Are winter tires necessary?? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What tires do you have for winter weather?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kept Stock Summer Tires

4 10.81%
  • Added All Season Tires with stock rims

5 13.51%
  • Added All Season Tires with steel rims

1 2.70%
  • Added Winter Tires with stock rims

10 27.03%
  • Added Winter Tires with steel rims

17 45.95%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Are winter tires necessary?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 I don't like Blizzaks. The compound that makes them good wears off after a season or ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I don't like Blizzaks. The compound that makes them good wears off after a season or two, and you're left with expensive A/S performance.
    Blizzaks in general? I believe there are two main blizzak tires - a 60 and 70... one of which being a 'performance' tire and one being a straight up snow tires.

For what its worth, I went with the straight up snow tires. Its worked for me, but we had a mild winter. They looked almost new after the season also, which is always a perk.

I don't have any experience with other snow tires to compare them, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It is a common misconception that snow tires/winter tires are only for the snow. When temps drop into the 40s summer tires already have compromised performance whether you are driving in the snow or in the dry.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264
    Blizzaks in general?
    Yes.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    It is a common misconception that snow tires/winter tires are only for the snow. When temps drop into the 40s summer tires already have compromised performance whether you are driving in the snow or in the dry.
    Agreed. Due to the super soft larger sidewall on these, I always take it very easy handling wise with snows on. They have performed well when I have needed to really jam the brakes on though without kicking in the ABS much. It's a great point to bring up though. Those summers probably wouldn't stop for their life in these temps.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Yes.
    Fair enough. I'll make sure to try some others next set. For what I was looking for in a snow tire, it seemed clear given tire racks evaluation. Always open to change though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264
    Fair enough. I'll make sure to try some others next set. For what I was looking for in a snow tire, it seemed clear given tire racks evaluation. Always open to change though.
    If you want to spend the $$ for high-end snow tires, Nokian. Otherwise, the Generals.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ +1,000,000

My thoughts exactly.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

If you really don't want to buy wheels, Firestone Complete Auto stores will mount your tires free of charge for the life of the tires if you bought them there. I have one set of wheels and run snows year round. I just dropped the car off with the tires in the back and signed the receipt when I picked it up. They even got rid of my worn out snows free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Blizzaks in general? I believe there are two main blizzak tires - a 60 and 70... one of which being a 'performance' tire and one being a straight up snow tires.
    The WS60/70 are both studless Ice and Snow and there is the LM-60 which is a Performance Winter which is H rated and has a stiffer sidewall with a different compound than the WS tires. IIRC Sinister uses the LM-60s
    Last edited by SKI.WRX; 11-21-2012 at 04:51 PM.

KHP
    I would also say winter tires are not optional in areas that get temperature below 40 degrees F and get occasional snow. The car is pretty much useless with summer tires on snow. Like everyone said you'll likely endanger yourself, and others if you attempt such a feat.

It's unfortunate to hear that you're unable to equip your car properly for winter driving this season. The most fun you'll have with our cars is winter driving with proper tires. It's always fun driving past trucks/SUVs stuck on the side of the road and offer to help pull them out with a tow strap and a small car.

I got a good footage recently. I would have offered the guy or gal help, but I realized I forgot my tow strap from storage last season.

Last edited by KHP; 11-21-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

It's unfortunate to hear that you're unable to equip your car properly for winter driving this season. The most fun you'll have with our cars is winter driving with proper tires. It's always fun driving past trucks/SUVs stuck on the side of the road and offer to help pull them out with a tow strap and a small car.

Love the video what winter tires are you running? where did you buy your tow strap I want to help an suv this winter!! just curious about how fast were you driving? Do you add any extra weight to the car, sandbags, our cars are so light?

I may regret it, but I don't plan to change out my tires for winter. I used to drive Mustang GTs in the winter with Goodyear Gatorback tires.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by nepats555 View Post
    Love the video what winter tires are you running? where did you buy your tow strap I want to help an suv this winter!! just curious about how fast were you driving? Do you add any extra weight to the car, sandbags, our cars are so light?
    It's funny that you ask lol. I'm running Hankook IceBear WS300 205/50 R17 on 7.5 wide wheels. The tires have gotten some mixed reviews, but has yet to fail me and I'm happy with them.

I do help pull out people in need. Just be careful when you do so as our car were never designed to tow. Excessive load to the clutch and drivetrain is a concern. You can grab tow straps from local car parts stores (Autozone, Kragen, Sears, etc...).

I usually do not drive faster than 45mph, but it depends on road conditions. Winter driving is challenging in a way that conditions can change instantaneously. I leave my car is loaded normally(Just me, passengers, and appropriate gear for the occasion). I do not weight down my car as I like to preserve MPG's.
    Last edited by KHP; 11-21-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I may regret it, but I don't plan to change out my tires for winter. I used to drive Mustang GTs in the winter with Goodyear Gatorback tires.
    i never realised how "bad" my Magnum was in the snow until i got rid of it. in purchasing a $29k car, a set of winter tires on steelies is really not that big of a deal to me. wrecking my car or possibly hurting someone else is.

i can't believe someone would be so irresponsible to attempt this. i suggest you find a parking lot and drive around to see how bad they are. -while NOT on a subie, we took a friends maxima and did this to show him he needed to swap out his tires ASAP. the car would get stuck in 2.5" of snow.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXchet View Post
    i can't believe someone would be so irresponsible to attempt this.
    So then you have never been to Ohio
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

For those who owned the older WRXs that came stock with All Season tires (what year did the WRX start coming with Summer Performance tires?), did you buy dedicated summer and winter tires?

-MACE-

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: Are winter tires necessary??

I say go with snow tires if you can afford them and your area gets a lot of snow, here in NJ I always run all season tires and the few days it snows just drive carefully, up shift a lot and keep it slow, and give yourself distance to slow down

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED