2013 WRX-Just replaced the Stock Summer Tires Today with UHP All Season From Mavis - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX-Just replaced the Stock Summer Tires Today with UHP All Season From Mavis within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by pmacey would like to see some posts of real life stories on how a UHP All Season ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    would like to see some posts of real life stories on how a UHP All Season Tire has let you down, hopefully no hyper BS you read on the Internet!

BTW, don't you all think its a oxymoron that a AWD car needs snow tires in the Winter and Summer tires in the summer -vs- All Season Performance tires all year round? Just asking.

-Mace-
    All season tires feel like mush in the summer compared to a higher quality summer performance tire. You'll also lengthen your stopping distance.

All season tires don't grip as well in the snow as a winter tire. Nor forward or reverse.

Performance all season tires don't compare to performance summers in the slightest sense.

I don't understand how having dedicated seasonal wheel/tire setups on an AWD car would be an oxymoron. AWD refers to a driveline... power is delivered to all four wheels. Tire demand relates to the traction that wheel will put down in a given situation... My point being that a driveline does not dictate what type of tires you need on your vehicle. Having four wheels supply power to the ground does not give anybody an excuse to run less than adequate tires. You may have twice the chance of getting started, but it will not help you stop any faster. Nor will it help maintain traction through corners much.

For what its worth, putting "performance" in front of "all seasons" is more of an oxymoron than your example.

Nobody said that you HAVE to run dedicated winter/snows. Subaru put performance summers on it to make the car more enjoyable to drive most of the year (or all of the year in some regions). You can run whatever your heart desires, provided your hood doesn't end up in the back of my car. It's not internet jargon (or hyper BS), its an easy way to have the best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions...keep them coming.

Question: What year did Subaru first put Summer Performance tires on our WRX, ditching the UHP All Season Tires?

-MACE-

PMACEY,
    I just purchased the same car as yours tonight,2013 WR Blue Sedan premium!
    I love that color.

Congrats chipset35!
    Have you used the heated seats yet?

Good luck with your World Rally Blue WRX!

I won't be receiving the car for another week or two as i bought it from the largest Subaru dealer in the US and the World, and they are several states away in Colorado. Arranging the shipping takes longer than the actual time to transport it according to the dealer.

Colorado Springs Subaru | Heuberger Motors - Denver Subaru | Used Car Dealers, Subaru Parts, Subaru Service & Financing

God...I love that WR Blue color!

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Calvinball...never owned a set of Winter Snow Tires.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've always had all seasons on my cars and felt they did fine in the snow. When I bought this car, though, I put aside extra money to get a separate set of wheels/tires for the winter, here was my reasoning:

- I already have summer tires on the car from the factory, that can't be helped.
    - I don't want to drive on them in the winter, too many horror stories read on here and other forums.
    - While I always had all seasons and did fine in the snow, since I already have summers why not just get winters? If I'm going to own two sets of wheels/tires, I might as well give the car the best performance I can in the two extremes I see in my area. I did "fine" with all seasons, but from all accounts I've read, winter tires will do better than fine. "Fine" still meant there were tractionless moments and braking issues. I don't think they will vanish, but I'm betting that with tires specifically designed to winter weather they will be reduced quite a bit.
    - I got the steel wheels with winter tires with a few thousand miles on them for about the same price as it would have cost me to just get a set of good all season tires...without any wheels. And I am not about to spend the money twice a year to swap tires on the same wheels.
    - Finally, two sets of wheels/tires means that I'm going to get more time out of both, since I will not be using them for part of the year. So that to me is going to do a good enough job of offsetting any extra cost from having two sets.

Just my two cents from someone else who always used all seasons and thought they were decent. I'm hoping/expecting to be pleasantly surprised once I see the real winter around here.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Good Morning to the WRX world.

Let it get cold, let it rain, let it snow (see below)

Sunny and about 40 degrees this morning here in Northern Westchester, NY

Went out for a spirited run in my new 2013 World Rally Blue WRX Premium Sedan with 458 miles and maybe 75 miles on the new Conti UHP All Season Extreme DWS tires

Took some local roads for the first time and pushed my Blue Angel as much as I felt comfortable, due to the miles....but did take corners and accelerate out of the apexs to straight-a-ways fairly hard...and the Contis performed and handled quite well, providing a fun and decent driving experience.

Now want to see how they handle in wet and snowy conditions...especially on dirt roads, report to follow

-MACE-

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercookie
    Edited
    This is his thread, and if he chooses to write about his experiences with his newly-purchased snow tires, he's welcome to do so. Last I checked, you weren't a staff member, and nothing he's doing is breaking the rules. You, however, are trolling, which is against the rules, and can stop now...
    Last edited by zax; 11-26-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Time for a clean-up! Let's keep this thread on track peeps! No hyper bs!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I bought a set of snow wheels and tires for my WRX, and swap them each season with my summers. Here's why:

On my older cars, which always had all-seasons and FWD, I could navigate well-enough in light or packed snow. I never hit anything or spun out anyway.

However, many mountain passes in Oregon REQUIRE chains or snow tires in the winter months. State troopers set up checkpoints for all vehicles, and will not let you pass unless you have chains or this logo on your tires:

Before my WRX, I just put a pair of chains on the front tires, drove over the pass, and took them off at the bottom. It was a pain, and I usually ended up cold and dirty by the end of it, but it got me over.

However, with the symmetrical AWD system, chains are generally a no-no. Yes, the manual DOES say you can use them on the front wheels at low speeds (at least for my 2003 WRX), and there are lots of other threads arguing this one way or another (let's not get into that here), but I decided I never wanted them on my WRX. This left me with no option to get over passes except buy a set of winters.

In summary, the real reason I bought winter wheels/tires at first was simply for compliance so I would be allowed to drive over the mountains, but after using them for a couple seasons now, the traction benefits alone have sold me for life on snow tires.

FWIW, I have Yokohama Ice Guard Studless tires. They aren't really a performance winter tire, but have superb traction in snow up to the bottom lip of the car. I'm confident the car would high-center itself before the tires lost traction in deep snow.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I always drove on all-seasons before I got my WRX. No problems. I bought a set of Hankook iPike winter tires and wheels for the WRX. On a snowy morning, I went around a corner just a little bit faster than I would have with all-seasons, and hit a curb with the back end. The front end did what I wanted it to, but the back end slid out and I broke a wheel. Luckily no suspension damage, as it made a loud bang. Part of the problem is that with TPMS I have to keep like 35psi in the tires, or the TPMS light comes on. I would like to run 20-25psi on those snowy, icy roads. In conclusion, I haven't found a good solution yet, despite spending lots and lots of $$$.

I am now running on all season tires. I don't and won't be driving my car at it's uttermost limits. I enjoy the car and occasionally wind it out. Only if you are driving your car at it's limits do I believe season specific tires would be worth the hassle. There is no right or wrong here. Everyone knows their situation better than casual posters who don't know all the variables involved. I also don't need to drive long distances daily which factors in my personal choice.

ok so I bought my plasma blue wrx premium in October and love it!! (My first subie!!) My issue with the tires is that the pick up everything and sandblast my car, there are already little chips in the paint around the wheel well and under the rockers and I only have 2000 miles on the car. Any one else have this issue??

Help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedr View Post
    ok so I bought my plasma blue wrx premium in October and love it!! (My first subie!!) My issue with the tires is that the pick up everything and sandblast my car, there are already little chips in the paint around the wheel well and under the rockers and I only have 2000 miles on the car. Any one else have this issue??

Help!
    Summer tires are soft. They tend to pick up stuff.

This is an extreme example of a soft tire from an F1 car. But you get the idea.

The only way to prevent this is either clear bra the vulnerable areas or get a set of mudflaps.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I also wish Subaru would at least offer all season tires as a no cost option. I don't drive my car at it's limits. I'm just an average Joe who enjoys a fun car. I swapped out the summer tires for all season tires on my 2013 WRX. I live in Ohio. A choice would be a good thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast