What OEM GR Sti parts are an upgrade for GR WRX

This is a discussion on What OEM GR Sti parts are an upgrade for GR WRX within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently purchased a 2013 WRX Hatch and was wondering if OEM Sti parts such as lateral links, trailing arms, ...

What OEM GR Sti parts are an upgrade for GR WRX

I recently purchased a 2013 WRX Hatch and was wondering if OEM Sti parts such as lateral links, trailing arms, even the intake manifold are upgrades for the new WRX. I know from previous generations all of those oarts are an upgrade to a WRX. Any info is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The rear suspension and body shell are really the only similarities between the two. The turbo outlets are different so the intercooler and whatnot will not fit, the front calipers are a direct bolt on.. but you'll need rotors that are drilled for 5x100 and lines that fit the brembo calipers. The rear calipers will bolt on with adapter brackets .. and you'll need to use the '10 LGT rotors.

The rear suspensions are just about Identical.. as are spring rates f/r. (I have 08 sti springs on the front of my '10 wrx to level it out) .. suspension wise there isn't much that will cross over to make any noticeable upgrade. Sway bars, springs.. etc.. all available aftermarket for a little more and there will be a much more noticeable difference in performance vs using STI takeoffs.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Thanks for the quick reply and info, that's too bad about the links and arms those were such a big difference on earlier WRXs.

They're the same that's why no gain. You can swap all the bushings out for Group N.. that way its still streetable and comfortable but the sti oem parts wont offer any improvement. The rear suspension between the 08+ cars are litrerally identical in components and materials. The rear damping on the STI is a little better than the wrx.. but that's about it. Everything else is the same stamped steel/rubber bushing stuff the wrx already has.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Good to know also, the newer WRXs are much better deals now.

My next one.. if a wrx variety car will be an STI. The only thing that stopped me from buying a new one in oct 09 when I bought my '10 was the insurance cost. For the amount of money you'd spend to buy a wrx + upgrading to get the same performance of a STI you would quickly pass the out the door price of the STI.

That said though, I'm completely happy with my wrx with a few slight suspension mods and stageII. So I figure knowing that I'd be very happy with a factory STI... likely I'd do a stageI tune just to smooth it out. But otherwise the factory STI is a really nice package.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I hear you, for me it was the rediculous mark up here in Hawaii. I've been looking for a used one for a while but nothing I'd actually purchase pops up here too often. I used to own a 06 Sti which I traded in for an 08 Evo X and I am perfectly satisfied with the new 2013 WRX, worth the money and i don't aim to be an Sti but a pretty nice WRX thanks again.

I know the 12 STI rear sway bar fits the 12 wrx...nice little OEM upgrade for 100 bucks