Another spring thread

This is a discussion on Another spring thread within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know all the snazzle frazzle about s-techs and the lower end springs. However I've yet tome across a decent ...

Another spring thread

I know all the snazzle frazzle about s-techs and the lower end springs. However I've yet tome across a decent threat on here or NASIOC about a few brands and just wanted to get a few people's opinions on different manufactures.

Anyone want to comment on these brands?

Megan makes some ok stuff, saw a lowering spring on eBay they had. Anyone know anything about it?

Tanabe I've seen on some vendors sites here and other places. I honestly know nothing much of this brand so anyone at all with experience would help me out.

I know ksport is a more reputable brand however, after lurking a site from Canada I saw a spring only option they had. I could imagine few have seen this, I could be wrong?

Also read a post about skunk2s for the 02 model.

I've seen decent reviews on eibachs springs as too.

I do know that rce and swift are most likely the best routes to go here. It was just eating my insides knowing these other brands are semi-reputable and not seeing much on them. On the other hand maybe it's because you guys know they suck and I don't.

As far as what I'm applying this to and other info you need to better make your decision. Here

2002 wrx. These will be going on stock struts. I know they will need to be replaced but I'm not concerned with that at the moment.

Car will be used for a semi daily. I am building the suspension up currently. The springs will be coupled with whiteline front and rear sways and most likely cusco strut mounts.

If I've missed anything information wise I'll try to update when I'm not on my phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The struts likely need to be replaced yesterday. Without knowing what struts they're going on, we can't really advise you. Putting springs on original '02 struts would be a waste of money; if you're going to tear apart the assembly, you want to replace everything.

Megan Racing anything is garbage. You saw them on eBay for a reason.

Skunk2 is garbage.

Tanabe makes an alright spring, but I wouldn't bother with them.

Moral of the story: give us a budget, then ask about springs. Until then, keep the stock ones.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Re: Another spring thread

I knew I had forgotten something. Sorry my friend I appreciate you filling me in on what I left out.

My budget at the moment is around 300. That was just for the springs.

I can get struts at any moment. Just trying to get my whole suspension parts list together. I do not wanth coilovers.

Struts I have not researched yet. Thus the reason I called this tread "spring blah blah".

Around 300 for my springs is what I'm looking for. Seems reasonable to get a good product for that. Already spoke with a swift dealer for around that price.

Just wondering about the others

I Support ClubWRX
    Your spring budget means nothing. What is your full budget? You need to replace your struts and tophats while you're doing the spring install...

UNYSOC

I think your missing the point of this thread. I'm looking specifically for springs here. I. Know what I need to do. I'm not looking for struts yet.

But to suit your need for information. I don't really have a budget. Because if I were to need more money. I would simply save.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by C1iffyp
    I think your missing the point of this thread. I'm looking specifically for springs here. I. Know what I need to do. I'm not looking for struts yet.

But to suit your need for information. I don't really have a budget. Because if I were to need more money. I would simply save.
    I'm not missing anything...if you want to do the work twice (and pay for two alignments), go for it.

Better struts allow for better springs. Springs I'd recommend for OE/OE-replacement struts would not be the same ones I'd recommend for struts like Tokico D-Specs / Koni Yellows. If your struts are still original, any spring you put on them will end their life in short order, causing you to replace them. My advice is to hold off until you're willing to replace everything at once. If my advice is going to fall on deaf ears, I'm done with this thread...

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'm not missing anything...if you want to do the work twice (and pay for two alignments), go for it.

Better struts allow for better springs. Springs I'd recommend for OE/OE-replacement struts would not be the same ones I'd recommend for struts like Tokico D-Specs / Koni Yellows. If your struts are still original, any spring you put on them will end their life in short order, causing you to replace them. My advice is to hold off until you're willing to replace everything at once. If my advice is going to fall on deaf ears, I'm done with this thread...
    I see where youre coming from.

In that case. I can honestly say I don't know what struts go for seeing as how I've only looked for springs.

Let's say I wanted to couple something with swift or rce. A oe replacement wouldn't suffice correct? What's a good combo? Without going in to coilovers price range. Just guessing at a number. Maybe 600?

I Support ClubWRX
    I see where youre coming from.

In that case. I can honestly say I don't know what struts go for seeing as how I've only looked for springs.

Let's say I wanted to couple something with swift or rce. A oe replacement wouldn't suffice correct? What's a good combo? Without going in to coilovers price range. Just guessing at a number. Maybe 600?

$600 won't allow you to run the upper-end Swift (Spec-R) or RCE springs.

You'll be limited to OE-replacement struts and springs. You'll be reusing the tophats (not ideal, but not as bad as reusing the struts). With that, I'd recommend Swift Sport, SPT Pink, or STI takeoff springs paired with KYB GR2 struts.

UNYSOC

Thank you thank you. Just because. Lets say I was looking at 800-1000 bucks?

Also keep in mind this is a dd. No track. No auto cross

Maybe I'm just not up to date w Subaru. On just about all of the Honda's I've owned I've managed to keep my spring strut setup under 600 ish

I Support ClubWRX
    Lets say I was looking at 800-1000 bucks?
    With a $1000 budget for struts/springs, I'd step up the struts to the Koni Yellows and recommend the same springs. You could go with the better Swift/RCE springs, but the tophats will still be original. To really make use of the better springs at that point, I'd want to upgrade them.

Honestly, you'd likely see more improvement from GR2 struts / springs, and using the remaining money towards upgrading your sways/endlinks.

UNYSOC

I agree and your saying thats essentially top of the line combo.

What if I got a already together set of tokicos or kybs.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree and your saying thats essentially top of the line combo.

What if I got a already together set of tokicos or kybs.
    KYB makes the GR2, which is an OE replacement strut. I'd go that route, if I were you, with the springs I already mentioned.

UNYSOC

I was thinking the same thing. Gr-2's I've used on many cars. Ill most likely do those with the swift springs and new top hats. Thanks for talking through it with me.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was thinking the same thing. Gr-2's I've used on many cars. Ill most likely do those with the swift springs and new top hats. Thanks for talking through it with me.
    Swift Sport springs are great springs for OE/OER struts. If you can chalk up the $$ for Whiteline Com-C front mounts, do it. Pair that with a set of camber bolts for the rear, it gives you much better options for your alignment (required).

UNYSOC