225 vs 235 winter tire size. Need help, about to order!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 225 vs 235 winter tire size. Need help, about to order! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm about to order winter tires for my '13 wrx and was wondering if it's recommended to get 225x45x17 vs ...

225 vs 235 winter tire size. Need help, about to order!

I'm about to order winter tires for my '13 wrx and was wondering if it's recommended to get 225x45x17 vs the oem 235x45x17 size. I'm planning to use same original wheels and want to make sure they'll fit and that the narrower width is better in snow (I've read that but wasn't sure), otherwise I'll stick with 235's. Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It will throw off your speedo... but it's not a big deal otherwise. Skinnier is better for winter (to a point). You can even do 215/50's for winters. Some may not recommend it... but it'd be closer to your stock speedo.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

If you change from 235the to 225 I think you need tires to fit the smaller width

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    It will throw off your speedo... but it's not a big deal otherwise. Skinnier is better for winter (to a point). You can even do 215/50's for winters. Some may not recommend it... but it'd be closer to your stock speedo.
    I thought speed was based off of the rim size?

I Support ClubWRX
    No. It's based off the tire size.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    just did the math... the stock tire diameter would be 25.3inches. The 225/45 would be 25.0 inch diameter. That means at 60mph he'd be only 1mph off. So not as big of a deal as I thought it would be
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    No. It's based off the tire size.
    I got ya. And only being off by 1 mph isn;t anything. Especially is you're using it for winter tires.

Hey man, I'm actually in the same boat. I just got my 13 wrx last week & winter is coming next month. What is a good solid tire to purchase? I really don't know much about cars, but have money to spend. Any recommendations are welcome..price isn't an issue. (Minnesota)

Thanks guys. If the narrower tire size only gives marginal improvement in snow I'm inclined to stick with the 235 size. BlackonBlack...love the mean look of your ride. I was between that and the silver but went with silver since our other car is black. Anyway, I'm leaning towards the continental extremewintercontact tires from Tirerack. We have wicked winters in upstate ny and I'm willing to give up dry/wet performance for awesome ice/snow performance. I think these continentals seem to fit that bill based on reviews I've read.

Thanks man! Appreciated! I'll defiantly look into these tires. I got this car without ever even driving a manual! This **** is so much fun!

I doubt there'll be enough performance difference between narower tires. It's snow..
    But how is there more traction with less rubber?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOnBlack View Post
    Thanks man! Appreciated! I'll defiantly look into these tires. I got this car without ever even driving a manual! This **** is so much fun!
    You learned manual on yours? I'm looking into getting my fiancee one, but she's very limited on manual
    I kind of taught her on my old Lancer but we're talking stock economy sedan vs awd turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    I have blizzak's lm-60's... and I LOVE THEM
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Re: 225 vs 235 winter tire size. Need help, about to order!

I vote for the blizzaks when I lived in Alaska that's what everyone ran up there and they were awesome tires

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.