Swift wagon springs still the best option for a DD in all weather climates?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Swift wagon springs still the best option for a DD in all weather climates? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Starting to notice how much wheel gap these cars have from the factory, and it's bothering me now. Did some ...

Swift wagon springs still the best option for a DD in all weather climates?

Starting to notice how much wheel gap these cars have from the factory, and it's bothering me now. Did some research and it seems like the Swift sports springs wagon (07 wrx wagon) seem like the best option for a daily driver, and in all weather climates. This still the case or any better options now? The threads I researched were from 07-08. Thanks guys.
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    2004 Acura TL - 6 Speed - Stock
    1998 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible - Modified
    Display of Speed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yup solid choice. RCE would be the other one.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Cool, thanks Scott.
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    Display of Speed

I Support ClubWRX
    Swift makes good springs, and would be a good choice. SPT Pinks would also be a worthwhile option.

While you're there, you may want to consider replacing the struts, since the assembly will be apart already. Since you're not going too aggressive with the springs, a set of GR2s would be ideal in your case. The only reason I advise you to do struts now is they are wear items, and will need to be replaced eventually. You may as well only do the install / alignment once.

Another "while you're there" part you may want to consider is Whiteline Com-C mounts for the front. This will allow you to add static amounts of camber/caster based on orientation. Picking up a set of camber bolts for the rear wouldn't be a bad idea, either. You can have quite a capable vehicle with a proper alignment, and since you have to do one anyway, may as well do it once.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-22-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

check out Epic springs too. thats what i have and some other members and im very happy with them

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh
    check out Epic springs too. thats what i have and some other members and im very happy with them
    My only complaint with Epic is that they will not release their spring rates. That said, they do not lower the car too much (~1" F / less rear), and wouldn't be a bad option to go with.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    I have seen these mention in my travels doing research as well. However they don't seem to have a spring made specifically for the wagon. However I have read the Epic springs deal with the wagon saggy but better.

Do you guys see any issues using these springs a on a daily driver that will see a few snow storms a year? I didn't think so but wanted to check. Thanks again.
    Display of Speed

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake&Bake
    I have seen these mention in my travels doing research as well. However they don't seem to have a spring made specifically for the wagon. However I have read the Epic springs deal with the wagon saggy but better.

Do you guys see any issues using these springs a on a daily driver that will see a few snow storms a year? I didn't think so but wanted to check. Thanks again.
    Obviously, you lose a bit of ground clearance, but it shouldn't be an issue unless you're dealing with areas that aren't properly maintained.

For the "saggy butt", consider buying spacers for springs that aren't wagon-specific.

UNYSOC

with PA winters you should be fine. as long as you have winter tires and not summer/dry tires that will help alot but ground clearance in the winter you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    with PA winters you should be fine. as long as you have winter tires and not summer/dry tires that will help alot but ground clearance in the winter you should be fine.
    Thanks Ruh Roh. I have all season tires right now. You know how these PA winters can be...either we get dumped on or nothing at all lol.
    Display of Speed

exactly lol i cant wait though, last year i only got to play in the snow once with Scooby. winter wheels will be going on once it starts getting colder. probably in december

Okay so I'm going to bring this thread back. Looking at replacing struts since I found the clunk is coming from a bad passenger side strut. So now I'm thinking of doing BC Coilovers since I can pick them up for a little under a grand and have a ton of adjustability. Compared to around 900 some dollars for tophats, struts, and then springs. Anyone have experience with coilovers on these cars and perhaps the BC brand? Thanks.
    Display of Speed

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Swift wagon springs still the best option for a DD in all weather climates?

A strut spring setup will both ride and handle better. The only reason to buy them is to say you have coils and you only care about looks.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A strut spring setup will both ride and handle better. The only reason to buy them is to say you have coils and you only care about looks.
    Thanks bro. Did a little more research and found out that the East Coast winters/salt would reck havoc on the coilovers. Struts and Springs it is. Just now debating on the Swift(which might be too low) or the STi Pinks(Wagon version). Swifts lower the front 1 inch, and the STi Pinks look like they lower the front half an inch. Not sure if the half inch drop is enough visually and the 1 inch is too much for a daily. I'm looking for both visual appeal and a slight handling increase. I'm leaning toward the STi pinks.
    Display of Speed

Wanted to update this thread. I went with the Swift Wagon springs, Excel-G shocks, KYB OEM replacement tophats, and a 1/4 Mach V Motorsports rear saggy butt spacer. Very happy with this set-up. Handling is improved and aggressive enough for a DD. Looks also improved, as the car sits a bit lower now. Great stance IMHO. Loving it. In a week or so I will be getting an alignment. Here's some before/after pics.

Before with stock suspension:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock-suspension.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	111633

Swift springs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swift-springs-wrx.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	111634
    Display of Speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast