HELP! I need your advice ASAP.

This is a discussion on HELP! I need your advice ASAP. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so long story short, I picked up a nail today. Of course Subaru told me that it is not ...

Ok, so long story short, I picked up a nail today. Of course Subaru told me that it is not repairable and that I will need to buy 4 new tires since my tires have 18,500 miles on them. Tell me what you guys think. I think I can have it patched and save the tire. Thanks!

Attachment 110427

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Eh it's pretty close to the side wall, so that would be under a lot of stress especially when cornering and taking turns which could lead to a blowout.

Honestly it looks like you could use some new tires anyway.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd buy four new.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: HELP! I need your advice ASAP.

And I agree with the above. Get 4 new tires.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Eh it's pretty close to the side wall, so that would be under a lot of stress especially when cornering and taking turns which could lead to a blowout.

Honestly it looks like you could use some new tires anyway.
    + Eleventeen
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    + Eleventeen
    My favorite number.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    One of my RE-01s got screwed in the exact same spot a couple of years ago. I patched it, but then about a week and a half later the sidewall buckled and started bulging in places.. $1150 worth of tires down the drain. That's why I don't buy super expensive tires anymore. I still want ones that grip well, but tread life is of little concern to me knowing that at any time I could pick up a nail and have to buy four more.

Forgot to mention, I was doing 120mph WOT 4th gear logging pulls when the sidewall gave way.. it did not feel like a good thing.

Gosh, thought I might get one person saying I would be ok patching my tire but I guess I was wrong. I really wasn't wanting to spend money on tires right before Christmas but it looks like I have no other choice. Thanks for the advice guys.

You'll be fine patching the tire, just don't drive on it all after. Or just put tire sealant and keep the nail.

No sarcasm font, so just kidding.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    You'll be fine patching the tire, just don't drive on it all after. Or just put tire sealant and keep the nail.

No sarcasm font, so just kidding.
    The orange font is the accepted sarcasm font.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    The orange font is the accepted sarcasm font.
    Tapatalk. Meh.....
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Yeah, patches and plugs in the shoulder never last. It's a waste of time.... and potentially dangerous too. (Tire fitter in a previous life).

I've had a nail at the exact same spot. Patched it. Didn't drive hard after that. Got 4 new tires a month later because I needed new ones anyways. I was fine.

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    I've had a nail at the exact same spot. Patched it. Didn't drive hard after that. Got 4 new tires a month later because I needed new ones anyways. I was fine.

Posted from a fone.
    I was thinking as a temp solution as well if you absolutely had to wait a little to get tires, then it'd be ok...but as UEDan says...don't drive hard and look to replace soon after.

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't buy OEM tires.. At 250 a pop it's crazy stupid expensive. You can get 4 tires with a similar spec for at least 100 dollars less per tire.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..