centering rings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on centering rings within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; what size centering rings did you need to put the steelies on the wrx? I was told i need the ...

centering rings

what size centering rings did you need to put the steelies on the wrx? I was told i need the centering rings or else it throws the alignment out. I went to 2 local shops and was told that they wont know the size of the centering rings until they go to put the rims/tires on the car. I am having a buddy do it for free at a local shop but they do not carry the rings.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not using correct centering rings on aftermarket wheels will normally cause vibrations similar to unbalanced wheel/tire. It could also cause lug nuts to come loose long term and a few other unwanted odds and ends.

I'm not sure how the steelies work - they may be fitted to the axle and use the lug nut holes, similar to the stock wheels. I know I needed them for my enkei's. Maybe somebody with some more experience will pitch in.

Where are you getting the steel wheels from? If its an online store, ask them about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Thought I'd add... although it's technically a different scenario.

Recently ordered a set of Enkei EDR9s through tirerack. These came with the necessary centering ring.

I would assume that if I had ordered steelies through them, they would also come with the proper equipment?

I ordered from discounttiredirect and they didn't come with them. Since they are a generic rim they need them. I'm surprised not one person knows what size this ring has to be. Surely someone has to know

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    I ordered from discounttiredirect and they didn't come with them. Since they are a generic rim they need them. I'm surprised not one person knows what size this ring has to be. Surely someone has to know
    It's not something you remember unless you order wheels. I bet it has to deal with the specific wheels ordered as well.

I'd still call discounttire and see what they suggest. I don't even know whether the STi uses the same size as the WRX.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    No one can tell you the size of the ring. Depends on the steelies. You can take the steelies to a tire shop & they can measure it for you & sell you the rings.

Or you can measure the hub size of your car ,& measure the center bore of your wheel & this will give you the size of the ring you need. & you can order them online.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Releated thread, FYI. There's some debate of the function of the rings after the wheels are mounted properly.

How do I know if I need hubcentric rings?
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Vehicle hub size is 2.211"/56.15mm. Wheel bore size is 2.874"/73.00mm, from my MB Wheels that I got at Discount Tire.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    what size centering rings did you need to put the steelies on the wrx? I was told i need the centering rings or else it throws the alignment out. I went to 2 local shops and was told that they wont know the size of the centering rings until they go to put the rims/tires on the car. I am having a buddy do it for free at a local shop but they do not carry the rings.

They are 73mm. I have a set of volk hubcentric aluminum rings that are brand spanking new. You could take the junk plastic ones off your current wheels, and throw these on there, and put the plastics on your steelies
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX

Re: centering rings

I thought he was coming from stock wheels? In which case they use the lugs to center the wheel under torque to my understanding.

Either way, I may have missed that above. Good to see some numbers start to come about in this thread for the OP
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ All subarus use a 73mm bore.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Surely wheels of different makes don't have the same center bore diameter.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 12-04-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I have purchased a pair of 16" steel rims. They are universal rims which is the reason that I was told I would need those centering rings.

I called Discount Tires Direct and they told me that I do not need centering rings as the rim should be a good fit without it. He said IF i feel any vibration, it would be exceeding 65-70 mph.

But when I went to several tire shops around town, they told me that I would probably need them so idk what to do...

Try and see what happens.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    Try and see what happens.
    Nothing bad can happen right? Just a bumpy ride? Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast