, gee willickers, why was everyone going so slow? If I tell you what I called her, I'd be banned off this site.... grrr....
    Last edited by Sheleileigh Law; 12-27-2012 at 04:19 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_newbie View Post
    2011 wrx. I ran the stock summer tires yesterday (location south central PA) Got the wrx STUCK in the middle of a damn road. Car was spinning and sliding, literally, directly sideways to the left. Summer tires in the winter= WORTHLESS!!!! My gf said she would help me pay for winter tires for my b-day. I am online researching at the moment. I would like to go with studded tires so that i can have some fun up in the PA/MD mountains! Prob going to get a set of black steelies with the tire i choose. Any thoughts on winter tires? I am in need ASAP!
    Yes....General Altimax Arctic....they are about as cheap as you can get, are really good tires, and they are studdable (you can have studs put in them). If you are looking to possible spend a bit more, nothing on the planet beats the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 (studded) or Nokian Hakkapeliitta R (studdless).

Note that as it is already almost January, it is going to be difficult to find snow tires....many dealers are going to be sold out. There is this one dealer I know has some in stock, though I do not know their reputation... Our selection of 215/55 R16 Winter / snow tires - tires-easy.com
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_newbie View Post
    I would like to go with studded tires so that i can have some fun up in the PA/MD mountains! Prob going to get a set of black steelies with the tire i choose. Any thoughts on winter tires? I am in need ASAP!
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    GET SNOW TIRES!!! with studs
    You guys may want to reconsider getting studless winter tires instead. 90% of the time people do not need studded tires. Studded tires have their down sides. They are very loud, and you can only use them on certain months of the year by law because they tend to tear up the roads. If you spend most of your time driving on icy roads (black ice) then go on ahead with the studs. Studless winter tires have improved so much in the last couple of years that their performance gap to their studded counter parts is very narrow.

My drive home last night consisted of 100% iced up roads (not packed snow, not powder snow, not slush, but black ice). Not one time my studless winter tires felt unstable and lacking traction. Just a few days ago my car went through about two feet's deep worth of slushy snow without even breaking a sweat (and I'm not exaggerating about the depth).
    Last edited by KHP; 12-27-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast