'12 WRX - intermittent grinding noise drivers side brake?

This is a discussion on '12 WRX - intermittent grinding noise drivers side brake? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My wrx just rolled over 10k miles and I noticed this morning whike driving to work a little clunk..and now ...

'12 WRX - intermittent grinding noise drivers side brake?

My wrx just rolled over 10k miles and I noticed this morning whike driving to work a little clunk..and now whether I'm accelerating, or turning, or just maintaining a speed I hear a grinding noise on the drivers side front.

From what I've searched this was a problem with older wrxs and the dust shield rubbing the rotor, but haven't heard of this issue on the new ones.

I've not driven on any unusually sandy or crappy roads...so do not think its a rock or anything caught.

Anybody else have a issue similar?

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: '12 WRX - intermittent grinding noise drivers side brake?

Your under warranty who cares bring it in man! Let them deal with it don't sweat it on forums

-sent from my galaxy s3
    PERRIN TMIC (black) / PERRIN CAI (red) / PERRIN Radiator Shroud (red)
    Cobb Accessport / Invidia Q300 Catback / Invidia DP / SPT Boost Gauge
    Pioneer 7" Nav w/ backup camera / SPT STS / Red Hella's / Kartboy Bushing
    6K lowbeams 6K fogs 6k DRL / Grimmspeed Plate Relocation / Cobb Heat Shield
    Cobb Red Shift Knob / Rally Armor Mud Flaps / 08 STi center console swap

Agreed. The hard part is my dealer Is 2 hours away. And the only day I can go is Saturday, by the time I get there they are closed...just seeing if there was a quick fix. Thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoebeusFenix View Post
    Agreed. The hard part is my dealer Is 2 hours away. And the only day I can go is Saturday, by the time I get there they are closed...just seeing if there was a quick fix. Thanks though!

Wake up earlier?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I'd love to. But I own a gym. And I'm open 5am-8pm 6 days a week..ill figure it out. Thanks.

Did you ever figure out the problem? My '12 WRX has 15k miles.on it and I'm hearing a noise similar top yours on the passenger side. It's like a grinding noise and it gets louder as I slow down. I suspect something is rubbing against the rotor. Please let me know. -- JA

Yes sir. There is a dust shield behind the rotor, on the bottom side there is a area that comes out away from the disk. A little pebble had fallen in there and wedged its way in. STUPID little problem. Good luck!

Try going around the dust shield and pushing it away from the rotor gently. If there is a rock, it will fall down.

Sounds good man.. Thanks for the help! Did you DIY or did the dealer do it under warranty?

I just did it myself. Literally just takes a few seconds. If that doesnt do it, I'd take it in.

I am now having this problem. It happened once before for a few miles but I heard the PING in the wheel well, so it was a rock. It's back today. Hoping it's just a rock wedged in there again.

edit: took it on the highway for a hot minute and I guess it rocked loose. That **** was LOUD when it was screeching.
    Last edited by AFP520; 05-03-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    '14 SWP STI