Winter tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Winter tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Alfa10 I have no experience with snow tires on a performance car, since I've been driving suv's ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa10
    I have no experience with snow tires on a performance car, since I've been driving suv's since 2001. Now I have a 2013 sedan, I live in MA, and the weather is coming (ack). Do you have any recommendations for us newbies? Should I look at dedicated wheels and tires, or use the stock wheels? I got a wheel and tire damage plan ($5000 repair or replacement), which the dealer essentially threw in with my deal, but I'd rather not damage the wheels if possible.
    Your call. I run a cheap set of wheels with dedicated winter tires on my car. It's a significant more cost up front, but I prefer having the proper tool for the job (rather than one that'll suffice). You can always mount/balance twice per year, but it'll eventually get to the point where you'd have been better off buying new wheels (plus, if a surprise storm comes up, you can swap wheels/tires easily).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    I've got the Dunlop SP WinterSports and really like them. Great in the slush and with deeper water on the roads, and fantastic in the snow and ice. I drove them hard last winter and the tread has warn very well so far, I'm impressed.

Dunlop†SP Winter Sport 3D

Winter Tire Comparisons and Reviews
    I've had these for two winters previously and they were good.

I currently have Michelin Alpins and they are very good in the white stuff.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa10 View Post
    I have no experience with snow tires on a performance car, since I've been driving suv's since 2001. Now I have a 2013 sedan, I live in MA, and the weather is coming (ack). Do you have any recommendations for us newbies? Should I look at dedicated wheels and tires, or use the stock wheels? I got a wheel and tire damage plan ($5000 repair or replacement), which the dealer essentially threw in with my deal, but I'd rather not damage the wheels if possible.
    Winter tires are a must basically. Whether you want to spend money on remounting/balancing twice a year is up to you. It's easier to have a dedicated wheel to just unbolt and rebolt at your leisure. One time cost over costs over many seasons...figure out which one you want to do.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa10 View Post
    I ordered a set of 16" steel wheels with General Altimax Arctic tires. I ordered them last year fearing that we would have snow but since it was such a mild winter i didnt really get a chance to use them other then as temporary wheels while i painted my OEM wheels gold.

I didnt order them with the tire pressure monitor I'll just tape over the warning light.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Yes that time and have never had to put on winters here as well...but i now know the stock STI's aren't made for any kind of slush...after NUMEROUS quotes the cheapest i could get was $1341 for rims and tires...yup no steels for the STI...alloys only because of brakes...so 17" is the smallest we can go and for those shopping out there make sure the peeps know what there talking about etc as rims need to be exact to clear those calipers!!!! Half the quotes had no idea what the heck they where talking about and said brakes don't matter anything will clear!!! Good Luck and safe winter to all subbies out there!!!!

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Winter tires

I have seen various posts on NASIOC stating that the stock 17" steelies from Honda CRVs will fit the STI & clear the Bremboes.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Winter tires

Consider buying used wheels. They're going to be exposed to bad weather and rock salt, so who cares if they're scuffed up? It's not like you're in "show mode" during winter months (al least, I'm not)...

My winter wheels aren't pretty, but they're not ugly. I lucked out, though, in that my mechanic had wheels and tires sitting someone stiffed him on and he was just looking to unload them.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

My winter set is my factory set.. so I run the '10 wheels with General's on them for winter and for summer I run the '11 wheels with summer tires.

I bought my winters last year and got to use them for a week.. then took them back off because the ambient temp wasn't getting below 50*F

Hopefully I'll get some use out of them this year.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Yes that time and have never had to put on winters here as well...but i now know the stock STI's aren't made for any kind of slush...after NUMEROUS quotes the cheapest i could get was $1341 for rims and tires...yup no steels for the STI...alloys only because of brakes...so 17" is the smallest we can go and for those shopping out there make sure the peeps know what there talking about etc as rims need to be exact to clear those calipers!!!! Half the quotes had no idea what the heck they where talking about and said brakes don't matter anything will clear!!! Good Luck and safe winter to all subbies out there!!!!
    I just got a set of Dunlop Graspic DS-3 235/45-17 mounted on Moda MD14 17" wheels with tax and shipped for $1307.96 from TireRack. Talk to Jared.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12