Broken Subframe Bolt....Do I need to fix this?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Broken Subframe Bolt....Do I need to fix this? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, I am in the middle of doing the Aluminum Conrol arm upgrade on my 2002 wrx sedan. When ...

Broken Subframe Bolt....Do I need to fix this?

Hey Guys,
    I am in the middle of doing the Aluminum Conrol arm upgrade on my 2002 wrx sedan. When I was removing the subframe I noticed that one of the bolts was broken off. I have tried everything to get it out so I can put in a new one, but am having no luck. I broke of an easy out inside of it so now I am 100% screwed. What I am wondering is, Will anything be affected if just one subframe bolt is missing? I have all the other ones. It is not one of the front bolts or end bolts...its along the passenger side in the middle. Let me add that this vehicle is a daily driver, no track use or anything crazy, tho I do like to drive fast on windy roads
    Last edited by snarpalous; 11-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Even if it doesn't critically matter, if it were me, I would know its missing and it would grate on me after while...and I'd bite the bullet and have a pro fix it right.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Yes. You need to fix that.

Any shop can extract the broken part. Or you can buy a bolt extraction kit like this. Drill out the bolt, then extract it.

Thanks for the input guys. I tried the bolt extractor (I called it "easy out". Same thing), which broke inside the bolt. They are extremely hard and impossible to drill out. But it was nagging me and didn't want a bolt missing so after some research I seder dremel bits. After a ton of drilling and about 7 bits... This got it out! So now I'm all good and avoided having to pay a pro to do it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.