Are winter tires necessary?? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What tires do you have for winter weather?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kept Stock Summer Tires

4 10.81%
  • Added All Season Tires with stock rims

5 13.51%
  • Added All Season Tires with steel rims

1 2.70%
  • Added Winter Tires with stock rims

10 27.03%
  • Added Winter Tires with steel rims

17 45.95%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Are winter tires necessary?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got my winter tires and rims in, payed about 1200 for alloy rims and Blizzaks...which included shipping. Not ...

I just got my winter tires and rims in, payed about 1200 for alloy rims and Blizzaks...which included shipping. Not bad, but still expensive. The good thing is that the rims are a one time cost (hopefully), and I don't have to go to a shop to get my tires mounted and balanced twice a year. The rims will pay for themselves in that respect over time. I am going to put them on tomorrow to break the tires in a little before the snow flies. Can't wait to see the bronze Sparco Assetto's on my ride.
    It's sad that in this day in age a family can be torn apart by something as small as a pack of wild dogs.

2012 OBP WRX Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A set of steel wheels will pay for themselves within two tire swaps, i.e. by the time you put on winter tires this year and put the summers back on next spring, that'll cost as much as buying the extra wheels. Getting a cheap set of alloys takes twice as long to pay for themselves since they're usually about twice the price.

Even the cheapest winter tire will be far better than the summer tires on anything but dry pavement. Unfortunately you're not going to get very good performance on dry pavement, but that's the price you pay for skimping on tires.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Check and see if your local Firestone/Bridgestone dealer in your area is having a black Friday sale. I am getting Blizzaks put on this Friday for less than the tire rack price.

If I had the money and storage for 4 extra wheels/tires, then I would definitely want to have a winter swap, but since I don't have either, I have to ask this;

Are brand new summer tires on an AWD vehicle in the snow better/worse/same than bald summer tires on a 1.8T Jetta? I survived in the Jetta, but it was dangerous to say the least...

Are winter tires necessary??

get winter tires!

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Are winter tires necessary??

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    Are brand new summer tires on an AWD vehicle in the snow better/worse/same than bald summer tires on a 1.8T Jetta? I survived in the Jetta, but it was dangerous to say the least...
    Not better,not worse & not same IMO. The car will definitely crash on the stock summer tires in the snow. You will be posing a risk to yourself as well as to other drivers. I was one of the first to get the 2011 back in 2010 that came with the new summer tires. I had a set of winters but it snowed unexpectedly & I figured I could drive to work & back on the summers. A few feet out of my driveway I realized that the car had no plans of stopping & I had absolutely zero control. I learned the hard way. Learn from my mistake & don't make the same.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    AWD does nothing to help your braking. If your tires can't grip in the snow, you won't be able to stop even if you have 12 wheel drive. That's the most dangerous factor to both yourself and other drivers. Consider snow tires cheap insurance: a few hundred bucks upfront for winter tires will help protect you against thousands in damage, hospital bills, or worse. They aren't foolproof, but summer tires on snow is outright dangerous to yourself and other traffic.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Just bought a set of Altimax tires. Probably not going to need them all that often, but when it snows in Seattle they just don't have the resources to take care of the roads and most cars (including SUVs) struggle with the hills. Also will need those to go skiing, come to think of it. They'll probably be on from December to March.
    PA-C

I'm also located in Connecticut, however, I'm still waiting for my car to come in. I'm not sure if I should possibly try taking advantage of a black friday deal if I stumble upon one? If money isn't so much of a concern, would I see that much difference from a Blizzak tire over the General Altimax? I'm hearing the Altmax are much cheaper and people are having a lot of success with them. Also if anyone could recommend a particular Blizzak there were a couple I saw and couldn't really tell the difference other than price? My actual dilemma rests on the fact if I'll actually get my car in time for winter (placed order 11/3) or if it'll come in early spring and getting a deal on snow tires will be pointless.

Well I hope it doesn't snow too bad this year, I'm not risking it and I can't afford to equip my car properly.

Thanks!

Well I hope it doesn't snow too bad this year, I'm not risking it and I can't afford to equip my car properly.

Thanks!
    Not to sound like a douche, but I recall reading another thread recently where you were talking about the new $800 head unit you were having professionally installed...but you can't afford winter tires? I'll bet it will be the best sounding WRX a tow truck driver ever pulled out of a ditch.
    It's sad that in this day in age a family can be torn apart by something as small as a pack of wild dogs.

2012 OBP WRX Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Not to sound like a douche, but I recall reading another thread recently where you were talking about the new $800 head unit you were having professionally installed...but you can't afford winter tires? I'll bet it will be the best sounding WRX a tow truck driver ever pulled out of a ditch.
    Haha I was waiting for this because I thought the same myself. The difference being that I don't HAVE to drive in snow but I do have to have good sounding music.

I am not driving in snow until I recoup from the audio install

Blizzak LM-60's vs General Altimax? The blizzaks are about 40 dollars more per tire and considered performance winter/snow tires. Would there be a significantly noticeable increase in handling over the Altimax?

Haha I was waiting for this because I thought the same myself. The difference being that I don't HAVE to drive in snow but I do have to have good sounding music.

I am not driving in snow until I recoup from the audio install
    I guess it's nice to not have to drive in the snow. My WRX is my everyday driver and they don't cancel work for snow (even blizzards), so it leaves me little choice. I wanted to upgrade my sways and links but I'm gonna have to wait until summer. I just plopped out 1200 on tires and rims.

In any case, I really hope you can avoid driving in snow...summer tires are worthless and dangerous in snow.

2012 OBP WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by olenderc
    Blizzak LM-60's vs General Altimax? The blizzaks are about 40 dollars more per tire and considered performance winter/snow tires. Would there be a significantly noticeable increase in handling over the Altimax?
    I don't like Blizzaks. The compound that makes them good wears off after a season or two, and you're left with expensive A/S performance.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC