Cheap on tires
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cheap on tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a friend that's told me I was crazy to spend 0 for all season tires on my sti. ...

Cheap on tires

I have a friend that's told me I was crazy to spend $900 for all season tires on my sti. I bought some extremecontact dws for the light snow around the area. Anyways, my bud was mocking me cause he only spent like $200 on his set of all seasons. He bought some no name brand tires. He has a 12' wrx.

Are no name brands really that good to trust in light snow vs say my dws?
    Current- 11 WRX STi Hatchback
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tires isnt the thing u want to cheap out on. let your friend run whatever he wants but 50$ a tire isnt something youd catch me putting on my car. id rather spend the extra money and get the better performance/saftey then possibly have a tire explode at highway speeds and cause a fatal accident.

If you're going to get all seasons, the contis consistently come up as favorites. There are some other good ones out there but yours are amongst the tops (anecdotally). You can also check out the various test articles on tire rack, they seem fairly thorough and scientific.

I would never want any tires that cost $50 each on my wrx.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Your friend is an idiot unless he has a sweet hook up.
    Does he also have a BOV/CAI?

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    lulz he bought that with the money he saved on good all seasons. and no CAI, short ram of course :P jkkk. and if he has a wrx he should be a member on here so we can tell him to buy safer tires!!

No he didn't get any killer deals on his tires. Both of us went down to the local tire shop and we bought our tires.

I don't think he's that big of an idiot to put a bov or CAI on his car, but I don't know anymore. He did spend money on cheapo tires.
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most STI tires are going to be more expensive due to the bigger wheels because of the brembo brakes. The WRX can nicely fit a 16" wheel which allows for much cheaper tires.

Now, I'll agree that $50 each is definitely going cheap, but I got my Firestone snow tires for 80 each and they're supposed to be pretty capable. If he's just getting something to run in the winter/cold and you don't get a lot of snow, AND he doesn't plan on driving hard in the winter, then I don't see any reason to get anything expensive. Summer tires, now that's a totally different story

You've made a good choice though, so don't feel bad. I'm sure yours will last longer!

I should tell him to join this forum and have you guys tell him he's a moron for being cheap and that I wasn't being swindled into spending 900 for tires.
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

Please, we're all curious on what tires he got.

Hell my 205/55/16(small, standard size) Goodyear Eagle GTs were $520 all around and those were the "cheap" all seasons. I attribute them for keeping my family safe when we went up a rainy, snowy, iced up mountain. When everyone was slipping bad, including SUVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most STI tires are going to be more expensive due to the bigger wheels because of the brembo brakes. The WRX can nicely fit a 16" wheel which allows for much cheaper tires.

Now, I'll agree that $50 each is definitely going cheap, but I got my Firestone snow tires for 80 each and they're supposed to be pretty capable. If he's just getting something to run in the winter/cold and you don't get a lot of snow, AND he doesn't plan on driving hard in the winter, then I don't see any reason to get anything expensive. Summer tires, now that's a totally different story

You've made a good choice though, so don't feel bad. I'm sure yours will last longer!
    I think he sold his oem tires. So those tires are his new all season tires.
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

Please, we're all curious on what tires he got.

Hell my 205/55/16(small, standard size) Goodyear Eagle GTs were $520 all around and those were the "cheap" all seasons. I attribute them for keeping my family safe when we went up a rainy, snowy, iced up mountain. When everyone was slipping bad, including SUVs.
    I know he bought some Chinese brand tires. I think they were ling ling or something along that name.
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandisher
    I know he bought some Chinese brand tires. I think they were ling ling or something along that name.
    Ling Long is a tire brand
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Brandisher View Post
    I think he sold his oem tires. So those tires are his new all season tires.
    Well that I do not agree with!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is no point in buying a high performance car for >$30K and then wasting a significant proportion of the car's potential for a major chunk of its total lifespan buy cheaping out on tires. Tires are the most important component for handling.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

lol Ling Long previously used tires with edge wear, feathering, and 3/32 inch tread left. What a deal

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.