Are winter tires necessary?? - Page 5

View Poll Results: What tires do you have for winter weather?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kept Stock Summer Tires

4 10.81%
  • Added All Season Tires with stock rims

5 13.51%
  • Added All Season Tires with steel rims

1 2.70%
  • Added Winter Tires with stock rims

10 27.03%
  • Added Winter Tires with steel rims

17 45.95%
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on Are winter tires necessary?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by pmacey Ok Whipper Snapper (LOL)...I'm coming up on 45 years of experience driving in the snow Attachment ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Ok Whipper Snapper (LOL)...I'm coming up on 45 years of experience driving in the snow

Attachment 109730

-MACE-
    Someone older than me?!?

Welcome!

Quick (no Internet cheating!) - Who was the voice of the guy in the image?

Jim Backus
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Someone older than me?!?

Welcome!

Quick (no Internet cheating!) - Who was the voice of the guy in the image?

Jim Backus
    It was J.B.

I Support ClubWRX
    It was J.B.
    Justin Bieber?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    It was J.B.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Justin Bieber?
    NO!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

KHP
    Just gotta add to the discussion here. While winter tires help a lot with light to heavy snow traction they really do shine on ice which I think some of your guys are overlooking. I can guarantee you that any dedicated winter tires do make a big difference over any A/S tires in this particular situation.

A year ago we had a big winter storm and then mid day thaw. Temperatures dropped in the afternoon and froze over all the roads. I was dodging cars/trucks/SUVs sliding down a hill in both directions . I believe I was the only one that made it up the hill. My winter tires gave me enough control and traction to dodge cars and climb the hill. I gotta guarantee that at least 1/3 of those vehicles had A/S tires, 1/3 probably some knubby mud tires and 1/3 having just worn out crap tires.

I also gotta agree that no amount of experience will help a situation when vehicle is sliding down a hill and accelerating with close to 0 traction(I guess you guys are so lucky if you're located in flat lands lol).
    Last edited by KHP; 11-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Yep

NO!
    J.B. - AKA Thurston Howell III

BTW: bet he never had a problem driving a WRX on ice...especially Black Ice, which is one of the worst unsuspecting dangers to any car, regardless of what tires you own!

-MACE-

I Support ClubWRX
    J.B. - AKA Thurston Howell III

BTW: bet he never had a problem driving a WRX on ice...especially Black Ice, which is one of the worst unsuspecting dangers to any car, regardless of what tires you own!

-MACE-
    Aye Skipper! Drag your mouse cursor over my question post. I left the answer in a white font.

Black ice is fairly easy to spot if you know what to look for. Polarized sunglass lenses can hide it if you do not know what you are looking at. I learned to see black ice with polarized lenses long ago.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    While a UHP all-season tire will likely out-handle a generic snow tire, you've opted for the performance snow.
    Now when you say generic snow tire, would you consider the general altimax a generic snow tire? I was considering getting these since they seem to handle surprisingly well for a cheaper tire as many have stated on reviews and here on the forum. However, I'd feel inclined to spend more money if UHP A/S tires could outperform them

KHP
    Aye Skipper! Drag your mouse cursor over my question post. I left the answer in a white font.

Black ice is fairly easy to spot if you know what to look for. Polarized sunglass lenses can hide it if you do not know what you are looking at. I learned to see black ice with polarized lenses long ago.
    I know relatively well how to spot black ice. The issue is what if the whole road is black ice? This scenario happens frequently around my area. I know I'm fine in my car, but still fear for my safety due to the other ill equipped cars on the road .

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    Now when you say generic snow tire, would you consider the general altimax a generic snow tire? I was considering getting these since they seem to handle surprisingly well for a cheaper tire as many have stated on reviews and here on the forum. However, I'd feel inclined to spend more money if UHP A/S tires could outperform them
    I wouldn't consider those particular tires as generic. They are cheap, but very well known for their winter performance. They are very popular tires in my area. I would take the Generals over any A/S tires regarding winter driving performance.

I Support ClubWRX
    Black ice is a serious hazard. It can crop up in little or no time, especially in the early morning. It can also disappear just as fast.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    I wouldn't consider those particular tires as generic. They are cheap, but very well known for their winter performance. They are very popular tires in my area. I would take the Generals over any A/S tires regarding winter driving performance.
    Yeah, I figured if anything I can try them out for a season and see how I like them. I doubt I won't be more than happy with them, seems like the best bang for the buck.

[QUOTE=Sasquatch;2958056]Aye Skipper!

Its Gilligan's Island

Off topic: Maryanne in her red halter and blue short shorts...or Ginger in her form fitting sequin Hollywood dress, with a flower in her ear?

Steering back through the Black Ice and getting back to topic...Maryanne looks like a World Rally Blue WRX owner with dedicated snow tires, Ginger would want the White Pearl WRX with UHP All Season Tires...

And the Professor would quote from from reading one of his research books...how they are both wrong on their tire choice...

-MACE-
    Last edited by pmacey; 11-22-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Are winter tires necessary??

I bought some nankang Sv 1 snow tires and I'm surprised that they are doing just as well as the blizzaks I've own and dunlops. And they were only $500 for a set of 4 in 18in. Check them out. Can go wrong for how cheap they are and they rock in the snow.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by olenderc
    The Generals are regular studless/studded snow tires. They are not performance snows.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.