'11-'13 WRX Spring/Strut & Coilovers

This is a discussion on '11-'13 WRX Spring/Strut & Coilovers within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm debating back and forth whether or not I need coilovers or just a good spring/strut combo. I daily drive ...

'11-'13 WRX Spring/Strut & Coilovers

I'm debating back and forth whether or not I need coilovers or just a good spring/strut combo. I daily drive my WRX with my kids in the back so I need a relatively comfortable ride. I don't want to be really low but I do want to get 17x9 wheels with 255/40 tires. I also do 2-3 track days/year and looking to get into Auto-x. Feel free to post up your suspension thoughts, reviews, and pics!

Here are my options as of now:
    -H&R street coilovers ~ $1,200
    -Tein Super Street coilovers ~ $1,400
    -BC Coilovers with swift spring ~ $1,300

-Konis/H&R springs ~ $1,100
    -GTWORX/RCE Yellow springs ~ $1,300
    '11 WRX 5-door Premium - Satin White Pearl
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-progress.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm looking into the same thing no track days but I do Auto-x every month.

Cobb just came out with a new spring set up that I'm interested $255.00 for the set.
    http://http://www.cobbtuning.com/Sub...X-p/915760.htm
    I'm just going to run the springs on the stock struts with the stock BBS rims going to a 255 tire is going to push me out of the STU class that I like to run.

I have no experience with them but I have been told to stay away from cheap coilovers and just go with a good set of springs.

I think the most logical solution is the konis+rce yellows. I'm just a little iffy about putting them together.

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    When you look at all the prices, the GTWORX/RCE Yellow springs come out ontop IMO. The Shocks are valved for the Springs which imo is the most impotant part. Though you still need tophats and perches, you could reuse the ones from your OEM springs/shocks. Or buy them separate and then its just a simple swap.

This is the setup I am looking to get
    2013 WRB WRX Hatchback
    GTWORX Cup Kit w/RCE Yellows/RCE Swaybars/Kartboy Endlinks/Muffler Delete/Shorty Antenna/

Those are at the top of my list but they've been on back order for like... FOREVER! So it seems the next, more cost efficient solution are the konis. I'd need another set of struts to keep my stocks in tact for backup, but that could be had for cheap.

Gtworx/RCE $1400 vs. Koni/RCE $100

I do like the fact that the konis are adjustable too.

From a motorsports standpoint I think coillovers are necessary if you want the absolute best performance, meaning you want to be competitive. It goes without saying that you should avoid cheap/low quality coilovers if you do plan on driving the car hard and aren't looking to just lower for looks. So do you Autox/track for fun, or are you looking for some glory?

Personally, I'm just in it to get the speed demon out and have some fun, so I like the RCE/GTWORX setup. If I had an STI and was racing it, I would probably spring for a nice set of coilovers. The Koni setup also looks awesome and from the install threads I have seen it doesn't seem tooooo bad if you've got the right tools
    I don't think adjusting them is an easy thing to do, but if you're the kind that likes to fiddle with that then it may be a good option. You could make them soft for the family and then crank it up for track days.

Either way if you buy something of good quality, you can always resell it on the forums and get the other option. Good luck!

So top hats are needed regardless of what year WRX you have? Top hats on the newer WRXs are not strong enough (mainly the front)?

Quote Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
    When you look at all the prices, the GTWORX/RCE Yellow springs come out ontop IMO. The Shocks are valved for the Springs which imo is the most impotant part. Though you still need tophats and perches, you could reuse the ones from your OEM springs/shocks. Or buy them separate and then its just a simple swap.

This is the setup I am looking to get

My neighbor just installed this on his 2013 STI hatch. It actually softened the car for two reasons. The rear spring rate is less (vs STI) and also they are progressive springs vs. linear. That's another big daily driver factor....give up some performance and have a better ride with a progressive spring?

Quote Originally Posted by putt_putt79 View Post
    I'm looking into the same thing no track days but I do Auto-x every month.

Cobb just came out with a new spring set up that I'm interested $255.00 for the set.
    http://http://www.cobbtuning.com/Sub...X-p/915760.htm
    I'm just going to run the springs on the stock struts with the stock BBS rims going to a 255 tire is going to push me out of the STU class that I like to run.

I have no experience with them but I have been told to stay away from cheap coilovers and just go with a good set of springs.

My neighbor just installed this on his 2013 STI hatch. It actually softened the car for two reasons. The rear spring rate is less (vs STI) and also they are progressive springs vs. linear. That's another big daily driver factor....give up some performance and have a better ride with a progressive spring?
    Thanks for the info it sounds like they are not what I'm looking for after all. I was hoping for more performance and don't mind a little bit of a harsher ride. My be I will go with the race comp yellows.

consider the RCE black (regular guy springs) instead of the RCE yellows

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the RCE Blacks and I LOVE them. The handling has improved night and day & the ride is exactly what I was looking for. I researched this exact topic for months. The yellows are considerably harsher for a DD so take that for what it's worth to ya. The best thing I like about the RCE's is it's a plug and play mod...there's no adjusting to be done, there's nothing you have to worry about rusting/lubing etc etc & even though it will be less of a drop than say coilovers I still scrap my front lip like crazy. Now this is what was best for me, you might however want to autox your car more or you might like tinkering with coils that's what you'll have to think about. I did have to roll my rears so keep that in mind also. I called up the fellas at Turn in Concepts (TIC) and these are what they recommended. I have about a finger and a half wheel gap now and to me it's perfect. I'm running 255/35 18's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11832019.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	110667 You can kinda get an idea of the drop with the RCE's in this pic.....and yeah i got dinged for my front tint in calli already....
    Last edited by carnevino; 12-29-2012 at 06:40 PM.