Wheel spacer question

This is a discussion on Wheel spacer question within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Got some new enkei rs7's 18's and want to put them on my 04 sti. Will the wheels clear the ...

Wheel spacer question

Got some new enkei rs7's 18's and want to put them on my 04 sti. Will the wheels clear the brembos with a 7mm wheel spacer?
    Thx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What's the offset? Have you tried using them without spacers? Spacers are usually a bad idea..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Spacers are usually a bad idea..
    This...especially when you're getting past 5mm or so.

Like Mainframe said...Offset is?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    This...especially when you're getting past 5mm or so.

Like Mainframe said...Offset is?
    I believe it's +45. Thanks guys'

Quote Originally Posted by Alex2431 View Post
    I believe it's +45. Thanks guys'
    You shouldn't need a spacer if it actually clears...I've seen some pics via Google of them on an STI, so I'm guessing it will be ok. Only a test fit will prove that though.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You shouldn't need a spacer if it actually clears...I've seen some pics via Google of them on an STI, so I'm guessing it will be ok. Only a test fit will prove that though.

+1 -- I've seen people run wheels that you can't even fit a credit card between the calipers and wheels. I would assume those will fit, but if you really want to make sure you could try giving Enkei or TireRack a call and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    +1 -- I've seen people run wheels that you can't even fit a credit card between the calipers and wheels. I would assume those will fit, but if you really want to make sure you could try giving Enkei or TireRack a call and see what they say.
    Thanks again guys!

Late, but for what it is worth, I have been running 25mm Ichiba spacers (rear) without issue on Eagle hubs and NMB bearings, and have no problems. I have 18x8 Motegi forged wheels, 40/235mm rear tires, and ChargeSpeed V2 widebody fenders with no clearance problems. Each of these pieces is considered to be a cause of problems on particular years/versions. I don't know if it luck that I had, or if this specific combination of products would help you. This setup was built with only clearance of Wilwood 6-pot calipers in mind. The tire clearance and spacing just happened by accident, so to speak.

They said this tire would rub, it did not, there is 1" in every direction inside the well.
    They said coilovers would lower the car too much and that camber would be a problem, I am .75" below stock and have a 0/1 camber.
    They said these wheels would not center over the hub. and that the tires would cone. I get 15K from Z rated rubber.

I have to say, there is nothing wrong with spacers if you do the hubs and use forged hardware outside the spacer. I was after spreading and stretching the rear to the max, and got 4" overall wider at the tires' outside edge, and 1" of wheelbase. It is a difference that goes un-noticed under 150mph. It is a hair smoother over bumps, nothing more. Turning at any speed is not comparible to a stock WRX. It is far more like a Porsche Cayman, Nissan Z or other "barely any power steering" sports car. Also underdriven PS pump 15%.

If you have the opportunity to get either a very shallow offset and use a track worth spacer, or get a rimset that fits what you are after, these guys are on the ball, stack style spacers compromise stud strength a lot. They are really for show cars. Forged bolt on spacers are safe at any speed, but it's a good idea to make sure they are hubcentric and sized properly. the weight bearing capacity of our hubs is already nothing stellar, canting the weight to one side of their races is not likely to help their lifespan.

Another option if you are going all the way with your build is to replace the hubs... Eagle has some, I don't know what benefits might exist in the Legacy kingdom as far as swapping hubs and knuckles around, but that might be worth considering if there is a Gruppe B/N or STi/SPT alternative.