Are winter tires necessary?? - Page 9

View Poll Results: What tires do you have for winter weather?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kept Stock Summer Tires

4 10.81%
  • Added All Season Tires with stock rims

5 13.51%
  • Added All Season Tires with steel rims

1 2.70%
  • Added Winter Tires with stock rims

10 27.03%
  • Added Winter Tires with steel rims

17 45.95%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on Are winter tires necessary?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thank youuuuu! That did it....

Thank youuuuu! That did it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do I have to get that installation kit for $45?! Stock lug nuts will fit on just fine?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01
    Do I have to get that installation kit for $45?! Stock lug nuts will fit on just fine?
    Stock lugs are fine.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Are winter tires necessary??

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Heide-

This thread was posted for those like me: lacking knowledge with tires vs seasons. Sorry you don't like ANYTHING that I have done with this thread (poll options, topic etc) but it is my right to post with a topic I feel is worth discussing as it is yours to ignore it or hopefully add input that is useful to those that don't know as much as you.

I get that its considered cool to down those who don't have the knowledge that you do but lets try and be helpful and not start problems.
    My apologies, I did not mean to come across as such. I honestly meant that the poll did not include all the options - not that it was a bad idea.

I don't mean to down people. I state my opinion on a topic, not at a person in particular. Again, my apologies. The last thing I meant to do was put you down personally and it didn't even occur to me that I was.

I have explained the ideas behind this in several threads lately, and my patience was admittedly thin. Feel free to bounce any questions off of me for whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Please take a moment to read the FAQ. It is ClubWRX policy that there be a "Bewbs" option in all polls related and pertaining to this forum.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I appreciate that heide. And what are these bewbz you speak of?

I Support ClubWRX
    Should be noted that you guys picking up non-stock wheels should invest in a set of centering rings.

The stock wheels use the lugnuts to center on the axle, but most after market wheels will require a hard plastic ring to force the wheel to center on the axle as the lugs are tightened.

It was long enough ago when I picked mine up that I don't remember the size or details. You'll have to read around for it. Otherwise, you may run into issues similar to an improperly balanced tire.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Is that something that a tires + would have on hand? I was told this Scotts speed shop will have them but have a guy who will be putting the tires on for me for free so hope to get it taken care of all in one shot.

I got the altimax tires and steelies mounted and balanced for only $680 shipped!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Is that something that a tires + would have on hand? I was told this Scotts speed shop will have them but have a guy who will be putting the tires on for me for free so hope to get it taken care of all in one shot.

I got the altimax tires and steelies mounted and balanced for only $680 shipped!!
    Good call. Apparently if you bought them for tirerack, they will include centering rings. Otherwise, I'd just give the shop a call to confirm. They aren't expensive - just one of those things you don't want to forget.

If you got steelies with them mounted & balanced, I'd consider doing it yourself in the future. It's good to have the ability to throw them on and off as you need without moving the tires to the shop and back.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    I'm with you Callahan, below is a pic of my 2005 WRX with the factory Bridgestone All Season Tires...was out early morning after it snowed overnight, and found this field of new snow, after driving some 25 miles on un-plowed local roads, highways, parkways, and than snow covered dirt roads...I am a proud member of the D.N.S.S.T club:

Attachment 109729

NOTE: DO NOT DRIVE YOUR WRX WITH SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES IN THE SNOW!

-MACE-
    I wish I saw this thread yesterday.

I bought a '13 Limited a month ago and figured I'd purchase a pair of snow tires after the first snow, as is my tradition. I assumed this car had ATs, being an AWD vehicle..

But, after the first snowfall this morning, I rearended a beautiful GTI within five minutes. Thankfully both cars were okay.

Fml. Time to buy some steelies and Blizzaks on tirerack. Cyber Monday deals where are youuuuuu

Check discount tires direct.com I got my tires/ wheels for $150 less than tire rack and they wanted to charge me shipping but from discount tires I got it free.

Sadly I have never changed a tire :-X... I've never had a flat and never had to get into that area. It would be good for me to put them on myself. Is it simple putting the centering ring in for a newbie?

Sadly I have never changed a tire :-X... I've never had a flat and never had to get into that area. It would be good for me to put them on myself. Is it simple putting the centering ring in for a newbie?
    yessir. basically..you spend a total of two seconds fitting it in the wheel and you're good to go..

and thanks for the other site, just ordered them from there.

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI.. Just found out that the TPMS is required by law in CT. It was not required when I
    bought mine from tire rack last year. Thats an additional 200.00 or so to the bottom line.. :/
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

I Support ClubWRX
    The centering ring just needs lined up and tapped in with a bit of force.

As for changing wheels, you should have a torque wrench to do it right. I use a torque wrench on my wheels - I know others that don't but I wouldn't recommend it. Harbor frieght normally has a decent deal on some decent quality ones. Look for one that is 50-100 ftlbs. I think I got the wrench on special for $20-30 shipped. A floor jack would be useful as well - the factory one is pretty bad. Make sure to get some good grease if you are going to use the factory one.
    2011 STi Build Log