Deciding on UHP A/S tires for my WRX Wagon
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Deciding on UHP A/S tires for my WRX Wagon within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The rains have started, and I can no longer dither on a tire decision for my 2002 WRX wagon. I ...

Deciding on UHP A/S tires for my WRX Wagon

The rains have started, and I can no longer dither on a tire decision for my 2002 WRX wagon. I currently have P0 Neros M+S (205/55/16), which seem a little dodgy in the wet. The Potenza RE970AS has the highest rating on Tire Rack, but several negative comments give me pause. It occurred to me that I should probably be looking less at overall ratings (for all owners), and more at the comments/rating of Subaru owners. So, in the interest of further analysis paralysis:

1. Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position, $120/tire
    Pros: Great overall rating in all categories
    Cons: Several complaints about losing 3-4MPG (I can understand 1-2 MPGÖ)
    Loud thumping when hitting wash-board, potholes, etc.
    No Subaru owner gave these higher than an 8.5 score.

2. Continental ExtremeContact DWS, $112/tire
    Pros: Very good overall rating in all categories
    Several 10 and high-9 scores from Subaru owners
    Cons: LOTS of complaints about soft sidewalls/floaty feel

3. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, $112/tire (with current rebate Ė H rated version)
    Pros:Good overall rating in all categories
    Lots of 10 and high 9 scores from Subaru owners
    Cons: Not as good in snow as RE970s, but I only go to Tahoe twice a year

4. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, $136/tire (with current rebate)
    Pros: Good overall rating in all categories
    A few 10 and 9 scores from Subaru owners. Mostly 8s and lower.
    Really cool looking tread
    Cons: Doesnít seem much better than the Exalto in the overall ratings.
    A little more expensive than the other tires.
    Noisy?

I know itís best to have two sets of tires, but Iím too lazy/cheap to bother. Iím going to try focus on try to pick one of the above. Also, wet/dry is more important to me. I only get to the snow twice a year (Tahoe).

Any comments would be helpful (or add to my confusion )

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got the Potenza Pole Position tires a few months ago. They are pretty good I guess. So far I have no complaints. I don't watch my gas gauge so I have no idea if my MPG's went down. My car is noisy so I have no clue if these tires added extra noise. I can get the rears to break loose if I really push them. So far so good.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.