Suspension Set-up Advice...05 WRX Wagon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Suspension Set-up Advice...05 WRX Wagon within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking into a few different suspension set-ups for my wagon and wanted to see what kinda response I'd get from ...

Looking into a few different suspension set-ups for my wagon and wanted to see what kinda response I'd get from over here...

I DD my wagon but that may change down the road. I am currently Stage 3 as far as engine mods (~300whp) and I feel my suspension is a bit lacking. I have Perrin 25mm Sways, Stout Mounts and Kartboy endlinks waiting for spring as well...

I've been back and forth between coilovers and a spring/strut combo for some time now...

If I go with a strut assembly I'm considering:

- KYB AGX Struts
    - Koni Inserts
    - D Specs (Used)

I will be going with GroupN Top hats and eccentric camber bolts front and rear if I go this route.

For a spring...I like the stance of TEIN but have not met too many that are happy with the ride in either the H Or S Techs...Eibach I hear ride nice but have uneven ride height. I like what i hear and see from RCE but I'm not sure they will be as low as I'd like to be...I may look into Swift as well...

If I go coils:

- BC BR w/ Swift Spring Upgrade
    - Eibach Sport
    - ST's
    - H&R

Ill need camber plates with this route so that adds some additional expense...

I've also considered just saving for an AST set-up but ill mostly be daily driving this with a random track day here and there...though I live in MI and these will likely see salt so I'm a bit reluctant to spend more than 2K on a strut assembly...

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If the only D-Specs you can afford are used, pass. They are a wear item.

You choose your struts based on the springs you plan to use. Of the three you listed, I would probably go the Koni Insert route, if it were my car.

From a performance standpoint, you can't beat RCE or the Swift Spec-R springs. For a bit milder spring rates, Epic, SPT Pinks, Swift Sports, or STI takeoffs. RCE and Swift are the only two companies I know of that make wagon-specific springs. Figure how aggressive you want of a spring rate, then decide based on drop.

Group-N tophats are a good buy, but upgrade the front to the Whiteline Com-C mounts (if that means sacrificing the rear for a regular OE one, it's worth it).

The only coilovers of the ones you mentioned I'd bother considering would be the STs. Other cost-effective coils you could look at would be Feal.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

^^ Would you go with ST over AST as well? I've heard amazing things about them and next to nothing about ST.

How would you rate PSS9's in with what I'm looking at?

In reference to Koni inserts I've noticed that most Spring set-ups appear a bit lower as far as stance is concerned. My ideal ride height would be around 2" under stock ride height or about as low as I can be without losing handling. I'd also prefer a straight forward alignment and I'm running 18x8.5" wheels with 225/40's.

Ill look more into the Swift Springs. My ideal would be new D Specs w/ RCE's but i believe going that route would put me out of my ideal cost, especially if I upgrade to comp c top hats...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by careercadaver
    ^^ Would you go with ST over AST as well? I've heard amazing things about them and next to nothing about ST.
    No. I'd choose AST over ST. However, when you factor in a budget, ST isn't a bad option.

Turn-in Concepts sells ST. That says that for a budget option, they're decent. TiC doesn't sell junk.

How would you rate PSS9's in with what I'm looking at?
    Meh

In reference to Koni inserts I've noticed that most Spring set-ups appear a bit lower as far as stance is concerned. My ideal ride height would be around 2" under stock ride height or about as low as I can be without losing handling. I'd also prefer a straight forward alignment and I'm running 18x8.5" wheels with 225/40's.
    2" isn't feasible. You're going to be limited to 1-1.5" F / R for it not to hurt handling.

Ill look more into the Swift Springs. My ideal would be new D Specs w/ RCE's but i believe going that route would put me out of my ideal cost, especially if I upgrade to comp c top hats...
    Unless you're buying the D-Specs new, skip. For the cost of new, you can buy Koni Inserts and have $$ left over. I no longer recommend the Tokicos, for that reason.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

What's your impression of the ground control set-up? I hear good and bad. Not really a big fan of the "build your own coilover idea" but it seems like it may be worth looking at if I went the Koni route...

Or, I assume I am a bit more limited on height with the wagon due to the fact that I have a shorter base/lower control arm and a longer strut and different spring rates as compared to a sedan. Could I get a little lower by swapping everything for sedan/STI parts?

I am extremely happy with my setup around town (and on the track).

'02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C front strut mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Konis are the only way to go on a wagon or you will lose all of your front camber with the sedan style front struts (D-spec, AGX etc. etc.). Get the COM-C and skip the rear top hats if necessary. The RCE yellow springs are a substantial drop (their specs compare to STi ride height, which is already 10mm lower IIRC). I do not notice a saggy but with the RCE sedan black springs. Consider rear camber bolts for the alignment (-1.5 to -1.8 front, -1 rear camber). You may get some uneven tire wear in the front at -1.8 though. The Com C make it easy to hit those numbers in the front with extra caster too.
    Last edited by mycologist; 11-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thanks for the advice all around! It's very much appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    I am extremely happy with my setup around town (and on the track).

'02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C front strut mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Would you mind posting some pics of your height and if you could also include wheel and tire specs that would be awesome of you.

I still haven't eliminated coilovers but if I run a spring/strut combo it will be Koni's and likely RCE...

I'm at the point of deciding if eliminating wheel gap is worth the loss in handling. I know this is quite contrary to how I'm hearing you guys set up your cars I guess I'm just used to a more aggressive stance than what's possible with my Subie.

I guess I'm looking to be a little closer to how I've had precious cars.

...I've just always used coils to get there...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by careercadaver View Post
    Thanks for the advice all around! It's very much appreciated!!

Would you mind posting some pics of your height and if you could also include wheel and tire specs that would be awesome of you.

I still haven't eliminated coilovers but if I run a spring/strut combo it will be Koni's and likely RCE...

I'm at the point of deciding if eliminating wheel gap is worth the loss in handling. I know this is quite contrary to how I'm hearing you guys set up your cars I guess I'm just used to a more aggressive stance than what's possible with my Subie.
    I don't know if you can find the wagon springs anymore. Worth looking though. These are the regular guy black RCE (sedan). Basically the same as the wagon springs but slightly more rear drop (if any). The yellows would be even lower. 17x7" wheels 224/45 tires. Com C front '04 rear tophats, konis in stock struts.

1.25"/1.0" F/R

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess I'm looking to be a little closer to how I've had precious cars.

...I've just always used coils to get there...
    Whiteline 04+ Subaru WRX/STI Roll-Center & Bump-Steer Kit (KCA313)

^^ I have picked up the Whiteline RCK. From what I understand it is a necessity when lowering the wagon.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ I have picked up the Whiteline RCK. From what I understand it is a necessity when lowering the wagon.
    I think I'll do one soon myself.

here is someone else's on RCE yellow's (more drop) probably with the rear 1/4" spacers.

Importimageracing says they can get the RCE Wagon Specific Yellows. Just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I think I'll do one soon myself.

here is someone else's on RCE yellow's (more drop) probably with the rear 1/4" spacers.

Are you assuming these are Sedan Springs I take it?

What's the general impression of Fortune Auto? I don't hear them mentioned often...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast