Time for the next Mod!

This is a discussion on Time for the next Mod! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I got a COBB AP a few days before my birthday which was October 10th, (AP was a gift) ...

Time for the next Mod!

So I got a COBB AP a few days before my birthday which was October 10th, (AP was a gift) then 2 days ago I used some birthday cash and ordered myself a nice set of weathertech window visors, hopefully those arrive soon. But I was thinking, maybe it's time I order some sway's to tighten up my handling a bit.

What I'm looking for :

-I just turned 18 so I don't mind a harsh ride (although I do take trips to upstate new york(2 1/2 hour ride), down the shore (hour and a half) and to Vermont (4-5 hours) This being said, i don't mind a decently harsh ride, but i don't want it to feel like i have no suspension and I'm feeling every little imperfection in the road.

-I want the car to 'lock' into a turn, The other day me and a buddy were going down this 'highway' type road near my town, which has some nice curves to it, and as I was coming around the curves I could completely feel the car body roll, I want it to be a little more stiff

***** - Not looking to spend alot of money, I just want something people can back up and give input on, but don't want some cheap crappy part.

Thanks for any input.

P.S. Idk how hard these are to install, I'd probably try and tackle it myself (I got race ramps to I can install them with the suspension under load, which i read is a must)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Time for the next Mod!

With sways, you got endlinks, too. Endlinks have bushings, so I'd buy them new. Sways can be bought used, since a little paint scuffing doesn't matter (if it bothers you, rattle can paint is cheap).

Solid sways are stiffer than hollow sways. I'm a fan of Whiteline. Size is dependent on spring rate. I like the 24 F / 22 R combo, because you can bump them up to 26 / 24 if you choose to upgrade springs, and not have to buy new bars.

Endlinks, I like Kartboy.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Opinion is surely appreciated sir.

Okay so I thought endlinks and sways are usually done together. Okay so looks like I will be getting endlinks at the same time as sways. And yes now that u mention buying used I'm deff. gunna see if I can find any used in the area that I can check out in person.

The 2 companies that ring a bell when it comes to these parts are kartboy and whiteline.

For right now I'm on stock springs so looks like I will do the 24 / 22 combo

EDIT:

- Are the stock sways hollow?

- Are solid sways gunna give me that 'FML this car has no suspension' feel or does that have to do with springs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Opinion is surely appreciated sir.

Okay so I thought endlinks and sways are usually done together. Okay so looks like I will be getting endlinks at the same time as sways. And yes now that u mention buying used I'm deff. gunna see if I can find any used in the area that I can check out in person.

The 2 companies that ring a bell when it comes to these parts are kartboy and whiteline.

For right now I'm on stock springs so looks like I will do the 24 / 22 combo

EDIT:

- Are the stock sways hollow?

- Are solid sways gunna give me that 'FML this car has no suspension' feel or does that have to do with springs?
    Not sure about the stockers.

I'm guessing the "FML this car has no suspension" feel you're talking about is when a car is super stiff and you feel everything in the road? If so, sways will do little to increase that. They'll help a lot with the body roll issue you mentioned, but don't increase ride harshness much at all. You are correct, that's more to do with springs/struts.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Time for the next Mod!

Sounds good. Now the true question is, to go stage 1+, then 2. Or do sways first then that?

if u want the car to "lock in" to a turn some things youll want are sticky summer tires, endlinks and sways, lowering springs/ new struts or coilovers, and an alignment from a shop who wont align your car with stock settings but custom settings for what you want

Time for the next Mod!

All input is much appreciated.

Over the past few days i did some research and now am under the assumption tht if i get a cobb intake and airbox, i can flash the stage 1 + map correct?

If so my plans are to order that and then do sways and springs before stage 2

Yes, the AP should have a stage 1 map designed for that intake.

I think this is a good path, from all accounts sways and springs really make a big difference.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"