Quick brake question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Quick brake question within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've been browsing the forums and learning a bit about brakes and rotors and such. I decided to finally ...

Quick brake question

So I've been browsing the forums and learning a bit about brakes and rotors and such. I decided to finally buy new brake pads. I purchased my car used about 3 months ago and I've been slowing going over the car and making sure regular consumables and normal maintenance stuff is being done. It had 4 owners prior so kinda unsure about certain things that are on the car already.

I have a 2002 WRX with an A/T. Since I bought it 3 months ago the only thing I've done was change the battery (getting voltages as low as 9-10 on idle) and the ignition coils (rough idle with misfires) and spark plugs and I did a coolant flush and change after a hose blew. I got the car used at 93k miles so I've been slowly doing maintenance as I've been saving up the cash.

When I first got the car a buddy of mine whose a tech for VW took a quick look and said the pads are okay. I've been hearing more and more noise and squeaking and I want to change them. I'm sure they might be okay and might not need changing but I want them changed for my own piece of mind. I didn't put the pads on there and I don't know who did or what kind they are. The rotors are also going to be checked out as well but for now I'm focusing on the pads.

I've been researching and narrowed it down to 2 different brands:
    The StopTech Street Performance Pads and the Hawk HPS Street Brake Pads. My car was manufactured in 02/02 so I have an idea as to which pads are on there now, plus ill have someone else double check with me when I get the wheels off.
    For the front at backs the StopTechs are going for 102 before tax and shipping and the Hawks are going for 171. That about a 70$ difference.

From what I read, correct me if I'm wrong please but a majority of the people that went with the Hawks were already at stage 2. Is there a method behind this madness or was it just a coincidence on the posts and different forums I've been on? I plan on going stage 2 but I don't have the money to yet and 70$ difference can go into my stage 2 savings. Or are the Hawks definitely worth the extra 70 if so I take safety over anything.

This car is my daily driver, I don't race, launch, or do anything crazy. Sure I may go over 60 or 70 on the high way but that's for a relatively short time and when there is space on the road where I don't have to hit my brakes right away.
    So yeah that's pretty much it just looking for some feedback guys. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The Hawk HPS have been an excellent DD pad. I ran them for a few years, even during many autox events. They are fade resistant enough for autox and perform very well on the street. I've gotten plenty of miles on them, they are quiet and do not dust too much.

I recently switched over to the entry level race track HP Plus for a track day last week. They bite harder making for a firmer pedal, are somewhat noisy and dust more. I've gotten used to the increased bite / feel and will likely keep them on for a while for comparison.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Yeah the Hawk HPS pads are lookin pretty good. Still doing some more research though. Might make a small pro and con list to justify the $70 difference, but in all honesty I've been eyeing the Hawks. Thanks for the input!

BTW, im not to familiar with brakes and such, but from what ive read some of the more high performace pads or track pads make noise most of the time, more more so than street pads, correct? Because of the type of material it is made from I would assume? Is this noise like squealing/squeaking or like grinding noise? Or does it differ from brand to brand. I was just curious.

i switched to the stoptech street pads, and actually have another set here that i need to put on. They provide a nice grip, and noticable improvement over the stock.

they do dust a lot, but I personally didn't care that much. for the price, you can't go wrong with them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.