New '11 STI - Winter is approaching asking for some advice.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New '11 STI - Winter is approaching asking for some advice. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone! I am new to the forums and a first time STI owner. Picked up a 2011 STI in ...

Hey everyone! I am new to the forums and a first time STI owner. Picked up a 2011 STI in the royal blue color or whatever it is. Absolutely loving every ride I take in that car and have not regretted it once. I live in southern Connecticut and winter is now approaching. Right now I got the stock tires on aftermarket rims and the stock rims are off to the side. I want to get some winter tires unless you guys think they are not needed for a good price. I am probably going to need new summer tires sometime in late spring/summer. I am just trying to think of the best economical decision of buying tires. What do you guys think is a good plan?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome to the forum Yes you most definitely need a set of winter tires or at least all seasons if you plan on driving your car at all this winter. Winter times are not just for snow, the summers will get kinda slick under 40/45*F. Im not sure with the STI and the brembos and i'm assuming you have 18 inch wheels on there now, but I know for my wrx I went down a size and got an older set of 16" wrx wheels for my winters. More tire and less money.

Can anyone chime in if some 17s will fit on there?

Also as a side note to your comment, its World Rally Blue
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    welcome to the forum Yes you most definitely need a set of winter tires or at least all seasons if you plan on driving your car at all this winter. Winter times are not just for snow, the summers will get kinda slick under 40/45*F. Im not sure with the STI and the brembos and i'm assuming you have 18 inch wheels on there now, but I know for my wrx I went down a size and got an older set of 16" wrx wheels for my winters. More tire and less money.

Can anyone chime in if some 17s will fit on there?

Also as a side note to your comment, its World Rally Blue
    Thank you and I forgot to mention even the aftermarket rims are 18s. Came with the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Like Cheeky Bastage said,you will need a set of winter tires. Going down a size is a good idea. Try tire rack to see what sizes fit & what tire options you have.

Once temp dips to the 40s(usually by Thanksgiving) it is a good idea to switch to winters,because the summers start to lose grip. Once it snows you will not be able to make it out of the house on summers,because they have zero grip. You will not be able to brake or control the car. So forget about trying out your luck.

Most of us run 2 sets of tires, summers & winters. A natural question would be about TPMS. The thing with Subarus is that the car will have to be taken to the dealer to reprogram the sensor after each switch over at the end of the season. So what many of us do is we don't have TPMS sensors on the winters. The light is on all Winter long.

And yes,it is sacrilege to dismiss the color code
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Oh no worries I was definitely going to have two sets. I just don't know what brand and model tire is best for where I live. There are long periods of 2-3 weeks of no snow but then there can be that nor'easter and get 2' of snow lol. I want to save money so should my OEM wheels be alright for the snow tires? Will it be cheaper any other way? Can you guys suggest some tires and sizes? Thanks for the quick responses, loving this forum already =)

i really like the bridgestone blizzak ws70 thats what i have but i know a lot of people on here like the general artimaxs

Okay I will look into both of those. My current stock tires are the Dunlop SP600 which are 245/40R18. What size would be best for the STI OEM rims? Can you fit anything smaller since I hear smaller is a little better for snow?

ive used the dunlop wintersports since ive gotten the car...i very much like them
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)

where in ct do you live? I just ordered my car and I've heard nothing but good things about General Altimax winter tires. I mean, sure there are more expensive tires that may perform better, but i feel like these are guna be the best bang for the buck. So once I get my '13 hatch in I'm throwing a set of these on it.

Just run the stock size tires for your winters on the OEM rims. You can save a couple of bucks by going down to a 235 but it won't be much. You don't get any benefits by running a smaller size.

You should search on here for winter tire threads since there are a million of them and then come back and post any remaining questions.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I cant think of a few benefits of a smaller size.

1. cost
    2. running a smaller diameter wheel will give you a higher profile which will be a lot more forgiving on rough roads, especially once those potholes show up
    3. the smaller wheels I have are also skinnier which is able to cut through the snow better than a wider wheel which will just plow
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

I really researched the Nankang Sv-1 snow tires. And everyone that has posted about them state they are a great tire for the money. You can get a set for $500. I've even seen post where ppl say they perform just as well as blizzaks that they've previously had. I ordered a set and will give the low down of what I think of them once I get to try them out. But I can guarantee you that for $500 they'll outperform any all season tire in the snow.

Thanks for the answers guys and yes I looked up many threads on snow tires but I also just wanted to finally join the community so why not just ask lol. Anybody else have any reviews on nakang sv-1 tires?

Forgot to mention I am not going to race or anything in the winter. In fact, I don't race at all I just like to open it up on the highway once and a while. To me this is just a daily driver. That is why I am wondering is it worth it to blow 800-50 on Blizzaks or 550-600 on a cheaper tire like nakangs.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Hey there - just joined the forum, hope you all are well!

I just bought a 2012 WRX world rally blue (love it) after being a Jeep driver for 20 years.
    Today the Nor'Easter hit - I tried to get snow tyres on the subie at lunch but dealer didn't have - ordered dunlop snow performance and can have them on tomorrow.

I am here to tell you that - well - you can drive a WRX in ice, snow and slush but it's a bit hair raising. It actually will go up a steep hill (and down one) in a low gear just fine IF there is no traffic.

If you are crawling - you will spin - although the traction control does work nicely - I'm from the 'before time' when you had to turn into the direction of the skid - now you can just steer the car.

I had the fun experience of standing still on a very steep hill and just started sliding down backwards while on the brake. I turned the wheel and pulled up the handbrake - and the car stopped. I used 'feathered' with the handbrake and got the car going uphill again when I could go (total bumper to bumper traffic because these EEJITS do NOT know how to drive in winter weather arrgh!) The eejit behind me figured out it wasn't good to ride my arse after that - and lucky I knew what to do too as the eejit was in a mercedes and would have bitched about being hit (I didn't want my Godzilla to get hurt!)

Tomorrow storm should be over so can't wait to get those performance snows at lunch.

All things considered - car drove like a bomb - I like it - lots. There was a poor dude (I presume) crawling on the Palisades in his 550hp mustang - I guess he got caught without winter tyres - and that's rear wheel drive I think ...hope he got home safe.

Boy, long winded first post, but had to vent - great information on this site!

Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.