Beadlocks

This is a discussion on Beadlocks within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am wanting to prep my wrx up for rally use. I come from a long line of jeeps and ...

Beadlocks

I am wanting to prep my wrx up for rally use. I come from a long line of jeeps and this will be the first 'offroad' car I have owned. All my jeeps were equipped with beadlocks and I was wondering if a WRX with beadlocks is something to invest in. I know the tires wont be ran in low psi like my jeeps have been but I like the whole 'better safe than sorry' motto. Any input?
    2010 WRX Pr. - All Stock -

"Great Scotts!" -Doc

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Beadlocks

I cannot find anything in the FIA rules prohibiting this, but the term is probably very localized and the rules are not in everyday language or even racing lingo, they are in legaleeze.

Ask your local sanctioning body.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see any real purpose to it, really. It seems like most rally drivers have no issue with "low" PSI tires and even harsh transitions.

Unless you're hitting things all the time, or have a persistent leak (which you should fix anyway), it seems like a waste of money and added weight.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX

Beadlocks

Before mousse came along people would be changing tyres in the middle of stages. There was a fancy crazy move where they'd tilt the entire car onto its side using a wheel as a prop. Things change though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I have not witnessed any races of cars breaking the seal nor wearing beadlocks. On the trail repairs is an art form. I once had a cooling fan eat into my radiator in a deep trail I spent all day bending and soldering the fins to be able to get home. Also used a ditch to replace a broken drive shaft.

"Great Scotts!" -Doc

The only person I saw running beadlocks for any sort of rally type motorsport is Rhys Millen on his GRC Veloster.

I would spend money else where before even thinking about beadlocks. Get proper wheels, tires and a skid plate.

That's all in the game plan. Protection is the first to be upgraded.

"Great Scotts!" -Doc