Are winter tires necessary?? - Page 10

View Poll Results: What tires do you have for winter weather?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kept Stock Summer Tires

4 10.81%
  • Added All Season Tires with stock rims

5 13.51%
  • Added All Season Tires with steel rims

1 2.70%
  • Added Winter Tires with stock rims

10 27.03%
  • Added Winter Tires with steel rims

17 45.95%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on Are winter tires necessary?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Required by law?! How would a cop know if i got it installed? Sorry officer my tire pressure is love ...

Required by law?! How would a cop know if i got it installed? Sorry officer my tire pressure is love and that's thag

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    FYI.. Just found out that the TPMS is required by law in CT. It was not required when I
    bought mine from tire rack last year. Thats an additional 200.00 or so to the bottom line.. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Required by law?! How would a cop know if i got it installed? Sorry officer my tire pressure is love and that's thag
    That's news to me at least. I wouldn't be surprised, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    rurso, what was the exact wheel/tire combo you ended up going with?

Isn't it federal law?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

KHP
    I know that the federal government started mandating vehicle manufacturers to implement some sort of tire pressure monitoring on vehicles after a certain year. Though I'm not sure that they're enforcing it on an individual basis(post manufacturing). So your car is equipped with TPMS system, but is INOP without the sensors which is the operators decision.
    Last edited by KHP; 11-26-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    It is fed law that all new vehicles after 2005 have TPMS standard....it is also fed law that no shop mount tires on a car that has TPMS without sensors in the wheels.

I am not too sure about the legality of an individual owner electing to mount winter wheels on thier car that don't have tpms sensors.

I all boils down to safety regulations to make sure you are not driving on low pressure.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    It is fed law that all new vehicles after 2005 have TPMS standard....it is also fed law that no shop mount tires on a car that has TPMS without sensors in the wheels.

I am not too sure about the legality of an individual owner electing to mount winter wheels on thier car that don't have tpms sensors.

I all boils down to safety regulations to make sure you are not driving on low pressure.
    I guess it's a grey area type of thing again. Obviously cops don't have xray vision and pull you over just because you didn't have sensors. Unless I guess you get in an accident and they forensically tore down the scene and tracked down the cause to low tire pressure and the tires not having sensors to warn the driver.

I don't really need sensors as I check my tire pressure every two weeks or so, but I have them anyway because I hate having any warning lights on my gauge panel.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't need them either, but they have come in handy a few times. The ones on my old tC would trip the light if there was a nail in the tire....which is nice to know information even when they are jolding pressure just fine.

On my rex, they let me know last winter when there was a sudden temp drop outside that made the pressure in the tire drop enough that I was a bit low (29psi) (went from 50's in the day to mid teens by the time I got out of work).

'course, in both cases above I had to investigate to find why the light came on, but the heads-up is a nice convenience.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't need them either, but they have come in handy a few times. The ones on my old tC would trip the light if there was a nail in the tire....which is nice to know information even when they are jolding pressure just fine.

On my rex, they let me know last winter when there was a sudden temp drop outside that made the pressure in the tire drop enough that I was a bit low (29psi) (went from 50's in the day to mid teens by the time I got out of work).

'course, in both cases above I had to investigate to find why the light came on, but the heads-up is a nice convenience.
    Just a side note Bruce, but if it gets to be an issue you can consider filling the tires with nitrogen. I'm not sure how effective it is when dealing with lower temps, but I know a few serious guys at the track with larger cars do to avoid the (massive) change in pressure with temperature.

I'm not sure if it works on the lower end of the temp spectrum though. To my understanding, it is the water vapor in the tire that turns to steam and causes issues when hot. By heating your tires up to turn the moisture into steam, purging all of the air (and now steam), and filling with nitrogen, you can eliminate most of the hot pressure changes.

It's way too much work for me... plus I left my nitrogen compressor next to my cable stretcher in a past life time. The option is there though in the future.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Right....my understanding is that nitrogen takes much higher pressure to compress than normal air does, and does not expand the same as it heats. Additionally, nitrogen molecules are larger making pressure loss through reverse osmosis far less than normal air....

These two properties together keep pressure more consistent as the tires heat and cool in addition to keeping proper pressure for longer periods of time (biweekly pressure checks are not as needed)

edit..... Oh, and btw, Costco does nitrogen tire fills in their tire center, so if you have a membership they can fill you up with nitrogen incase anyone is interested
    Last edited by DemonWRX; 11-26-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Right....my understanding is that nitrogen takes much higher pressure to compress than normal air does, and does not expand the same as it heats. Additionally, nitrogen molecules are larger making pressure loss through reverse osmosis far less than normal air....

These two properties together keep pressure more consistent as the tires heat and cool in addition to keeping proper pressure for longer periods of time (biweekly pressure checks are not as needed)
    That's aside from the water vapor issue I had read about I believe, but valid nonetheless.

The last book I read actually recommended deflating you tires and covering them in garbage bags when you take them off. I will probably do that for whats left of my RE-11s for next year. Worth a go I figure.

/threadjack
    2011 STi Build Log

My 2007 STI didn't have TPMS...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I only skimmed the last couple of pages, but in case it hasn't been said - winter performance tires are a great option in many areas. I have direct experience with them vs. several sets of A/S on my WRX and they perform significantly better in snow than all seasons and also perform better in dry or wet cold conditions.

I sort of agree that A/S are adequate and not a real safety issue if you drive safely in areas with reasonable road service (plows) and not a ton of huge hills. I could see preferring them to a real serious snow winter tire for a significant portion of the winter in many areas that get the occasional snow and where you aren't often making actual tracks for yourself through anything over a couple inches. That being said, I'd only do them in a second set in rotation with real summer tires, because I don't think A/S compare to a real good set of summers in any way, shape, or form. And then, since you have two sets anyway, winter performance is the obviously better choice over A/S.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist
    I only skimmed the last couple of pages, but in case it hasn't been said - winter performance tires are a great option in many areas. I have direct experience with them vs. several sets of A/S on my WRX and they perform significantly better in snow than all seasons and also perform better in dry or wet cold conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    While a UHP all-season tire will likely out-handle a generic snow tire, you've opted for the performance snow. You should see a gain in cold weather cornering traction with the WS3Ds along the lines I stated earlier (3-5+MPH). Obviously, in snowy conditions, you're not really going to be pushing the limits, but it will certainly have better snow traction than whatever A/S tire you would choose to throw at it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I don't see how a cop could ever enforce a law requiring TPMS sensors. Are they going to pull the tires off the rim to see if you have sensors? There's no other way to tell...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading