Tire/rim questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tire/rim questions within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, to start off, I'm a wheel noob. I have a 2013 SWP WRX Sedan and am looking to upgrade ...

Tire/rim questions

So, to start off, I'm a wheel noob. I have a 2013 SWP WRX Sedan and am looking to upgrade my wheels. Also I live in Florida and never drive in snow. I'm currently looking at 18'' Motegi MR118's with a set of Kumho Ecsta LE Sport 235/40R18 Max Performance Summer tires. Is this a good setup? Do I need new TPMS sensors? And how much should I be able to get for my stock rims and tires?

Here's how they'll look (SWP FTW!)

Thanks
    Last edited by pauller; 12-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    pauller
    2013 Stage 2 SWP WRX Sedan
    DGR Coils-Invidia Q300 Ti Tip-Tomei 3in Catless Downpipe- Cobb AP w/ Stage 2+ 93 Map-Cobb SF Intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No experience with those tires.

There are a bunch of factors in deciding wheels/tires.

What's your goal? Function, form, or combination?

What's your budget?

Wheels...what do they weigh? What are the dimensions (18x#)?

Tires...size should be matched to the wheel width. Contact patch will increase traction both with cornering, and will help the car stop faster. You need to balance that with the increased corner weight. To me, contact patch > everything.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm doing it for looks but some extra traction would be nice even though there's not one corner in the state of Florida. I'm looking to spend, for everything, around $1100. Here are some specs: Size: 18x8,
    Offset: 45mm. Backspacing: 6.25", Bolt Pattern: 5-100, Rec. Tire Size: 235/40-18, Weight: 23.4lbs. Finish: Black Painted. Here's the link to them: MOTEGI RACING MR118 Black Painted And a link to the tires: KumhoEcsta LE Sport
    pauller
    2013 Stage 2 SWP WRX Sedan
    DGR Coils-Invidia Q300 Ti Tip-Tomei 3in Catless Downpipe- Cobb AP w/ Stage 2+ 93 Map-Cobb SF Intake

I Support ClubWRX
    8" wheel can support a 245 width tire

Consider Cooper RS3-S tires. Relatively inexpensive summer tire, with pretty good grip.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.