225 vs 235 winter tire size. Need help, about to order! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 225 vs 235 winter tire size. Need help, about to order! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yeah, I learned how to drive a manny on my brand new car lol. I had more than enogh to ...

Yeah, I learned how to drive a manny on my brand new car lol. I had more than enogh to pay cash for this baby..I hurt it leaving the dealership..lots of letting out the clutch fast..it's so touchy. Hopfully nothing got damaged lol...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Like any tips on driving it would be great...is there really a 3,000mile break in period? went 120 a couple times..so hard not to.

Re: 225 vs 235 winter tire size. Need help, about to order!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOnBlack View Post
    Like any tips on driving it would be great...is there really a 3,000mile break in period? went 120 a couple times..so hard not to.
    I was told by the dealer/manual its a 1000

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX

I've seen a bunch of recommendations for 1k mile break in and doing oil change at that point too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Try not to go over 4k rpms the first 1000miles. After that she's all yours. I did my first oil change at 3000.

It's in the manual.

New Car Break-in period

1000 miles: Drive calmly for the first 1,000 miles and vary your driving with a normal mix of city and highway.

Avoid hard starts and stops.
    Avoid over-revving the engine, try to keep RPMs under 4000.
    Vary your speeds over the full range of city and highway driving
    Don't use cruise control much, if at all.
    City and freeway driving is fine because that will vary the speeds
    I hope you weren't driving 120 mph on public roads. Driving of that nature is not really looked upon well on this forum.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Please be careful hopefully you were not on public roads going that fast. The wrx is a fun car to drive but please don't give us a bad name.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by skidgel
    I vote for the blizzaks when I lived in Alaska that's what everyone ran up there and they were awesome tires
    The problem with Blizzaks is that the compound that makes them "awesome" wears off after a season or two, at which point, they're equivalent to A/S tires (maybe a slight bit above).

I have run them in the past. I've since made the switch to Nokian and won't look back...

In terms of size, what you want in a winter tire is different than what you want in a summer tire. For winters, your goal is to have a narrower tire (so it "cuts" through snow), where for summer, you want a wide tire (for maximum contact patch).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I doubt there'll be enough performance difference between narower tires. It's snow..
    But how is there more traction with less rubber?
    The taller, narrower tire results in more pressure on the contact patch, so it bites through the snow to the road better. The wider tires float on the snow more and have to push more of the snow out of the way like a plow.
    Winter Tech - Size Selection of Winter / Snow Tires

I've been debating back and forth recently with a 205/50-17 or 215/55-16 set-up for my car. Either way, I'll be mounting up the General Altimax Arctic since I've been very pleased with General tires in the past and I've read good things about these ones too.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the General Altimax Arctic too. Third season soon on the set. Great tires. Just a tad bit too noisy on the freeway. Snow traction is fantastic. I'm just not too crazy about it in the dry. But then again it is a studless snow tire & it performs where it is meant to perform.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx
    I have the General Altimax Arctic too. Third season soon on the set. Great tires. Just a tad bit too noisy on the freeway. Snow traction is fantastic. I'm just not too crazy about it in the dry. But then again it is a studless snow tire & it performs where it is meant to perform.
    This is my go-to recommendation for budget winter tires.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    The taller, narrower tire results in more pressure on the contact patch, so it bites through the snow to the road better. The wider tires float on the snow more and have to push more of the snow out of the way like a plow.

I've been debating back and forth recently with a 205/50-17 or 215/55-16 set-up for my car. Either way, I'll be mounting up the General Altimax Arctic since I've been very pleased with General tires in the past and I've read good things about these ones too.
    Awesome man, thanks for the info

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post

Great first post! Repped
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I used 215/50/17 WS70 Blizzaks on my other wrx. Worked great but never put enough miles on them comment on how they performed once they lost some tread. On this car I'm using the stock wheels for winter with the General Altimax 235/45/17's. After the rebate and cash back on my card they cost me $470 shipped so I couldn't pass them up.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Hey man, I'm actually in the same boat. I just got my 13 wrx last week & winter is coming next month. What is a good solid tire to purchase? I really don't know much about cars, but have money to spend. Any recommendations are welcome..price isn't an issue. (Minnesota)
    Dunlop Winter Sport. Definitely the very best snow/cold weather performance tire out there. I've run them for hundreds of thousands of miles on Subarus, Porsches, and other cars and will never buy another snow tire as long as they make them. Awesome in all conditions, temps, roads, etc.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.