steelies and centering ringa not necessary?! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on steelies and centering ringa not necessary?! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Agreed with the above after seeing the picture....

I Support ClubWRX

Re: steelies and centering ringa not necessary?!

Agreed with the above after seeing the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Awesome I'm going today. Winter mode: Activated.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx
    I'm sure they know how to torque a wheel since they do it for a living. Plus they probably do it on a lift. Just tell them to torque to spec & not go crazy with the wheel gun.
    I always request my wheels be hand tightened. I've had trouble in the past with them when a gun was used.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    If you look at the center bore of the alloys vs the steelies, you will see that on the steelies there is no space to insert the hubcentric rings.

OEM wheels are manufactured to accommodate the hub size of the car. The thing with aftermarket wheels is they have to be made to fit different hubs(it is cheaper that way to manufacture vs making a wheel for every specific car). So they are made with a gap that is filled by the hubcentric rings. All they do is ensure proper seating of the wheel in relation to the hub,so that the wheel does not go off center.

The steelies on the other hand are lug centric vs aftermarket wheels that are hubcentric. Why,you ask? I have no idea. I am sure there should be some travel on the wheel if you hit a good sized pothole. But then you would have other things to worry about.
    Ok, so steelies would have to have a particular style bore to accommodate the centering rings? I had assumed (with no basis in anything) that the rings went on the hub, then the wheel. But the wheel itself has to be designed so that centering rings can be inserted?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX

The rings fit tightly into the wheel. I had to lightly tap mine in with a hammer actually. Then the wheel gets put on the axle and tightened down.

The difference being that centering rings will use the tapered ring to force the wheel to center as it torques, whereas lug centric ones use a taper around each lug to move the wheel to center as it is torqued.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    The rings fit tightly into the wheel. I had to lightly tap mine in with a hammer actually. Then the wheel gets put on the axle and tightened down.

The difference being that centering rings will use the tapered ring to force the wheel to center as it torques, whereas lug centric ones use a taper around each lug to move the wheel to center as it is torqued.
    Alright, I think it's finally making sense. Thanks guys.

I do know that the bore on my steelies is pretty damn close to what I've read is the diameter of the hub just by measuring with a tape measure.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Alright, I think it's finally making sense. Thanks guys.

I do know that the bore on my steelies is pretty damn close to what I've read is the diameter of the hub just by measuring with a tape measure.
    The steelies may not even have a space to accept a centering ring. They are probably lug centric assuming the were factory wheels for another car. I'd look for a space for an insert if you are concerned.
    2011 STi Build Log

If a centering ring is supposed to fit within the bore of the steelie...I'm almost certain there is nowhere for it to go on the ones I have.

Tirerack told me that if they were the "preferred package," they wouldn't require centering rings. Problem is I bought them used and the previous owner neither remembers if they were that package, nor is willing to give me the order number so Tirerack can check.
    - Will

Lol so I got the tires put on without any issues. However, I had a screw in one of the stock tires close enough to the edge that it needs to be replaced. This is the 2nd screw in 1400 miles! These summer tires are sooo soft! Never had a screw before in my life and noe have had 2 in a short span.

What's the cost of the stock summer Dunlop's?
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Lol so I got the tires put on without any issues. However, I had a screw in one of the stock tires close enough to the edge that it needs to be replaced. This is the 2nd screw in 1400 miles! These summer tires are sooo soft! Never had a screw before in my life and noe have had 2 in a short span.

What's the cost of the stock summer Dunlop's?
    Are you replacing only one tire? I'm not sure of the cost of the stockers, but as far as the STi stockers, they are very expensive for the quality of the tire.

I haven't had any issues with any of mine yet (knock on wood).
    2011 STi Build Log

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.