Snow tire sound w/o the tires

This is a discussion on Snow tire sound w/o the tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got a 2002 WRX Wagon with 162,750 miles. About the only thing in the way of mods is a ...

Snow tire sound w/o the tires

I've got a 2002 WRX Wagon with 162,750 miles. About the only thing in the way of mods is a fairly new dual core aluminum radiator. It was never raced, and I gave it to my wife when we got married (I drive the truck). She drives it even easier than I did.

I used it to make a quick run to the store this evening and noticed a sound like the car had snow tires as I would get up to about 30 mph. It didn't get significantly worse at speeds up to 60, though the pitch did increase some. I check the tires to see if there was something goofy with the tread, but found nothing. It is late enough that I didn't get underneath, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any insights. There have been answers to a bunch of questions over the years, so thank you all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Could be bad tires.. or it could be bad bearings. I've had both happen and they sounded similar.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Could be bad tires.. or it could be bad bearings. I've had both happen and they sounded similar.
    It turns out it was both. Replaced the tires, and the sound diminished, but not completely gone. Used the insights gained from various blog posts on the topic, and raised the car to check the bearing. Didn't find any wiggle in the wheel so thought I was good except for the torn steering boot. Got that replaced, and the front end aligned last Monday am before heading back to the office (2 miles). By the time I parked, the bearing were smoldering hot. Got it home, but it's been parked while I try to figure out for certain the parts for replacement, and order (rained nasty this weekend, so wasn't getting done til later when it dries). Hopefully, all the parts (& sunshine) are here next weekend. It's work, but still not bad for 165k, and cheaper than car payments.