summer tires in the snow - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on summer tires in the snow within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; um, guys....all you ney-sayers.....please re-read the original posting a bit closer. Points of note: *Stock summers (which are horrid in ...

I Support ClubWRX
    um, guys....all you ney-sayers.....please re-read the original posting a bit closer. Points of note:

*Stock summers (which are horrid in snow, about 3% traction)
    *Parked outside AFTER snow started falling 'Maybe an inch or two had fallen' (not dry pavment, on snow)
    *Small hill

When I bought my WRX (Feb '11) we had 1 snow right after I bought it. I parked at my apartment in a sloped driveway, in gear, with the break on after a few inches fell one night....when I got out and closed the door it started sliding back down the hill very slowly. I jumped back in and parked elsewhere on flat ground.

completely possible, and I have seen similar happen.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: summer tires in the snow

I watched my old caddy slide away down an ice covered hill one time after parking it. It happens. Was pretty nasty out, but that was with all seasons on as well. I could easily see it happening with summers.

Whoever posted above... Why would snow tires have slid as well? I'd imagine they would have significantly better static traction than summers. Confused why you assume they are the same when not driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    I think they were assuming the car was parked on ice, not snow. Most snow tires (read Blizzack) can't do **** on ice, some can (Gen. Altimax Arctic, Nokian Hekka....especially when studded)
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

KHP
    I've seen this at least once or twice before. It does happen.

Winter tires do have a higher static friction coefficient on ice compared to A/S tires and obviously summer tires. Due to the softer rubber compound and abundance of sipes winter tires tend to anchor better on ice. The thinly siped blocks tend to really dig/claw itself into the ice. In case of parking the sipes melt into the ice and refreeze like an anchor. Same concept as if you left a penny on an ice block you come a few hours later to see the penny deep in the ice block. It will take either a steeper incline and/or a longer duration of time for the same scenario to happen on a vehicle equipped with winter tires.

Sipping pattern, density, and rubber compound has a lot to do with ice traction.

Example of aggressive sipping and blocks on a winter tire (sipping density 1/1) vs. A/S sipping (sipping density ~1/10) vs. Summer (sipping density ~1/100 almost non-exsistent)

An overview of some design and technology ideas that go into a popular winter tire.

Winter tires are there for extra insurance in places that see moderate to heavy snow fall, and medium to high risk of roads icing up.
    Last edited by KHP; 12-27-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

My buddy just had this happen to him in his mazda 3 on christmas eve. Drove up his sloped driveway after an inch or two had fallen, parked to grab a shovel and turned around and the car was sliding (not rolling) down the driveway. Handbrake on and in gear.
    2013 DGM Hatch WRX - STI STS currently only mod

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    I think they were assuming the car was parked on ice, not snow. Most snow tires (read Blizzack) can't do **** on ice, some can (Gen. Altimax Arctic, Nokian Hekka....especially when studded)
    A lot of people on here really dislike blizzaks for some reason. While I know just about any tire won't do well on ice, I've never heard of them having issues on ice compared to other snow tires. My blizzaks actually did better on the long icy stretches yesterday over the deep snow covered roads.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    I've seen this at least once or twice before. It does happen.
    Good post
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Brandon....maybe this winter we will have a chance to meet up on a craptastic weather day so you can drive mine and try out some real snow tires
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX

Re: summer tires in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Good post
    +1. Very good post.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

when It snowed in October I had my summers on and i damn near died. I couldnt get out of the parking lot and was sliding everywhere. I had my winters on for the snow last night and I went for a drive to test it out and it was amazing. I dont know why anyone would wait besides not being able to afford the winters. Dont let laziness cost you your own life, your cars life, or anybody elses. Esspecially when you could be the only person on the road still getting to the store in your sexy wrx in the blizzard

I Support ClubWRX
    Brandon....maybe this winter we will have a chance to meet up on a craptastic weather day so you can drive mine and try out some real snow tires
    Ha, fair enough. I haven't tried any other snows on an impreza so it would be interesting. Yesterday the roads I was having issues with I believe were just due to snow mass... or having to dodge sideways minivans.

Is there any means of locking the center diff in the wrx? I believe it is a 50/50 open diff, correct?
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by rockstar4l View Post
    I dont know why anyone would wait besides not being able to afford the winters. Dont let laziness cost you your own life, your cars life, or anybody elses
    Well, there are those who do their homework and budget to immediately get a second set of tires when they are purchasing the car (cough cough Calvinball cough) and there are those that don't.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Ha, fair enough. I haven't tried any other snows on an impreza so it would be interesting. Yesterday the roads I was having issues with I believe were just due to snow mass... or having to dodge sideways minivans.

Is there any means of locking the center diff in the wrx? I believe it is a 50/50 open diff, correct?
    Yeah...open diff, no way to lock. Yesterday I went out driving just for fun during the worst of it and had no issues at all....even climbing or going down hills was no issue. If you goose it, you go sideways, let off and it snaps right back in line.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah...open diff, no way to lock. Yesterday I went out driving just for fun during the worst of it and had no issues at all....even climbing or going down hills was no issue. If you goose it, you go sideways, let off and it snaps right back in line.
    The locking diff isn't too big of a deal anyhow - not climbing boulders here. I leave mine in Auto+ in the snow... Puts it a bit closer to locked by default which does help compared to normal. I locked it when I was stuck on the shoulder of a road for a while to keep the car from pulling side to side as much. Fun to play with at least... Makes the car feel like a tank. Strange feeling.

Curious on the tire comparison though. Hopefully the opportunity comes up. I feel the blizzaks do very well in wet/slushy/light snow & ice conditions. The issues with the unplowed road could have been due to other issues such as ride height or weight. Maybe the blizzaks just hate deep snow - who knows.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Well, there are those who do their homework and budget to immediately get a second set of tires when they are purchasing the car (cough cough Calvinball cough) and there are those that don't.

Agreed. When I bought the car I factored in money for winter tires/wheels.
    2013 DGM Hatch WRX - STI STS currently only mod

Curious on the tire comparison though. Hopefully the opportunity comes up. I feel the blizzaks do very well in wet/slushy/light snow & ice conditions. The issues with the unplowed road could have been due to other issues such as ride height or weight. Maybe the blizzaks just hate deep snow - who knows.
    I've got a general altimax setup on my car if you guys would be interested in a 3 tire comparison. Even if you're already familiar with it, it'd be cool to at least meet up with some other people on here and put that Subaru AWD to the test.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast