steelies and centering ringa not necessary?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on steelies and centering ringa not necessary?! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After much debate on whether I needed centering rings with my new winter set up, I called discount tires direct ...

steelies and centering ringa not necessary?!

After much debate on whether I needed centering rings with my new winter set up, I called discount tires direct where I got them from. They told me they do not need the rings and if there were to be any vibration at all, it would occur above 70mph.

I know many of you stated that I would be needing them... who to believe? Tires plus said I may need them but they are a universal rim I figured the lug nuts would hold it tight with no concerns..
    Last edited by rurso01; 12-14-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    From what I've read around if you tightened the lug nuts while the wheel is still raised off the ground then centering rings may not be necessary. The lugnuts will force the wheel to center on the hub without load. Make sure to tighten progressively (I believe OEM torque spec is 72.5ft/lbs) in a star pattern to aid in centering. Make sure to re-torque the lug nuts after about 100 miles of driving.

If the lug nuts are tightened with the wheel resting on the ground without a centering ring then the wheel may not be forced correctly into proper position. This will create vibrations and other negative side effects while driving.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Good info bro I'll do that thanks
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    From what I've read around if you tightened the lug nuts while the wheel is still raised off the ground then centering rings may not be necessary. The lugnuts will force the wheel to center on the hub without load. Make sure to tighten progressively (I believe OEM torque spec is 72.5ft/lbs) in a star pattern to aid in centering. Make sure to re-torque the lug nuts after about 100 miles of driving.

If the lug nuts are tightened with the wheel resting on the ground without a centering ring then the wheel may not be forced correctly into proper position. This will create vibrations and other negative side effects while driving.
    Normally only stock wheels will do this. It's a property of the wheel that forces it to center as the lugs tighten.

Most aftermarket wheels won't do this. It's mainly due to the fact that the lug nuts have some give in them radially.. so you can move the center of the wheel so that it is not quite centered over the axle.

I know it's not helpful, but I would still be concerned. If these were factory wheels for another car, you may be fine. If they weren't, I'd be hesitant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    rurso, can you take a pic of the wheel's center bore?

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    rurso, can you take a pic of the wheel's center bore?

Sure will. Posting in a few
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

The top 2 are from the front side and the bottom picture is from the inside of the rim. I assume that is probably the best picture. What do ya think rage? any help is greatly appreciated. Girlfriend is sick of seeing the tires stacked in the living room lol...
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    I would agree with the Discount Tire. You do not need centering rings.

What you do need to do is torque the acorn lug nuts with the wheel still in the air. Do it in stages till the wheel is properly positioned on the hub.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I am having Tires Plus do it since I deal with them a lot with my work at Enterprise. Do you think they would know the proper way to do it or should I give them input on the proper way? I don't want to offend but I want it done right.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    I am having Tires Plus do it since I deal with them a lot with my work at Enterprise. Do you think they would know the proper way to do it or should I give them input on the proper way? I don't want to offend but I want it done right.
    I'm sure they know how to torque a wheel since they do it for a living. Plus they probably do it on a lift. Just tell them to torque to spec & not go crazy with the wheel gun.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Sounds good! I appreciate your help man. I'm gonna get em put on tomorrow
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I would agree with the Discount Tire. You do not need centering rings.

What you do need to do is torque the acorn lug nuts with the wheel still in the air. Do it in stages till the wheel is properly positioned on the hub.
    How exactly did you determine this?

I bought my steelies used and am still trying to figure out if I'll need centering rings.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    How exactly did you determine this?

I bought my steelies used and am still trying to figure out if I'll need centering rings.
    If you look at the center bore of the alloys vs the steelies, you will see that on the steelies there is no space to insert the hubcentric rings.

OEM wheels are manufactured to accommodate the hub size of the car. The thing with aftermarket wheels is they have to be made to fit different hubs(it is cheaper that way to manufacture vs making a wheel for every specific car). So they are made with a gap that is filled by the hubcentric rings. All they do is ensure proper seating of the wheel in relation to the hub,so that the wheel does not go off center.

The steelies on the other hand are lug centric vs aftermarket wheels that are hubcentric. Why,you ask? I have no idea. I am sure there should be some travel on the wheel if you hit a good sized pothole. But then you would have other things to worry about.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast