Spare Tire vs. Fix A Flat
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

This is a discussion on Spare Tire vs. Fix A Flat within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm still new to the forum and I don't have my car yet.(Next week ) But I have been doing ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Hank_VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    67
    I Support ClubWRX

    Spare Tire vs. Fix A Flat

    I'm still new to the forum and I don't have my car yet.(Next week) But I have been doing my homework on all the maintenance issues, etc.

    Since the tire circumference is really, really important, is it a good idea to keep a can of fix-a-flat in the car, instead of relying only on the spare tire? I've heard that the stuff makes a mess out of the rims, but I'm thinking that a full size tire repaired with fix-a-flat is going to be better than a spare, right?

    I guess if you have side puncture, the spare is your only choice ... just curious to hear what others think.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Ruh Roh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pottstown PA
    Posts
    3,273
    depends on how long you plan on driving it for. if your going on a long trip maybe bring a can with you incase so you have two optio0ns. depending on tire pressure, fix a flat it then drive it to air pump. if it goes flat then use your spare until u can take it to a shop.

    for me i dont carry anything. just call a tow truck. weight reduction-becauseracecar

  4. #3
    Registered User anpato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    depends on how long you plan on driving it for. if your going on a long trip maybe bring a can with you incase so you have two optio0ns. depending on tire pressure, fix a flat it then drive it to air pump. if it goes flat then use your spare until u can take it to a shop.

    for me i dont carry anything. just call a tow truck. weight reduction-becauseracecar
    ^This hahaha, no spare or jack for me. Becauseracecar
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

  5. #4
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,880
    I Support ClubWRX
    I actually carry a portable tire pump with me that plugs into my cigarette lighter! Obviously wouldn't do me any good if i shredded a tire, but fix a flat probably wouldn't either.

  6. #5
    Registered User Hank_VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    67
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I actually carry a portable tire pump with me that plugs into my cigarette lighter! Obviously wouldn't do me any good if i shredded a tire, but fix a flat probably wouldn't either.
    That's a good idea too. I don't want to carry around a load of stuff, but on a long ass trip it might be good for peace of mind. Thanks everyone.

  7. #6
    Registered User Ingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,110
    I carry the spare and tools to change. No fix-a-flat, ever. There's not only the valve and rim getting jacked but also the TPMS sensor. Personally, I'd stay away from that messy sh1t. If anything, then a tire plug kit and a way of pumping air into the tire, even CO2 cartridge, like on my bike.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

  8. #7
    Registered User jimbo058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    114
    If you've ever been left sitting on the side of the highway for an hour waiting for the tow truck to come, while 1,000 cars/trucks go blowing by, you will learn to carry some important items like a spare (at least the compact one) and a can of FAF. It is VERY dangerous to be sitting on the side of a highway for any amount of time, as drivers get distracted and hit stopped vehicles.

    The wind blast of cars and trucks going by at 75+ when you are sitting on the side is enough to drive you crazy after just a short while. I know, I was in a pickup that was pulling a trailer for two hours, and I had to get out & walk thru a field for awhile to get away from it. This is the only time I would resort to using a can of FAF.

  9. #8
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,153
    Fix a flat isn't a permanent solution either, just like the spare tire. But the spare tire is engineered to be similar diameter to stock wheels to minimize damage to the differentials in the event you need to put it on to get to a place to replace tires within a short distance or so.

    From knowing many technicians and shop guys...the absolutely HATE anyone who has used fix-a-flat.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

  10. #9
    Registered User Hank_VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    67
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    From knowing many technicians and shop guys...the absolutely HATE anyone who has used fix-a-flat.
    I've DEFINITELY heard that! And yes, fix-a-flat is akin to a spare ... not a long term solution. Actually, my wife has been looking at a new Hyundai, and some models don't even have spares any more. They have fix-a-flat and an air pump, to save weight.

  11. #10
    Registered User Hank_VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    67
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    I carry the spare and tools to change. No fix-a-flat, ever. There's not only the valve and rim getting jacked but also the TPMS sensor. Personally, I'd stay away from that messy sh1t. If anything, then a tire plug kit and a way of pumping air into the tire, even CO2 cartridge, like on my bike.
    I hadn't thought about the TPMS sensor ... again, great info. Loving this forum.

  12. #11
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,825
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've never used Fix-A-Flat, but I carry a tire plug kit with me.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  13. #12
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,153
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I've never used Fix-A-Flat, but I carry a tire plug kit with me.
    This.

    I used to carry a plug kit on my motorcycle...not as a long term solution obviously.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

  14. #13
    Registered User UEDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    1,144
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo058 View Post
    If you've ever been left sitting on the side of the highway for an hour waiting for the tow truck to come, while 1,000 cars/trucks go blowing by, you will learn to carry some important items like a spare (at least the compact one) and a can of FAF. It is VERY dangerous to be sitting on the side of a highway for any amount of time, as drivers get distracted and hit stopped vehicles.

    The wind blast of cars and trucks going by at 75+ when you are sitting on the side is enough to drive you crazy after just a short while. I know, I was in a pickup that was pulling a trailer for two hours, and I had to get out & walk thru a field for awhile to get away from it. This is the only time I would resort to using a can of FAF.
    Been there, done that. 3 hours sitting in the back of my wagon with the seats folded down. On my birthday. NOT fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    From knowing many technicians and shop guys...the absolutely HATE anyone who has used fix-a-flat.
    This.

    NEVER use fix a flat if you value your tire's warranty. Places will void your warranty after using it, says in the fine print.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •