Subaru WRX Forum banner

What tires do you have for winter weather?

• Kept Stock Summer Tires

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Added All Season Tires with stock rims

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Added All Season Tires with steel rims

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Added Winter Tires with stock rims

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Added Winter Tires with steel rims

Votes: 17 45.9%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are winter tires necessary??

18K views 201 replies 40 participants last post by  zax 
#1 ·
I live in Hagerstown MD and travel to Montgomery County about once a week where the snow is suppose to be more severe this year. As we all know, Subaru made the very wise decision...:shakehead: of going with summer tires for an AWD car. While they grip the road well during the warmer months, it doesnt make much sense for what most people use these cars for. That being said..

Are winter tires necessary? I have experience driving in the snow but had All Weathers on my old 05 WRX. I don't want to invest in new tires unless it is truly necessary.

Opinions appreciated

#86 · (Edited)
Like the poll, just voted for A/S on stock rims. Note: see my F/S post of my stock Summer Tires with 300 Miles

Below is a pic of my new Continental ExtremeContact Dry Wet Snow Tire, waiting to see how they handle on my favorite dirt road in the Snow and Mud, and most important: get me up my 190 foot uphill steep driveway in snow (disclaimer: do not attempt this with the stock Summer Performance tires):

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Wheel

#87 ·
The poll doesn't include all of the options... What if you bought a spare set of wheels for winter use that aren't steelies?

All things aside, this really is kinda silly. Everybody knows the pros/cons of running all season tires vs. dedicated tires by now I'd hope. It's pretty plain and simple to see the compromises you make for convenience of not having to swap your wheels twice a year. Whatever floats your boat.

Again... for the 50th time...

Pros of running all seasons on one set of rims:
-Don't have to store a spare set of wheels/tires
-Don't have to change wheels twice a year

Cons of running all seasons on one set of rims:
-Compromised handling during summer compared to summer tires
-Compromised safety during winter compared to winter tires

Whether you think it is adequate or not is your decision. Whether you think all seasons are a better tire than tire meant for a specific purpose, that is a silly debate.

#88 ·
The poll doesn't include all of the options... What if you bought a spare set of wheels for winter use that aren't steelies?

Whether you think it is adequate or not is your decision. Whether you think all seasons are a better tire than tire meant for a specific purpose, that is a silly debate.
+1

#97 · (Edited)
I believe the suggestion Heide made was legitimate( many of us run aftermarket alloys with our winter tires) & the advise given was helpful.

This is the last time I will say this. Keep it civil.

I have a 3 year old child. Getting by is not an option for me. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

#96 ·
Heide-

This thread was posted for those like me: lacking knowledge with tires vs seasons. Sorry you don't like ANYTHING that I have done with this thread (poll options, topic etc) but it is my right to post with a topic I feel is worth discussing as it is yours to ignore it or hopefully add input that is useful to those that don't know as much as you.

I get that its considered cool to down those who don't have the knowledge that you do but lets try and be helpful and not start problems.

#124 ·
My apologies, I did not mean to come across as such. I honestly meant that the poll did not include all the options - not that it was a bad idea.

I don't mean to down people. I state my opinion on a topic, not at a person in particular. Again, my apologies. The last thing I meant to do was put you down personally and it didn't even occur to me that I was.

I have explained the ideas behind this in several threads lately, and my patience was admittedly thin. Feel free to bounce any questions off of me for whatever. :)

#98 ·
Sorry rage. Is there a coupon code or anything offered on this site from tire rack that I haven't found? I realize now, the need for winter tires and its just out of my price range at this time. I'm going to get the altimax arctic's with steelies but its $1,100 after shipping!!!

#99 ·
Hmm. That does sound odd. Are you looking at 16" tires & steelies? Most of us run a 16" for winter tires.

I checked tirerack. Seems like they are out of General Altimax.

So I checked Discount Tire. They have a $50 off a set of four same tires. Came out to $780 mounted & balanced on a set of steelies without TPMS. Sounds about right. Also check out your local tire dealer. They may match the price or even go lower.

Shopping Cart - Discount Tire Direct

#102 ·
I know that 215/55/16 will get you within a couple mm of stock diameter for the 3rd gens.

#101 ·
rurso01 said:
it showed as cart empty. did you search 235/45-16? What size is best for winter on 16" rims?
What diameter wheel (16x#)? That determines proper tire width (first number).

What's the stock size tire on your car? That determines the proper A/R for the tire (middle number).

#107 ·
#105 ·
rurso01 said:
these are the wheels I am looking to put on the wrx with snow tires. which tire size would I need for this rim in 16" Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
6.5" wheel

You can do 205s or 215s. The size Will recommended:
Calvinball said:
I know that 215/55/16 will get you within a couple mm of stock diameter for the 3rd gens.
would be good.

rurso01 said:
Also, will not having TPMS on the snow tires screw up anything? I remember hearing something a while back about there being issues with the TPMS... just being cautious.
You'll have a light on your dash, and you'll have to manually check tire pressure.

#106 · (Edited)
Around my area having winter tires is a must. A/S is pretty much as good as stranded when a good storm hits. We have mountain pass inspection points/tire chain stops. They check whether vehicles are 4WD/AWD with A/S tires and chains on before they let you pass(this will not happen in the WRX because of the small wheel well). If you have Winter Tires and 4WD/AWD then you're good to go 90% of the time.

Attempt to do the same feat with summer tires is just pure stupidity and attempting the same feat with any A/S tires will get you sent back if you're not already stuck!!!

(Winter tires bears the following snowflake on mountain logo right on the side wall)
View attachment 109841

I know I maybe starting to sound like a broken record, but the particular requirement above says it all.
Summer Tires < A/S tires < A/S w/tire chains = Winter tires < Winter Tires w/chains :eek::drive2:

They are necessary for certain places and may not be for others. Non-mountain states may have never heard of such requirements. I guess this is just a proof of A/S (UHP A/S are still all seasons!) being inferior to dedicated Winter tires in extreme winter conditions.

#108 ·
The TPMS light I'm assuming? and that would go away the moment I put on the stock tires again? sorry for so many questions just like to get everything right the first time.

when I am searching for tires based on the rim size it gives me options for the bolt patterns to match the rim. The rim says 6.5 5-100/115. I know that 6.5 is the width, 5 is the # of bolts and the 100/115 is the mm between bolts.

My question is when it says 100/115, is that the range I can go and still have it fit safely? Totally nub with tires/rims as if I needed to state that.

#110 ·
rurso01 said:
Okay gotcha, I'll go with 5x100 then!
You had the regular Impreza (N/A) selected. You need to redo your selection for the WRX hatch.

rurso01 said:
The TPMS light I'm assuming? and that would go away the moment I put on the stock tires again? sorry for so many questions just like to get everything right the first time.
Yes

#111 ·
The TPMS light will go off once you put the stock tires with TPMS sensors back on & drive for a couple of miles. Of course you will have to have the right pressure.

The thing with TPMS sensors is that unlike other car manufacturers Subaru's quirky TPMS system cannot be set with a OTC TPMS reset tool.(Some say it can be with more expensive reset tools) You will have to take the car to the dealer each time you change over at the end of the season to have them reprogram the sensor. Hence the reason many of us don't get the TPMS sensors installed in the winter wheels.

#113 ·
I got my tires from a local tire dealer for a little less than online retailers and I got TPMS sensors with my winter set. They reset the sensors for free at every seasonal change over because I bought the tires from them(Just an option if the OP is thinking of purchasing TPMS sensors).
I'm OCD with panel lights lol. Other than that TPMS sensors are completely optional.

#115 ·
That's where I got my tires from is Discount Tires brick and mortar store. If you found a good deal at their website you may want to check out whether you have them locally. You should be able to go to their store and get the same prices.

#118 ·
I have tried it like 10 times and cant get to anything that offers free mounting and balancing. I got to the screen where it talks about adding TPMS but unless its a tire/wheel package they have put together already, I can't get free mounting and balancing. Am I doing something wrong?!

#119 ·
I figured out the problem: Q. The tires and wheels I want aren't offered as a package. Can I purchase them as a package?
A. Yes!
If the tires and wheels you are looking for are approved for your vehicle you can create your own package online. Search for tires and wheels using your vehicle then add them to your shopping cart. When you purchase a tire and wheel package we will mount and balance for free and ship it ready to be bolted on.

When I select 13 wrx hatchback it only shows me tires/wheels that are same size as stock. It won't let me change the size I want no matter what I do!

#120 ·
What I did was,on the home page I chose Winter tires. Chose the ones I wanted,put it in the cart,then selected wheels & options & added to the cart. It came up together during checkout.

If in doubt you can always just call them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.