WHAT TIRES TO GET?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WHAT TIRES TO GET?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by N8INCHATT Which is why I was recommending a good all-season tire. Just wanted to give my feedback ...

Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT View Post
    Which is why I was recommending a good all-season tire. Just wanted to give my feedback which I assume when done with respect is appreciated. I don't enjoy coming on here to get my "chops busted".
    But that's what I was getting at...all seasons aren't particularly good in any season. They are mediocre in summer, and mediocre in winter. So why buy a great performing car, to put on tires that don't convey adequate performance in any particular situation?

Don't like getting chops busted eh? God I hope you don't spend any time on Nasioc with that finely moisturized buttermilky smooth thin skin...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I actually have to chime in here.

I had a set of nitto-neogens. 225/45/17, which are ultra high performance all seasons.

In the dry and wet, they were leaps and bounds better than nitto 555's 225/40/18 and dunlop sp sport 01's 235/45/17.

Quote Originally Posted by silvercookie View Post
    I actually have to chime in here.

I had a set of nitto-neogens. 225/45/17, which are ultra high performance all seasons.

In the dry and wet, they were leaps and bounds better than nitto 555's 225/40/18 and dunlop sp sport 01's 235/45/17.
    But you have an Automatic tranny...so you have no bearing in here

But I'm also just busting your chops...so I digress
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    But that's what I was getting at...all seasons aren't particularly good in any season. They are mediocre in summer, and mediocre in winter. So why buy a great performing car, to put on tires that don't convey adequate performance in any particular situation?

Don't like getting chops busted eh? God I hope you don't spend any time on Nasioc with that finely moisturized buttermilky smooth thin skin...
    You make a very good point regarding all seasons. But what would you recommend to the owner who can't invest in two sets of wheels and tires? I have used high performance all-seasons before and they did a very good job at providing me with good grip in dry, wet, and snow. What do I know though with my finely moisturized buttermilky smooth thin skin?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT
    You make a very good point regarding all seasons. But what would you recommend to the owner who can't invest in two sets of wheels and tires? I have used high performance all-seasons before and they did a very good job at providing me with good grip in dry, wet, and snow. What do I know though with my finely moisturized buttermilky smooth thin skin?
    Slap dedicated tire sets on, and you'll kick yourself for ever neutering your car with A/S tires

As for the "can't invest in two sets of wheels and tires" comment, you can't or choose not to? I look at dedicated sets as maintenance (A/S tires are insufficient for my needs), and don't mind spending the money. There are other areas that I have to cut back on (I don't go to restaurants as much as I'd like) in order to do so, but it's worth it to me.
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-26-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Slap dedicated tire sets on, and you'll kick yourself for ever neutering your car with A/S tires

As for the "can't invest in two sets of wheels and tires" comment, you can't or choose not to? I look at dedicated sets as maintenance (A/S tires are insufficient for my needs), and don't mind spending the money. There are other areas that I have to cut back on (I don't go to restaurants as much as I'd like) in order to do so, but it's worth it to me.
    Don't worry, I haven't neutered the Rex with all-seasons. I will say in my case I choose not to because the climate I live in really doesn't experience much snow so there is no need to have a dedicated set of winter tires. But you make a very valid point.

Your tires are the only thing connecting your car to the road. Skimping on them is the worst possible decision you can make for your car in terms of all performance aspects especially in braking and handling.

Get the best tires you can afford rather than trying to save as much as possible. What's your budget?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT
    Don't worry, I haven't neutered the Rex with all-seasons. I will say in my case I choose not to because the climate I live in really doesn't experience much snow so there is no need to have a dedicated set of winter tires. But you make a very valid point.
    A/S tires will give up dry/snow grip (which includes both cornering and braking) to performance snow tires. A/S tires will give up dry (and wet, depending on the summer tire chosen) grip, which also includes both cornering/braking, to dedicated summers. I can't quantify the braking aspect, as I haven't measured it, but in terms of cornering, we're talking about 3-5+ MPH for both when you measure "comparable" tires.

When I bought my car, it had Goodyear F1 A/S tires on it. There is an S-Turn by my house that I drove pretty much daily, so I knew it well. The difference between decent A/S tires and good summers was 7-8MPH, with the same level of "breaking loose". The only change in that was the tires (no mod, alignment, etc. differences).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

KHP
    This thread is starting to look very familiar lol.

Are winter tires necessary??

Anyway we're really not sure if the OP wants Winter, Summer, or A/S tires.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Sorry I didn't clarify. I like haveing performance!. but I spend too much money on tires that last only 22k miles. I was looking for like a good tire that can go about 35k. but not spend 1000$ on it. I have the factory Dunlop that came with the car. I do drive in the snow about twice a year and thats if it snows here in NC

That's a tough decision then. We have similar climates and we just don't get snow often enough for me to need a winter tire which is why I'll probably end up staying with a summer performance tire.

How about everybody just tell me what kind of tires you have and how much you like them and i'll just decide on which one's to get. My Dunlop's are ok but they just don't last long at all

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Cooper Zeon RS3-S. These are excellent tires...currently have them on my STI. 10k miles through them and they have great handling, excellent traction, dry and wet. Cost a total of $515 shipped to me.
    I'll reiterate.

To add to that...they have a 300 treadware rating and appear to look like they are going to last another 3-4 summer seasons...total of 25k+ miles or so, which for a summer performance tire, is excellent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12