Are winter tires necessary??

View Poll Results: What tires do you have for winter weather?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kept Stock Summer Tires

4 10.81%
  • Added All Season Tires with stock rims

5 13.51%
  • Added All Season Tires with steel rims

1 2.70%
  • Added Winter Tires with stock rims

10 27.03%
  • Added Winter Tires with steel rims

17 45.95%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Are winter tires necessary?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I live in Hagerstown MD and travel to Montgomery County about once a week where the snow is suppose to ...

Are winter tires necessary??

I live in Hagerstown MD and travel to Montgomery County about once a week where the snow is suppose to be more severe this year. As we all know, Subaru made the very wise decision... of going with summer tires for an AWD car. While they grip the road well during the warmer months, it doesnt make much sense for what most people use these cars for. That being said..

Are winter tires necessary? I have experience driving in the snow but had All Weathers on my old 05 WRX. I don't want to invest in new tires unless it is truly necessary.

Opinions appreciated
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car will crash if it is on summer tires & you find yourself in snow. So yes, I would say winter tires are necessary .
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yes, imo it's not safe to drive with summer tires in the winter. Since you already have summer tires, get winter tires and swap them out when summer is approaching.

I am looking on tirerack.com and finding that blizzak's which i know are highly recommended, are too expensive for me. what is a cheap tire that you would recommend? Also note that although I want to buy some steelies for the winter tires, I would have to stick with the stock rims as thats more money I am not prepared to spend! Damn you subaru and your summer tires.

I Support ClubWRX
    Check out the General Altimax studless snow tires. Also look for a used set of steelies either on the forums or on CL.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thats actually the ones I have in the cart. I have no luck finding any steelies on CL. is $65 per rim a bad price? thats what tirerack has them going for.

Another good affordable snow tire is the Firestone Winterforce.

I had them on my 9c1 and that thing was unstoppable in snow with them.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Damn you subaru and your summer tires.
    If you really have your heart set on owning a set of All-season tires then just buy those. Just be aware that they will not work nearly as well in summer as dedicated summer tires nor will they work in the winter as well as winter tires. If you have 2 sets of tires you can go twice as long before buying a new set because you are using each set for only half the year. Even all-season tires, which should be called no-season because they don't work well anytime, have trouble in freezing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    Even all-season tires, which should be called no-season because they don't work well anytime, have trouble in freezing conditions.
    so much truth ^
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    General Altimax Arctics are a great budget snow tire.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I got caught in a snow storm 2 weeks ago with the summers, it was horible. They are totally worthless in the snow, so I wouldnt risk your life man. Get some winters

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Check out the General Altimax studless snow tires. Also look for a used set of steelies either on the forums or on CL.
    Yes you need snow tires on a wrx. We got hit hard here in CT 11/7 and I found myself driving home in a blizzard. Ive been driving
    on snow for something like 30 some odd years and believe me.. you need something other than stock tires. I run a seperate set of
    General Altimax studless snow tires that work fine for me. By the way they are on my car NOW!
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

+1 on the general altimax artics. I installed them on a recommendation from this forum and while I have yet to drive them in snow, they were very affordable and perform acceptably when it is dry out. They obviously don't perform like the summer tires do in warm weather, but they are good enough for me in freezing temperatures.

I went with the General Altimaxs too!

Okay I think I will be buying the altimaxs. who here did steelies over the stock rims? I'm trying not to spend 1100 bucks on rims/tires for 3 months of the year and adding steelies plus the added shipping adds about 300-350 to the price.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.