Lug Nut Dilemma

This is a discussion on Lug Nut Dilemma within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Guys, I need your input! I own a 2011 DGM WRX hatch and wanted to install some red lug nuts ...

Lug Nut Dilemma

Guys, I need your input! I own a 2011 DGM WRX hatch and wanted to install some red lug nuts for a bit of color. So, last night I went online and ordered a set of Gorilla Automotive lug nuts from Summit Racing. I was excited to find they had already arrived when I got home today. I went outside and prepared to install one but was disappointed to see that after only installing one lug nut the finish had chipped already. Has anyone had any positive experience with buying a quality lug nut and the finish holding up?

Attachment 109949

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Gorillas are lower on the price point...you usually get what you pay for unfortunately with something like that.

McGuard, Muteki, and Rays are all better quality, but will run you more money.

Call Gorilla up and see what they have to say about it. You might be better off getting another set of stockers and have them powdercoated.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Gorillas are lower on the price point...you usually get what you pay for unfortunately with something like that.

McGuard, Muteki, and Rays are all better quality, but will run you more money.

Call Gorilla up and see what they have to say about it. You might be better off getting another set of stockers and have them powdercoated.
    I figured that I might get a subpar product seeing as I only paid $31 for them. I did find some Mutekis online for just under $50 so that might be the route I go. Thanks for the advice. I saw some Rays online and they cost nearly $200! Too much for lug nuts.

I know the Rays are insane!!! But for racing applications, some people will only trust the best. You should be alright with the Muteki ones.

When I get a spare $50...I'll probably get blue lugs as well to match my WRB STI...but that will be after the Hella horns, Rally Innovations light bar, and the lights to go on it
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I know the Rays are insane!!! But for racing applications, some people will only trust the best. You should be alright with the Muteki ones.

When I get a spare $50...I'll probably get blue lugs as well to match my WRB STI...but that will be after the Hella horns, Rally Innovations light bar, and the lights to go on it
    Sounds like you are gonna have some fun coming up soon! I really wanna do the Hellas as well but I just ordered the Kartboy short shift kit and Rally Armor mudflaps. Gotta do it in stages.

I Support ClubWRX
    We talked about this already but, I agree with Mikie. Muteki's are solid.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT View Post
    Sounds like you are gonna have some fun coming up soon! I really wanna do the Hellas as well but I just ordered the Kartboy short shift kit and Rally Armor mudflaps. Gotta do it in stages.
    You clearly don't know Mikie.

He'll buy the hellas. Then they'll be installed in December of 2013. The light bar will probably be purchased and/or found in the next 6 months and consequentially be installed in mid 2014.

That's if he decides to expedite things....
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Valid point. It's all in stages. Nice slooooow stages.

Well...actually it will be better going forward cause I'm gonna have good tools finally after Christmas. I hate working on my car cause my set of tools sucks. My family has lost or broken everything, and I have a crappy jack...well hell, a crappy jack that won't even fit under my car now.

What I am wondering is whether they will even be noticeable? I'm not for anything major, just a pop of red. I've got some rally armor mud flaps with red lettering coming this week.

They will subtly look noticeable. I've seen red and blue before. They look good as long as theres a bit of a theme.

They will subtly look noticeable. I've seen red and blue before. They look good as long as theres a bit of a theme.
    I hope so. My red theme includes a 1/4" red stripe in the grille, red lug nuts, and black Rally Armor mudflaps with red lettering. My grille is done and the mudflaps are coming in today so I'll try and get pics up this week after I'm done.

Nice. I think it will look good.