$2,000 dollar budget - bang for the buck suspension mods

This is a discussion on

,000 dollar budget - bang for the buck suspension mods within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello I wanted to get an opinion from the active users here at clubWRX. I have a
,000 dollar limit ...

Hello I wanted to get an opinion from the active users here at clubWRX.

I have a $2,000 dollar limit for my 2013 5 Door WRX can you help me budget some things out?

I am interested in improving my cars handling and giving it a meaner stance. What would be the best bang for the buck suspension setup with my $2,000 dollar limit?

Sways, endlinks, coils?
    Sways, endlinks, struts and springs?

What would you recommend? My exceptions are ultimate performance- eff the ride comfort-ability.

Racecomp Engineering Sway Bar Kit Front Adjustable 25.5mm / Rear Adjustable 25.5mm Subaru STI 2008-2013 / WRX 2011-2013 / Forester XT 2009-2012 at RallySportDirect.com
    Cost: $438

Kartboy Front and Rear Endlink Combo Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2013 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com
    Cost: $210

This leaves me with $1,350 to spend on coils or strut spring setup.

Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: $2,000 dollar budget - bang for the buck suspension mods

What tires are on the car? What will the car be used for: DD, DD+Auto-X, etc.?

Suspension Tuning 101:
    Tires
    Alignment
    Mods

Sways should be matched to your springs/dampers. Personally, I like Whiteline sways, and am most familiar with them. Adjustable 24 F / 22 R is a good setup for stock springs and dampers, and can be bumped up to 26 F / 24 R if needed when the springs/dampers are replaced.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I think I am going to go with the KW Variant 1 Coil-Over for $1,350. That concludes my suspension setup.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would strongly recommend tires before jumping immediately to coilovers. Those springs/struts are brand new, and your tires are the limiting factor, not the suspension hardware. This is especially true once you add in the swaybars/endlinks (which are good choices as well). Depending on your location, pick up a set of high performance summers for your stock wheels, then add winter wheels and tires if you need them. Sell your stock tires to recoup some cost. Get a performance alignment while the tires are swapped.

With those out of the way, you can evaluate the car's handling, and build off this solid foundation if you choose to. If you leap immediately to properly set up coilovers, it will be obvious your tires are holding you back, and you'll probably want new ones then anyway. You might as well save yourself the cost and effort now.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

So you would recommend doing the swaybar/endlink upgrade along with a high performance tire before coils? I just truly want to be able to drop her down to give a more aggressive stance which is what makes me want to pull the trigger on the coils.

Quote Originally Posted by scott.pa.wrx.2013 View Post
    I think I am going to go with the KW Variant 1 Coil-Over for $1,350. That concludes my suspension setup.
    Don't the new WRXs already come with good Dunlop summer tires?

KWs are great coilovers...but I cannot believe you are finding them for that cheap. They usually go for no cheaper than $1500...and average for $1700...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scott.pa.wrx.2013 View Post
    So you would recommend doing the swaybar/endlink upgrade along with a high performance tire before coils? I just truly want to be able to drop her down to give a more aggressive stance which is what makes me want to pull the trigger on the coils.
    You asked for ultimate performance. This puts you on the path to that. If "stance" is your priority, then you need to define that, but focusing on "stance" will not result in better handling. That said, there are those who have focused first on performance, and a pleasing "stance" has resulted AFTER the proper suspension adjustments for superior handling.

Basically, what is your real goal? If you want to slam the car to the ground, fine, but expect your handling to be severely compromised. If you want ultimate handling, then great, and you just might be happy with how the cars ends up looking afterwards.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    You still haven't answered my two questions from earlier.

Throwing money at mods before addressing the tires and alignment is like wiping before you pewp...

The '09+ come with summer tires, but they're not great, and can benefit from being replaced right off the showroom floor.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm not an expert to give advice on first modes...sorry..!
    But if you decide on sways and endlinks...I had very good experience for last 5k miles on Rallitek and links.
    (I have heard great thinks about KB too). $70.00 a pair, no noises rattles..

I have 24f/22R Whilines Sway Bars..

2012 SWP WRX hatch...

Where did you find the KW Variant 1 for only $1,350? And since you said you're going for ultimate performance, the Variant 1 is not it. They're better than stock, but you need to go up to a Variant 3 to get to their real performance stuff. KW makes very good quality stuff so they're a good name to go with. They're getting a bigger and bigger following in the Porsche world too, though for real performance the Variant 3 is once again the way to go.

The Whiteline 24/22 front/rear setup (adjustable not fixed) is also a great way to go for sways.

The OEM tires as others have said aren't all that great, though I wouldn't call them terrible either. Personally I'd run with those until they wear out before upgrading unless you have $1000 burning a hole in your pocket to get a new set of tires. You could also advertise them for sale locally and maybe find somebody to take them off your hands for $500 and put that towards new tires so you could get some sooner.

Since you're focused on performance, you really should upgrade your brake pads too. You really only need the front pads to start to get a serious upgrade. Some Ferodos, Hawks, or other street/track combo pads would definitely be a great upgrade to match with your new suspension.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

With $1,350 left, I would suggest RCE Yellows with Konis. Thats what I have on my '11 and its awesome! The konis are 1 way adjustable so you have some freedom to tune stiffness. You can get the two paired for around $1k then use the remaining 350 for steering rack bushings, diff inserts, rear subframe inserts...and still have some money left for a good alignment.