Are winter tires necessary?? - Page 11

View Poll Results: What tires do you have for winter weather?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kept Stock Summer Tires

4 10.81%
  • Added All Season Tires with stock rims

5 13.51%
  • Added All Season Tires with steel rims

1 2.70%
  • Added Winter Tires with stock rims

10 27.03%
  • Added Winter Tires with steel rims

17 45.95%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on Are winter tires necessary?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; that is not exactly true. There are devices that will cause the sensor to broadcast their ID number and scanners ...

I Support ClubWRX
    that is not exactly true. There are devices that will cause the sensor to broadcast their ID number and scanners to read those broadcasts. They are several hundred or thousand bucks, so not likely a LEO would have one handy in their squad car, but devices exist.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought these tires for (and have them mounted on) the stock wheels. It snowed this morning so I was playing around in the snow in a parking lot this morning to see how the tires did. Not bad at all, it took kind of a lot to get the car to start sliding. I only discovered after getting out of the car and nearly falling on my face that I had been driving on ice and not snow. I am really impressed with the tires, at least from that little bit of driving. Looking forward to some sure-footed winter driving.

Quote Originally Posted by sn0wie View Post
    rurso, what was the exact wheel/tire combo you ended up going with?
    I went with the General Altimax Arctics and steelies from Unique I believe. They are 215/55/16 tires as recommended by everyone here and discounttiresdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ikana View Post
    I bought these tires for (and have them mounted on) the stock wheels. It snowed this morning so I was playing around in the snow in a parking lot this morning to see how the tires did. Not bad at all, it took kind of a lot to get the car to start sliding. I only discovered after getting out of the car and nearly falling on my face that I had been driving on ice and not snow. I am really impressed with the tires, at least from that little bit of driving. Looking forward to some sure-footed winter driving.
    I'm glad to hear they are working well for you. I hope to have the same results. Here in MD, its hit and miss with snow. It either snows 1-2 feet or its only an inch, never in between.

as far as i am aware, as long as you bring me(at the shop) wheels and tires to be mounted up it doesnt matter what YOU install them on. (montana tpms laws, although im due for a refresher course in december) if I install them, ill likely be swaping the sensors between wheels as i am required to. but if you buy a set of winters and steelies, blot them up(and torque) yourself....should be free and clear.

the owners of a mattress shop cant remove the tags, but you can once you've bought it and brought it home. i think it falls under the same type of laws. might call the local shop that does saftey/smog inspections(if appicable) and ask. never hurts to be sure.

i just installed a set of 225 50 16 firestone winterforce without studding and it drives GREAT in 3"" snow. SO MUCH FUN, now if i could just find a good tank of gas.
    Last edited by tirerob; 11-26-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    that is not exactly true. There are devices that will cause the sensor to broadcast their ID number and scanners to read those broadcasts. They are several hundred or thousand bucks, so not likely a LEO would have one handy in their squad car, but devices exist.
    Well yeah that's kind of what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikana View Post
    There are no tires that will give you good traction on ice, even studded. You definitely weren't driving on true ice or there's no way it would have taken "a lot to get the car to start sliding." But I'm glad you're happy with the tires. The fact is even the cheapest winter-specific tires will be 1 million times better than any summer tires.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

The poll is nice and fine, but I got winters on aftermarket alu-wheels. so I can't compete in this....
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I agree. Winter tires with aluminum wheels are the superior choice.

I would suggest to use the stock wheels with winter tires, and get a nice set of lightweight wheels for the summers.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

For those with aftermarket rims, just vote for steel rims to get a total. The point I was making was did you stick with stock rims or not. Can I edit the poll??

^ OK, my vote is in, don't edit the poll now, that would defeat the purpose.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    And how would you suggest I vote...I have snow tires on 2003 LGT wheels, and a 2011 WRX....they are technically stock Subaru wheels, just not for my car.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I haz no stock wheels
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I haz no stock wheels
    Zach, go home....you're drunk.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'd track it back but you somehow borked the little arrows that should be in the quotes.

So if this is turning into the official winter tire thread here is what I recommend -

Get a used set of the original 16" bugeye wheels. They are very good alloy wheels - very light and strong. They should be cheap too (at least they used to be easy to get when everyone was taking them off).

Get performance winters unless you are in real mountains or real north country. I had a great drive today on a very twisty road in the rain and low 40's. I was trying to get loose (safely - after the corner is completely in the bag give a little extra flick and mash the gas) to little effect. The only ones I have tried are the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II and they get two big thumbs up from me. They wear very long (I abused them for a whole summer) and they are actually great handling tires. They hold great, don't roll over too much, and give up traction in a predictable manor. I would not hesitate to drive them from here to Canada in a blizzard (I'd say California too but a couple of those passes can require real winter tires).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist
    Get performance winters unless you are in real mountains or real north country. I had a great drive today on a very twisty road in the rain and low 40's. I was trying to get loose (safely - after the corner is completely in the bag give a little extra flick and mash the gas) to little effect. The only ones I have tried are the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II and they get two big thumbs up from me. They wear very long (I abused them for a whole summer) and they are actually great handling tires. They hold great, don't roll over too much, and give up traction in a predictable manor. I would not hesitate to drive them from here to Canada in a blizzard (I'd say California too but a couple of those passes can require real winter tires).
    Just be sure to stop by on your way for a beer/cigar...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC