Winter tires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So last night it finally decided to snow up here, it didnt stick around though. Its supposed to warm up ...

Winter tires

So last night it finally decided to snow up here, it didnt stick around though. Its supposed to warm up a bit later this week (40's days, 20's nights). I'm trying to decide if its time to put the snow tires on or wait a bit longer.

How bad is it to drive around on my snow tires when its "warm" out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Most summer tires provide best performance at about 50 degrees and above. If where you are is going to stay 40 or below it might be right on the fence for putting on the snow tires. Depending on what you define "warm" as, the snow tires will obviously have a little more wear than they would in cold temps. I'm personally sticking it out on my OEM summers until it's consistently 35 or lower here...or if a large storm is on it's way. Whichever comes first.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Re: Winter tires

It looks like it'll be in the mid 40's during the day around these parts for a bit, so I guess we're on the cusp.

Will highway driving cause premature wear due to heating as well?

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree that you're getting close, I'd wait till you're in the 35-40 degree range during the day, or a big storm is eminent like I sad before.

It's just an unfortunate fact that winter tires have softer rubber so they are going to wear. I wouldn't say that highway driving is going to wear them prematurely as long as it's cold. It will accelerate wear if you drive spirited like you would on summer tires, taking hard corners and such.

I will say, however that I've had the same Dunlop WinterSports for the last 4 or 5 winters and have been impressed with the wear. Especially considering that last year we had some unusually warm weather in the fall-winter. I have a set of Blizzaks in the basement I thought for sure I'd have to put on last year but since there wasn't any snow I just kept running the WinterSports which are more like All-Seasons now from wear, lol.

At the end of the day, the question to ask is whether you'd want to be caught off guard by a snow storm on summer tires or appropriately equipped with winter tires. With my first WRX I had in 2004 I didn't heed that warning and it scared the hell out of me not being able to stop at the bottom of an exit ramp or decline. Never again.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Hey guys: how do some of the best winter tires handle, perform, and brake on 'warm', dry surfaces?

-MACE-

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Hey guys: how do some of the best winter tires handle, perform, and brake on 'warm', dry surfaces?

-MACE-
    Significantly worse than tires made for warm, dry surfaces if you're looking for that kind of performance. Winter tires are job-specific for performance in snow. In other words, don't expect them to act like summer tires.
    My current average MPG

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post

-MACE-
    In temps above 50 degrees winter tires tend to wear faster reducing their life span.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

It snowed here last week and we got about 4 inches, I still had my summer tires on and it was horrendous. I couldnt brake or turn without drifting everywhere. I immiedietly ordered winter tires from that expierence because it was not safe at all. I was at the mercy of the snow. With that said I still havent put on the winters because its been 50 degrees in the days since then but imwatching the weather pretty intently to be ready. Dont get caught off guard its dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstar4l View Post
    It snowed here last week and we got about 4 inches, I still had my summer tires on and it was horrendous. I couldnt brake or turn without drifting everywhere. I immiedietly ordered winter tires from that expierence because it was not safe at all. I was at the mercy of the snow. With that said I still havent put on the winters because its been 50 degrees in the days since then but imwatching the weather pretty intently to be ready. Dont get caught off guard its dangerous.

This is what I'm worried about, that it'll snow and I'll be SOL. I know it's a fine line between being safe and wearing out my winter rubber. I'll keep my eyes on the forecast.

Thanks.

Tire rack has a good resource for tire comparison across winter/summer/AS found here Tire Research : Tire Test Results

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and about to get a '13 wrx. I live in Colorado and travel in the mountains on a regular basis so snow tires are a necessity. I have 205/55R16 Blizzaks and just need rims. The local Discount Tire has some Momo Win Pro's that have a 38mm offset. Do you think these wheels will be ok on the new car? No rubbing? Any help or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just picked up a '13 today and live in norther north dakota.. I need winter tires bad right now.. whats the best kind? Tirerack has a few options, Performance snow, studdless ice-snow, and studdable ice-snow..

Which is the best kind to choose? Its glare ice out there right now.. had to be really careful with those summers on...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler
    Just picked up a '13 today and live in norther north dakota.. I need winter tires bad right now.. whats the best kind? Tirerack has a few options, Performance snow, studdless ice-snow, and studdable ice-snow..

Which is the best kind to choose? Its glare ice out there right now.. had to be really careful with those summers on...
    There is no "best" option. You really need to weigh the pros/cons of each kind of tire.

Outlining the difference between Performance / Studless snows:
    https://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=50

Studded tires will accentuate the benefits/drawbacks studless tires have when compared to performance winters.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Blizzak tires. I feel that the premium you pay is not worth what you get, because after a few seasons, they tend to suck (I've been through a bunch of sets).

My $.02 on the various options...
    Performance Winter: Dunlop WinterSport 3D
    Budget winter: General Altimax Arctic (Studless or Studded)
    High-end winter: Nokian Hakkapeliitta (R for studless, 7 for studded)
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-08-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

If your daytime highs are below 50F .. put on the winter tires. You're not going to see much for accelerated wear until you get into ambient temps of 75*+
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Thanks for the info.. It was -2f this morning. Those sumer tires dont grip anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast