Winter tires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, Just picked up a 2013 STI and I need to put winter tires on her what's the best ...

Winter tires

Hi all,
    Just picked up a 2013 STI and I need to put winter tires on her what's the best options. I do have a set of 16" with studded tires in good condition that I had on my old 2009 impreza will they fit over the brake disc's? Are 17" better or should I stick with the std18". We get quite a long winter are studded better?
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

16" won't clear the STi Brembo brakes, so you should stick with 17 (just because you'll have more sidewall than an 18".

As far as studded tires, are they legally allowed where you live? If so, then it's your decision to run them or not.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure of any 16" wheels that fit over Brembos.

Personally, I run a set of ASA JH3 (17x7.5) wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7s (225/45/17). Studs will increase traction in bad conditions, but will reduce them on dry roads. Also, studs are only legal here for a certain time period (that said, I'd love to be cited for driving on studded tires when snow is on the ground outside that timeframe). If you don't need studs, I'd avoid it. For me, my driveway warrants it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are looking for a cheep set of wheels I believe 2007 + CRV wheels fit.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Michelin X-Ice is hands down my favorite snow tire. It gets awesome snow traction without studs, and it comes with a mileage warranty. Go 17" because 16" wheels absolutely will not fit over your brakes. There are plenty of 17" wheels you can purchase starting around 110 a wheel, and the extra sidewall helps alot with gaining more surface area on the ground for improved traction in wet and icy conditions.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ktesterman25
    Michelin X-Ice is hands down my favorite snow tire.
    How many winter tires have you used?

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    How many winter tires have you used?
    I have used both studded and stud less. At the present I think that I am going with stud less on 17" rims.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by deerjaks
    I have used both studded and stud less. At the present I think that I am going with stud less on 17" rims.
    I was referring to ktesterman25, who mentioned his "hands down favorite" snow tire. If he doesn't have experience with a lot of tires, "his favorite" doesn't mean much (no offense).

UNYSOC

I was referring to ktesterman25, who mentioned his "hands down favorite" snow tire. If he doesn't have experience with a lot of tires, "his favorite" doesn't mean much (no offense).
    Very true!!

I have used Blizzak WS60's and WS70's stud less. I will be putting on my second set of WS70's that were gifted to me by a friend who was moving. They perform well in deep snow, 1ft.+ and resist hydroplaning well. Grip on ice is pretty good for ice. Overall I am happy with them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX
    I have used Blizzak WS60's and WS70's stud less. I will be putting my second set of WS70's that were gifted to me by a friend who was moving. They perform well in deep snow, 1ft.+ and resist hydroplaning well. Grip on ice is pretty good for ice. Overall I am happy with them.
    The big issue with Blizzak tires is that the compound that makes them "great" wears off after a few seasons. By the time they get to ~50% tread, they're no better than a regular A/S tire...

UNYSOC

That is good to know, I run them year round and just put new snows on at the start of last winter so it was summer once the tread got below 50%. That being said I just drove to Aspen CO last night during a snow storm and tread is 3/32. Still griped fine but noticeably lowered water evacuation capabilities. I would not want to drive in heavier snow with them or heavy rain.

I drive around 10-15k miles a winter and often in the snow so even if I didn't run them year round I would probably only use them for one season any way.

To the OP I have also heard good things about General Altimax Arctic tires.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX
    To the OP I have also heard good things about General Altimax Arctic tires.
    I like them for an "inexpensive" option.

UNYSOC

I've got the Dunlop SP WinterSports and really like them. Great in the slush and with deeper water on the roads, and fantastic in the snow and ice. I drove them hard last winter and the tread has warn very well so far, I'm impressed.

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D

Winter Tire Comparisons and Reviews

I like them for an "inexpensive" option.
    I have no experience with snow tires on a performance car, since I've been driving suv's since 2001. Now I have a 2013 sedan, I live in MA, and the weather is coming (ack). Do you have any recommendations for us newbies? Should I look at dedicated wheels and tires, or use the stock wheels? I got a wheel and tire damage plan ($5000 repair or replacement), which the dealer essentially threw in with my deal, but I'd rather not damage the wheels if possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast