Are winter tires necessary?? - Page 7

View Poll Results: What tires do you have for winter weather?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kept Stock Summer Tires

4 10.81%
  • Added All Season Tires with stock rims

5 13.51%
  • Added All Season Tires with steel rims

1 2.70%
  • Added Winter Tires with stock rims

10 27.03%
  • Added Winter Tires with steel rims

17 45.95%
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on Are winter tires necessary?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I chose the most appropriate selection to my setup. Winter tires over a set of alloy wheels(Added Winter Tires with ...

KHP
    I chose the most appropriate selection to my setup. Winter tires over a set of alloy wheels(Added Winter Tires with steel rims).
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    The poll doesn't include all of the options... What if you bought a spare set of wheels for winter use that aren't steelies?

All things aside, this really is kinda silly. Everybody knows the pros/cons of running all season tires vs. dedicated tires by now I'd hope. It's pretty plain and simple to see the compromises you make for convenience of not having to swap your wheels twice a year. Whatever floats your boat.

Again... for the 50th time...

Pros of running all seasons on one set of rims:
    -Don't have to store a spare set of wheels/tires
    -Don't have to change wheels twice a year

Cons of running all seasons on one set of rims:
    -Compromised handling during summer compared to summer tires
    -Compromised safety during winter compared to winter tires

Whether you think it is adequate or not is your decision. Whether you think all seasons are a better tire than tire meant for a specific purpose, that is a silly debate.
    Real world experience counts...vs-BS- one has read on the internet---heidie...have you owned a set of UHP A/S tires that let you down in the snow or driving in late fall and early spring???
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Are winter tires necessary??

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Real world experience counts...vs-BS- one has read on the internet---heidie...have you owned a set of UHP A/S tires that let you down in the snow or driving in late fall and early spring???
    I've driven both a fwd Cadillac and an awd astro van. Ran nice Michelin A/S on the van. Ran season specific tires on the caddy. Would take the caddy with the snows no question asked.

Don't pull the real world experience string. It's not "hyper bs".. It's common sense and science. Just like brake pads, there is no one size fits all that works as well as a custom application. No reading required, just some common sense.

That being said, the compromise may be acceptable for some. I think it is a silly compromise on a car with wide low profile tires like ours. The all seasons may be acceptable for you, which is fine. Just know you are sacrificing performance in some way in all circumstances with a one size fits all tire.
    Last edited by Heide264; 11-25-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep it civil guys.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 11-25-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

LIKE!!! rage-wrx!

Floating my opinion...DO NOT DRIVE YOUR WRX IN THE SNOW WITH OUR STOCK SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES!!!

IMHO...YOU WILL GET BY IN NY, ALL SEASON LONG...WITH UHP A/S TIRES, AND THEY WILL BE GOOD EARLY SPRING AND LATE FALL
    Last edited by pmacey; 11-25-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

Heide-

This thread was posted for those like me: lacking knowledge with tires vs seasons. Sorry you don't like ANYTHING that I have done with this thread (poll options, topic etc) but it is my right to post with a topic I feel is worth discussing as it is yours to ignore it or hopefully add input that is useful to those that don't know as much as you.

I get that its considered cool to down those who don't have the knowledge that you do but lets try and be helpful and not start problems.

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe the suggestion Heide made was legitimate( many of us run aftermarket alloys with our winter tires) & the advise given was helpful.

This is the last time I will say this. Keep it civil.

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    LIKE!!! rage-wrx!

Floating my opinion...DO NOT DRIVE YOUR WRX IN THE SNOW WITH OUR STOCK SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES!!!

IMHO...YOU WILL GET BY IN NY, ALL SEASON LONG...WITH UHP A/S TIRES, AND THEY WILL BE GOOD EARLY SPRING AND LATE FALL
    I have a 3 year old child. Getting by is not an option for me. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 11-25-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Sorry rage. Is there a coupon code or anything offered on this site from tire rack that I haven't found? I realize now, the need for winter tires and its just out of my price range at this time. I'm going to get the altimax arctic's with steelies but its $1,100 after shipping!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Sorry rage. Is there a coupon code or anything offered on this site from tire rack that I haven't found? I realize now, the need for winter tires and its just out of my price range at this time. I'm going to get the altimax arctic's with steelies but its $1,100 after shipping!!!
    Hmm. That does sound odd. Are you looking at 16" tires & steelies? Most of us run a 16" for winter tires.

I checked tirerack. Seems like they are out of General Altimax.

So I checked Discount Tire. They have a $50 off a set of four same tires. Came out to $780 mounted & balanced on a set of steelies without TPMS. Sounds about right. Also check out your local tire dealer. They may match the price or even go lower.

Shopping Cart - Discount Tire Direct
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

it showed as cart empty. did you search 235/45-16? What size is best for winter on 16" rims?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01
    it showed as cart empty. did you search 235/45-16? What size is best for winter on 16" rims?
    What diameter wheel (16x#)? That determines proper tire width (first number).

What's the stock size tire on your car? That determines the proper A/R for the tire (middle number).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    I know that 215/55/16 will get you within a couple mm of stock diameter for the 3rd gens.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

these are the wheels I am looking to put on the wrx with snow tires. which tire size would I need for this rim in 16" Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

Also, will not having TPMS on the snow tires screw up anything? I remember hearing something a while back about there being issues with the TPMS... just being cautious.

And stupid me, I don't know the bolt pattern to put. I know its 5 bolts but the tires say 100-115mm so anything within that is sufficient?

I Support ClubWRX
    these are the wheels I am looking to put on the wrx with snow tires. which tire size would I need for this rim in 16" Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
    6.5" wheel

You can do 205s or 215s. The size Will recommended:
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball
    I know that 215/55/16 will get you within a couple mm of stock diameter for the 3rd gens.
    would be good.

Also, will not having TPMS on the snow tires screw up anything? I remember hearing something a while back about there being issues with the TPMS... just being cautious.
    You'll have a light on your dash, and you'll have to manually check tire pressure.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.