My winter tire set up
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on My winter tire set up within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got my winter set up from tire rack. I bought 16x6.5" steel wheels in 5x100 lug set. I ...

My winter tire set up

I just got my winter set up from tire rack. I bought 16x6.5" steel wheels in 5x100 lug set. I got Firestone Winterforce FS 215/55/16 tires. I attached a pic.

The question I have is this: Should I get hubcaps or leave them open to the elements? The only thing I worry about is that the axle nut is exposed to the elements without the hubcaps.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3462.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    i have the steelies from tire rack like yours. i think your car looks pretty mean the way it is. i'd leave it.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

HA! I was looking in to a winter set-up as well and needed advice. Thanks for the post! How much for everything from tire rack?

Just priced your set-up on tire rack. The total came to $656.00

did you get the TPMS?

Actually looks good! You should enjoy that setup for the winter and have no problems getting around.

See if you can pop the center caps out of your stock wheels and throw them in there? Otherwise Google centercaps and see if you can find some for cheap.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by yanksball14 View Post
    did you get the TPMS?
    No. I thought I would just transfer them. I did not order that set yet, I only did a pricing to see the total.

You'll definitely be happy to have dedicated winter and summer setups for your car!

Next time around I'd definitely go with the General Altimax over those Firestones though. Overall the Generals are a superior tire in every regard and are basically the same exact price.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I thought about the general tires, but went with the firestone ones because they had a higher speed rating. The reviews of the tires said that the generals weren't all that great at highway speeds and somewhat loose on wet roads. So, I went with Firestone. As of now the firestones seem pretty good. A bit more noisy than the stock tires, but they seem fine for the way I drive.

The center caps from the stock wheels don't fit properly on the steelies. The center hole on the stock alloys seem to sit out further from the axle nut and so there's clearance. The steelies seem to set down closer to the axle nut. I'll look to see if there are any center caps around on the net.

As for TPMS I checked the tirerack box which said I plan on having my local professional installer place TPMS on the wheels. I'll leave it at that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.